1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ProCameraShop - any satisfied customers?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Apr 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Has anyone purchased from or done business with ProCameraShop based in Carlisle?

Their website looks OK, is easy to navigate, and their prices are significantly below those found on CameraPriceBuster, so my instinct says, seek a 2nd. opinion... Could they be grey imports?

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I've seen them before and the cautious side of my nature suspects that they likely are a far east based operation.

3. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

They are based in Kowloon, Hong Kong.
    just go to their terms and conditions page to find the details.

So yes, they will supply grey squirrels.....err, imports:p

4. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Hi Malcolm

Procamerashop sell mostly, but not exclusively, grey imports. They are quite up-front about this. If you ask they will tell you if an item is grey or not. They seem honest with good customer service

They run their own warranty service which from what I've read elsewhere is very reliable. They're communications are really very good indeed and they are very easy to contact. They generally respond to emails the same day with very helpful information.

Their stuff is all in stock in the UK and your postage is free ( a great bonus considering their often rock-bottom prices ) so you don't need to get it shipped from HK or the like and their delivery times are very good.

I've bought from them a couple of times and their service is great. You just need to check some of their prices though because sometimes they are not as cheap as mainstream distributors like WEX or Amazon. OTOH you can often make really huge savings.

They give you a 14 day no quibble money back guarantee and when I considered sending an item back to them they were absolutely as good as their word. I'd certainly rather deal with them than someone like Digital Rev who although seemingly reliable AFAIK sell stock which is pretty far away.

I'd have no hesitation in buying from them again and as long as your happy with a grey import ( which for many items, I am ) then they are well worth checking out.

Willie

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  5. Malcolm_Stewart

Thanks for all your replies.

The item I'm thinking about is the TSE 24 F3.5L II, and the difference between the price on their website, and the cheapest elsewhere is 00s of pounds. I've also come across reports on Fred Miranda's website that one person got one which was decentred, so I'm being cautious.

At the moment, Amazon do have it a price lower than most of the established camera shops, and if things go as they did a few weeks ago, Amazon will raise their price back to normal after 24 hours.

6. willie45

Only you can decide if you are happy with "grey" I guess. These guys have very good reviews

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews249632.html

and they do offer a 14 day return policy which should give you a chance to check it out ;)

Willie

7. Malcolm_Stewart

Thanks, Willie.

Quite an interesting read.

8. Meredith

Meredith Well-Known Member

Canon lenses have international warranties so if there were any problem with it Canon UK should help.

9. willie45

Actually, this is probably not the case because Procamerashop removes the warranty card from the product. I'm not sure why they do this. I suspect it must be a requirement from the manufacturer or something so I wouldn't count on Canon UK honouring the warranty.

You could ask the shop. As I say they are pretty upfront about it all and will advise

Willie

10. bench_ubbster

bench_ubbster Well-Known Member

Yes. I bought my Sigma 150-500mm from them (I wrote a review on this website).

The lens did go wrong and I returned it to Sigma thinking the repair would be covered by the warranty. However, I got a letter from Sigma telling me they were charging for the repair. So, I phoned them up and it turned out that in fact my lens originated from Germany. So, as an the EU-wide warranty did in fact cover the repair. Even so, ProCameraShop do have there own warranty (according to their website) to cover anything like this. I wouldn't hesitate from buying from them again. The package arived very quickly and I think it was posted from the UK.

11. fellwalker46

fellwalker46 New Member

A late addition from a new member. Like others in the thread my experience with procamerashop is positive. Just received a Canon EOS 650D from them, with the new EF-S 18-135mm IS STM as a kit lens. Ordered late Wednesday afternoon, arrived Friday lunchtime, comprehensive updates and tracking info all the way. Pre-purchase communication by phone and email was very good. Some items may be grey (they are upfront about it) but they offer their own warranty using UK repairers, and there are no worries about customs or VAT. My camera and lens show no evidence of origin: properly boxed, UK plug, user manual etc. and were accepted by Canon for online warranty registration. Price was good but not fantastic; I used them primarily because of availability. I needed the camera in time for a holiday and none of the big UK dealers have the camera plus STM lens (and don't know when they'll get it). After this experience I'll use procamerashop again - though you have to be careful - prices for some items are not competitive.

12. Chris Cool

Chris Cool Retired

Buyer be warned!

As usual with these foreign suppliers there is a warning that YOU are responsible for Customs duty, Import tax, VAT and Royal mail charges...

Scroll down to bottom of page. Governing law, jurisdiction and customs taxes

Clicky for T&Cs

13. Malcolm_Stewart

Many thanks for your input. The more information, the better.

Since my original query, I've bought a 45 TS-E, and have tried out a borrowed 24 TS-E original. It can do amazing things, but towards the edges it's not good, so the Mark II version beckons... at a suitable price.

14. dynamic25

dynamic25 New Member

I'd be very wary of this company. I ordered a canon SLR from them and even though they promised by email a next day delivery the camera was delayed and then lost (and then lost again). Spent the best part of a week chasing this up and waiting around for delivery. Personally next time I'll pay the extra and go to a reputable company such as WEX.

15. willie45

Wow! This is an old thread. Funny to see it resurrected and by someone's first post :)

Welcome to the forum, Dynamic and look forward to hearing from you again soon :)

Willie

16. Harold47

Harold47 Member

Hi chaps.

I registered to ask about procamerashop. (your site is near the top of Google, when researching) I've read many positive reviews of this company, a few not so good and some very worying, so not really sure what to believe.

I have been reading as much as possible about them, but keep picking up on information I am not sure about and even though some of their prices are enticing, they are holding me back me if I am honest.

It seems they aren't a UK company but operate from Hong Kong and i'm a little wary of purchasing from outside the offical channels, especially regarding warranties and possible monetary penalties of importing such as any Import duty and V.A.T. but also what are the issues with gray imports?

I wondered if I am being over cautious, or are there real risks?

Thank you in advance,
    H.

17. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Harold,

Welcome to the AP Forums :cool:

I recently bought my Canon EOS M from procamerashop and I had the best of service. OK, it was not a UK model but was a good £180 cheaper and it was posted to me from a UK address, Carlisle IIRC.

If you are unsure of them, I would suggest trying Flashcamera.co.uk, do a search for Kerso on the Internet for references.

18. Harold47

Harold47 Member

Hi Bawbee, thank you for your quick response.

Thing is, I too initially thought they were a UK company in Carlisle, but some folk are saying they just use an agent to post out cheap imported items and I as the purchaser could be liable for import duty etc?

There were also seemingly more serious issues. Too many to list or remember if I am honest, my head is spinning with it all.

This was one report I picked up on from the same google page as I found this site http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/anyone-used-pro-camera-shop-before-1046565#comments which started to worry me.

Obviously I would like to utilise the best prices available, but do not want to regret any decision.

I have heard of digitalreview before, but will certainly consider your recommendation too. Previously I have purchased the odd item from wex and Jessops, but usually use my local independent if possible and can afford to, but money is tighter these days, so trying to find the best deal. I am not an internet shopper really, it is all quite new to me.

Thank you again. Much appreciated.
    H

19. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

Harold,

Just remember that the 'cheap imported items' are manufactured and shipped from the same plant. The only difference is that anything imported has to have the import duty, VAT etc., applied, together with the additional cost of the manufacturer's UK division. The only thing that you won't have is a UK warranty but Procamerashop will,honour any warranties.

IIRC, I received an invoice from Procamerashop with the VAT listed - you will certainly get that from Kerso (Flashcamera).

20. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Quite frankly, if you have doubts buy elsewhere. I am not casting aspersions on this seller, but you clearly don't feel 100% about this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.