1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probably True

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhotoEcosse, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

This is much my point.... only at the top end of things does performance become significantly different. It hardly matters at all who puts the components together, each spec is sold on price. Though reputation and general build quality and attention to detail has a value.
    With an AMD computer there are differences between their processors and Intel. For some things like stitching using PTAssembler an 8 core CPU would have an advantage over a similar four core Intel, as that program can use every core at the same time on individual pairs of images. However the memory is divided between them, and to take full advantage, 32 GB of ram would be rather better for larger image files. In your case the 8 cores are on the GPU, so no advantage.
    If you paid only £400 for it. it suggest it is an earlier generation of mother board , processor and other components... they will be as fast as they ever were, but probably lag behind more recent offerings. For instance my old computer could no longer be upgraded in any way, with out changing the mother board first. Even the case was a limiting factor. So i had hit a wall. But £400 does not hack it today....:(

2. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

How fast can you type ? I know I still type as badly as I did when I used wordstar.... decades of advancement and I am still the weakest link in the chain...

Graeme

3. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

it is a generational thing
    some kids can thumb an Ipad faster than I can type on a keyboard.

4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

When I worked at Dun & Bradstreet we went from data entry clerks entering our information into dumb terminals to get stuff onto the database to us all having our own IBM PCs and having to enter our own data while we were on the telephone.

In order to 'teach' us to type, the powers that be supplied us all with a game called The Lobster Sea Adventure. A line of text appeared on the screen and we had to type in a copy of the line...but here's the catch...as soon as you started typing, an animated lobster would appear at the start of what you'd typed and start eating the words! You had to stay ahead of the lobster in order to keep going.

The company then announced that anybody who couldn't stay ahead of the lobster on level 10 of the game (I think it was) wouldn't be able to type at a sufficient speed to keep their job!

As a result of this ultimatum and that bloody lobster I've managed to become a pretty competent touch-typist - to the point where (in order to deter others from using my computer at work) I have a keyboard where most of the letter keys are blank. They've worn off and I see no reason to replace the keyboard since I don't actually look at it when I'm typing something.

Cheers, Jeff

5. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Just checked the price, £334 just before Christmas 2016, for PC with no operatingsystem, Win 7 pro disc bought separate. I find Ebuyer prices to be competitive to say the least.

6. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

My typing skills mystify me. I never had any formal training and still am mostly using two fingers to type but I can touch type and have been clocked at 65wpm i'd probably break the sound barrier if I was taught how to use all my other fingers!

Then again probably not given my standard level of co-ordination only using two fingers means they don't get tangled up (much anyway) if someone tried to teach me to use all my fingers I'd literally get knotted!

Catriona likes this.
  7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I used to be able to use calculators and the numeric pad on the keyboard without looking, I could work up a great speed until I thought about it. Then I was all thumbs. Same went for punching cards. I never learnt to touch type either, but I'm quick enough, so not bothered.

PS I am left handed - and of course, numeric keypads and calculators are/were all right handed.

8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Before I even got into computing I had a job where I had to fill in Mark-Sense cards which I guess some other poor devil had to punch. I once timed myself and found that each card took about 6 minutes and that was after I'd learned all the codes by heart. :(

Catriona likes this.
  9. Catriona

It was way back in the early 70s before I got into computing myself. Much more interesting! :)

10. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Remember the pre-computer punch cards where you stuck a needle through the holes and shook. The ones that fell were your selection.

Catriona likes this.
  11. Catriona

?Hollerith? I remember those from my days in Eng Wing HQ in the RAF in 1965.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Not surprisingly both Apple and Microsoft go to great lengths to enable just that. I am using a recently purchased MacBook Pro 13" with Retina screen, it behaves almost exactly the same way as does my older MacBook Pro 15" except that the higher screen resolution allows me to see more of my photographs without resorting to 100%. So why bother? Simple really it is of a high enough specification to run a piece of software called ProPresenter.

Buying a new camera is different, resolution is of much greater significance as is high ISO performance, if in every other respect it feels the same the manufacturer has done a good job. Usually however there are AF improvements and minor handling tweeks as well. Do you really want a massively different camera? If you do switch brands and take out a mortgage to replace all your lenses.