1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Probably True

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by PhotoEcosse, Aug 19, 2017.

1. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

A quote in the technology section of today's Yorkshire Post magazine rang a bell or two:

"You will always be disappointed when you buy a new computer. By the time that you have tweaked it to your liking, it will seem remarkably similar to your old one."

I wonder to what extent that applies to the purchase of camera upgrades. Maybe not so much because of tweaking but, rather, using the new model in precisely the same way as one used the old one and failing to take full advantage of all the "enhancements" that persuaded one to spend money upgrading.

steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Not really. Why would I be disappointed? I buy new computers only when the old ones break (and the new ones are usually a lot faster), and much the same goes for "upgrades" to cameras. I "upgraded" to full frame from the Leica M8 and Nikon D70, with an M9 and a Df. I might consider another M, with live view and add on EVF, because then I could use all my Nikon lenses as well as the Leica ones; but these are highly specialized requirements, and hardly pressing. I can't think of any "enhancements" (otherwise known as pointless bells and whistles) that would lead me to buy any more Leicas or Nikons unless I needed very high pixel counts.Or (if I could afford it) a second back-up body.

Cheers,

R.

3. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

It's a well-documented condition, called the 'Honeymoon' effect or phase ... Young people are more prone to 'Wanting' things, but as they get older, another condition called doubt or cynicism starts overriding this effect. In Rogers case, I'm guessing he is referring to items he buys because he 'Needs' them. I'm quite a bit like that these days, though it sounds like he is more disciplined than I am! I'll wait for a significant enhancement in something like camera gear, no doubt much to the annoyance of manufacturers!

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  4. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Hmm....how can I tweak my Canon 60D to work like a Zenit 3m?

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I always tweak a new computer to make it appear like the old one as far as I can. I detest the blasted changes they keep making. I was happy with OS/2, NT was barely tolerable and it's been downhill since.

Much the same with cameras. As far as I'm concerned a digital camera is a film camera with variable ISO.

I think disappointment is more likely for those that buy for buying's sake. If you replace something because you have to then it is not an issue.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I sometimes think the Graphic User Interface was a step in the wrong direction. :confused:

RogerMac likes this.
  7. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

I much prefer Apple OS and as they give you a free upgrade every year or so I don't really expect to sere much difference. I like the system and experience no disappointment with how it operates. However, what pisses me off about dear old Apple is their constant changing of ports and assorted physical connection options on the machines themselves. I have several Macs spanning several years of production and I doubt I could connect one to the other in any other way than to use wireless or resort to masses of dongles and adapters.

8. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I have said before I think consumer level camera technology is reaching a plateau.

You look at the basic level dSLRs etc out there they are quite powerful machines now.

Does anyone know if there are signs of upgrade rates slowing in the camera market?

I have certainly slowed down. Took 5 years to decide to upgrade.

So unless my current kit (touch wood it doesn't) stops working it could be another 5 years or even longer. LOL

As for computers, the machine I am using is well over 15 years old LOL

It uses a 1GHz Athlon from 1999 LOL So no even a 21st century machine :p LOL

It works, does the job, struggles sometimes but I know it so why not just keep using it. Had to put new PSU recently. :)

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Attach some lead to the bottom?

10. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Canon 60D with Tamron 17 - 50mm lens and strap, 1.4Kg. Zenit 3M with 50mm Helios lens and strap, 870g. Next!

Zou likes this.
  11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Me too. Backwards compatibility is always an issue. I dread having to buy a new computer, apart from the speed.

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I didn't read it but I saw a link the other day suggesting a new digital Zenit was in the offing. Not sure if it is modern, retro, or something else, as like I said, I didn't follow the link.

13. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

That's saved some trauma then:D.

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I read an article yesterday on why I should upgrade from Mac OS Sierra to High Sierra, apparently High Sierra doesn't support 32bit programs, it is billed as a step forwards. Probably it is, a step forward for the profits of the software companies who make the applications I will need to replace if I upgrade.

15. PhotoEcosse

When you start to mention software, you take the debate into a whole new ballgame.

Whereas I possibly (at a guess) use 30% of the capability of my PC and 30% of the capability of my cameras, I still get every CC upgrade for Photoshop despite only using, perhaps, 5% of its capability. And, although I use Microsoft Office 2013, my word-processing and spreadsheet needs are no greater today than were adequately met 30+ years ago by Locoscript and SuperCalc.

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Oh my! Supercalc. That takes me back. I don't need to write reports or even type letters these days, thank goodness. I think Word must be the world's worst document application.
    Go on! Remind me of more!

17. PhotoEcosse

Well, there was an inbetweeny stage when Lotus 1-2-3 and Ami-Pro held sway. Or dBase2.

Catriona likes this.
  18. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Whilst it's quite understandable why some people niggle about how their new camera operates differently to their new one, try imagining the differences Weegee must have experienced upon using a Zenit 3m on film sets such as 'Dr Strangelove' instead of his 5"x4" Speed Graphic.

Oh, brings back memories of using Pagemaker, Lotus 123 and Wordperfect 5.1.

Catriona likes this.
  19. PhotoEcosse

You may need to trade the Canon in for a Nikon D70 first. Fewer tweaks then required.

20. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I used Wordstar, I thought Word Perfect was the most user unfriendly software I've ever seen, although somethat used it ravedabout it, was it just a steeper learning curve than similar packages?

Catriona and steveandthedogs like this.