1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Professor Newman 26 September

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by PhotoEcosse, Sep 23, 2015.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

In this week's issue, Professor Newman begins his piece with the statement:

Really?

Em, what are "camera fans"? I've heard of Arsenal fans, cooling fans, even Canon fans. But never camera fans.

So, do we assume that he means enthusiastic photographers?

If so, I have yet to hear a photographer use the word "ergos" and I can't recall having read it in any thread on this forum.

Hmmmm.

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

:confused:

Que?

As far as can tell Ergos isn' a word...

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well I reckon I'm a camera fan, but no, I had never heard the word anywhere, and was wondering where the prof had.

4. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

5. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Eric, here I am from posting on the subject of 'editing.v.processing' and find some more frantic semantics to deal with! Well, there's a thing. I am used to 'ergo' being used to replace the longer 'therefore'. Is 'ergos' a shortening of 'ergonomics'? Am I turning into Roger Hicks? Will Manchester United win the Premiership this season? Can Heironymus Merkin ever forget Mercy Humppe and find true happiness? Cheers, Oly

6. Sejanus.Aelianus

Aaaaarrrrgggghhhhhh!

Everyone for themself...

[​IMG]

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I think Panasonic doesn't know Ergos either.

The way my thumb on my right hand hits two stray buttons with a regularity bordering on always - instead of the totally wrongly placed thumb rest right at the top - makes me think I'm either malformed or Panasonic has no idea where one's thumb is!

8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

True of most cameras.
    Rather than place buttons where fingers and thumbs can miss or reach them naturally. One has to learn how to contort our hands and twist our fingers to reach buttons placed for the benefit of the crippled hands and minds of designers.

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

It wasn't but it is now.
    If an appropriate word does not exist in English, and there is no appropriate word that can be appropriated from a foreign tongue then we must invent the missing word. Language dies without the invention of words.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

But is it a word now? The only usage any of us have been able to find is by the prof in this article - no evidence anyone else has ever used it.

11. PhotoEcosse

I have decided to invent a new word.

It is "futtocks".

I would encourage as many people as possible to use it as often as they can.

As part of an evolving, organic language, its meaning will evolve through common usage....

12. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

They're everywhere! Both the old type, those who collect cabinet upon cabinet of 'classics' to the modern day compulsive purchaser there are many people whose interest lies primarily in the camera rather than photography.

13. Sejanus.Aelianus

You're only fifty years too late. Mr J Peasemold Gruntfuttock was a regular guest on "Round the Horne" and a very interesting gentleman, if you like that sort of thing.

:)

14. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That takes me back - Kenneth Williams surely?

Nice to know that I am not the only one who stared at the word "ergos" and thought "What?"

15. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ^^^ . . . . . . . . and totally baffled.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . WHS

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well no - we're talking "ergos", not ergonomics. From the prof.:

The whole article goes on to explain the difference between ergonomically-designed controls and those dictated by fancy design or marketing requirements.

Still have no idea where he got this word from, though. If Google can't find it, and none of us have ever heard it before, it must have a pretty limited circulation in the rarified surroundings in which the good prof moves. ;)

17. Andy Westlake

Andy Westlake AP Staff

I suspect there's a subtle difference; on certain internet forums (obviously not this one) it's possible to come across 'camera fans' who aren't obviously 'enthusiastic photographers', but seem to be more interested in ideological point scoring on behalf of their favoured type or brand of camera, often via such things as DxOMark sensor scores.

Over the past year or so, it has become commonly used on some other popular camera forums. As explained in the column, it's a contraction of 'ergonomics', which the OED defines as 'the study of people's efficiency in their working environment', and is therefore itself being misused in this context. It's what we'd generally refer to as 'Handling' when talking about cameras.

18. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Kate, I am sure some obscure 'God' or 'Goddess' will be invented for the Greeks to have worshiped on tops of mountains 4000yrs ago merely to justify this word. Probably when it was covered with snow and one of them was sitting on a toboggan. Another had a foot on the toboggan and said 'Ergos' and then let it go.

Down at the foot of the mountain, was some poor peasant & his wife, going about their daily business. Missus says "Ercomes" just before toboggan and passenger hits the man in the head and kills him.

At the funeral, everyone is mourning and wailing the sad outcome. :p

Then the coffin is lifted to be taken to the tomb. Outgoes.

Simples.

Cheers, Oly:eek:

19. PhotoEcosse

Yes - can appreciate that folk who collect cameras as objects might be described as "camera fans". However, I wouldn't apply the term to compulsive purchasers who, I suspect, despite their compulsion to have the latest kit, see the cameras as tools in their pursuit of photographic excellence (or more modest progress). Maybe they are better decribed as "photography fans".

20. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Too late. It's been in use from 1611 (OED) in shipbuilding and rigging, and is probably derived from "foot-hooks". A quick Google will tell you more.

Cheers,

R.