1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Professor Newman 26 September

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PhotoEcosse, Sep 23, 2015.

1. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Could you name one, Andy? Google couldn't find one.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Ergos must be a favourite (or possibly fave) word of togs, photographers who are too lazy to write anything in full.

I'm surprised he didn't use the word "haptics" (or maybe he did: I haven't seen the article yet). "Haptic", meaning more or less "tactile interface" in its most common 21st century usage, was coined in 1890: even Wikipedia clarifies matters a little. It's in the same volume of the OED (2nd ed. VI) as "futtock".

Cheers,

R.

3. Andy Westlake

Andy Westlake AP Staff

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Andy, I clicked on a few of those (I ignored Hilary Clinton) and one didn't have the word at all. In several others it was ergo (therefore?) and in one other it was used as an obvious abbrv. (or abrv.) because the writer used ergonomics in a previous paragraph. In one other, I found ergos but the context was not entirely clear; the written English was none too good but may not have been 'first language' if you know what I mean. I am suspecting an American-based forum may have Spanish/Latin-American tendencies these days and I wonder whether this has helped create the word?

As for me, I'll pass on that, if I may, and stick to 'handling'.

But not in the road/race car context. ;) Obviously. :D Or the fountain pen/ball-point pen context, either. :p:D

Cheers, Oly

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Silly me, should've looked there - I've been having a nice holiday away from DPR forums this year, kept my sanity more or less intact. Despite the general excellence of the technical writers, the forums have always been the home of most of the photographic pseudoscience, navel-peeping, insanity and inanity on the web. ;)

7. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Purveyors of needless panic and paranoia too. There's an old joke among Pentax users about how to cure the front/back focus problem on the K5: stop reading the DPR forum.