1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probably True

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhotoEcosse, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Yes, due in 2018, and there are also a couple of fast lenses too, an f1.2 85mm and f0.95 50mm. Apparently, the Russian manufacturer has teamed up with another (Cosina?) manufacturer to fully develop this product, which will retain the style and 'peculiarities' present in it's last camera models ...

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Don't think that was the case. I never crashed any other program more often than any Word version!

I used to say to my staff, don't be afraid to play! If you can crash it, then the program's at fault (or me!). Word always managed to crash.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Back then you could tell what hardware someone used from their spreadsheet - Visicalc for 6502 stuff like Apple or Commodore and Supercalc for anything running CP/M. Then there were the people running BOS or Unix or VMS - they'd just look blank if you said "spreadsheet" :D

4. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

The Atari Ste and Falcon users could run Apple apps via the cartridge port the Spectre GCR (stuffed with Apple OS-Roms) or a software only programme called Aladin. Another weird and wonderful set-up I encountered in an office once, was a PC using a Z80(S?) processor running UNIX, which had 6 terminals running off it using word-processing or spreadsheet software. No idea who made this thing though. There was also the One Per Desk (OPD) made by ICL, (based on the Sinclair QL. but still using those lovely :eek: Microdrives :eek: ...

5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Locoscript anybody?

Cheers, Jeff

6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I vaguely remember something similar that used a 286 based central machine with 8086/8 based intelligent terminals.

7. Andrew Flannigan

There were quite a few multi terminal systems based on 8 bit processors. Pertec sold a system called the 2000 that could run up to 5 terminals on an 8085 under a system called MTX. Cromenco had the Z80 based System Three with similar capabilities and ran the Unix like Cromix. I built an IBM PC based system for a client in 1983 that supported 5 users under the British BOS system. There was a lot of office work those machines could do before GUIs became de rigueur.

8. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Yep.

I started to use when it came bundled with my Amstrad PCW8256 then had to buy LocoscriptPC so that I could use my PCW documents when I upgraded to a real computer - the Amstrad PC1640.

9. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

That's what my father used on his word processor when he was writing his book. After he died I took over the hardware and the software but didn't use them very much. Eventually the hardware was thrown out. However, I've just checked and ,yes, I've still got some of the floppies................

Lynn

10. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

A company I worked for last century, had a 3 station point of sale, plus a basic accounting package running on a 286 processor computer. The video for the POS was generated by splitting the EGA card output into 3 monochrome composite video signals, and the accounting station was an MGA monitor. We added 8 serial ports to the computer.

11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I have just bought a new "customised" computer, as none of them seem to be set up for photographers, they seem to be either set up for basic office use or for gamers. Photographers like fast, lots of memory and large hard disks, but perhaps only middling Graphic cards.... unless they are gamers on the side.
    It even has the SSD mounted directly on the mother board with M.2. so it runs the operating system and programs much faster than I have experienced before.

Has it made a difference.. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiir:)

12. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

With computers I don't upgrade I replace- I am fine with what I have as I mostly use it for Word, Internet, email and PSE. I don;t even like computer games so I don't need a fast graphics card etc and sound is handled by having an output lead that feeds into my Hi-Fi

Roger Hicks likes this.
  13. PhotoEcosse

14. Terrywoodenpic

I just totted up the price on the Palicomp site for the same spec in the same case and the price was almost identical at £2280 it looks like they keep a close eye on each other.
    However for every item shown, Palicomp had further upgrades in their listing to choose from. I suspect even going to the top spec would not satisfy some professional photographers who need even more memory , i9 processors, and multiple M.2 ssd drives. and raid storage and banks of high spec monitors.... and so on.
    but for the rest of us such brute force and warhouse storage is overkill.

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Not to mention well outside our budgets!

16. PhotoEcosse

Chillblast do offer even more advanced specs - but they are aimed at video editing, rather than the sort of thing that we do.

17. Terrywoodenpic

You could always borrow the weather forcasting super computer to be one up.

18. Andrew Flannigan

19. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Ami-Pro....ooooh, I liked that one.
    Quattro Pro for spreadsheets. There has never been an easier way to use numbers in such a way.

WordStar...used an early version on a command line Toshiba T200. They tried to re-launch in the late 90s but it was a bit buggy.

20. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Is there really that much difference in machine capabilities for image editing other than processing speed? I have a quad core CPU plus 8 core GPU AMD processor, running at 3.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 240Gb SSD and 2TB hard drive, (cost about £400 from Ebuyer) how much extra could a Chillblast do that mine could not - apart from speed of processing.