1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prom Photo Booth Settings Help!

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Andy Wilde, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Andy Wilde

Andy Wilde New Member

Hello,

I am new to dSLR Amateur Photography and have been volunteered to take some photos at my daughters end of Primary School Prom this evening. My experience to date has been to take most of the photos in Full Auto mode, I have experimented with other modes with some success but more trial and error.

The prom is being held indoors with a Disco so lots of flasing coloured lights and I have been asked if I can setup a Photo Booth (props are being provided). I was going to put up a white sheet as a backdrop for the booth in a non-disco part of the room.

I am after some advice on the right settings I need to set on the camera. I have a Canon EOS 350D with a Sigma DCOS 18-200mm 1:3.5-6.3 lense and a tripod for the photo booth area.

For the photo booth I was thinking the settings would be (the kids will have to remain still with the props on):
    Manual Mode (M)
    ISO 400 or 800
    f3.5
    Not sure on the shutter speed
    Inbuilt flash on
    Use Tripod

For the general photos I am not sure what settings to use as I will be holding the camera and the kids will be moving/dancing around.

Any assistance anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Andy

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Put the camera in P - you're over thinking it (especially if you're going to use on-camera flash anyway).

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I saw this too late - you will be done by now. For next time. With Canon flash the E-TTL system controls the amount of flash-light needed for the chosen aperture and ISO. Any contribution from ambient light is controlled by the exposure time. Best to set it yourself to avoid overlong exposures and incurring blur from subject movement. Aperture priority is an absolute no in poor light. I would hope Program mode limits exposure time but manual is the safest. I learned the hard way coming to Canon EOS from cameras that set exposure time to 1/60 when you attached a flash I shot 2 rolls of 36 exp with the camera on aperture priority. Total waste of time as it set exposure time according to the room lighting.