1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Printing images

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by RonClark, Apr 27, 2015.

1. RonClark

RonClark Well-Known Member

The new issue of AP has a column about long our images will last in digital form. The advice is to print them. OK, fine; but is it feasable for a lot of us? From our visit to Kingsbury Water Park last week, I had just nine keepers from the 100 that were on the card. Nine is a reasonable number to have printed. But so far this year I have 128 others in my Not Sorted folder that I would need to print too. And that doesn’t count all those that I have already sorted into their various genre folders.

Looking back I can’t imagine how many others there, probably thousands of them, that I have. Yes, I could print them all slowly but even if I tried to put four on each A4 sheet, the cost would still be very high, and being on a pension, itr's not really feasable for us. I also have around five thousand pub-related images too, pub signs, real ale clips and so on. And that’s not all is it?

What of storage? Living in a small one bedroom flat means that we don’t have a lot of storage space for my iamges. Then add in the images that Jan has too, as well as her video files. The idea of printing them all sounds good ‘on paper’ but in reality it is probably far too late and impractical for a lot photographers.

Regards

Ron

2. art

art Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it.

Think of all the things that were not recorded before photography was invented - or story telling, or drawing, or painting, or writing. Did it hold mankind back? I guess we'll never know ;)

Besides, if you do print photos, how long will they last before fading away? And even if they last 200 years, can you be sure that anyone will bother to look after them for all that time?

Only digital technology (so far) provides the possibility of practically unlimited longevity, but it relies on so many other things as well - and there are no guarantees.

As I said, don't worry about it.

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

You are quite right, Ron. In the old days, you could send to one of the photo printers for next to nothing and sometimes get a film and your photos back almost by return. I still have them too!
    I seldom print nowadays. Too expensive, inkwise and paper too - and mistakes etc etc. I just don't bother. If I need something printed well, I either take it to town or send off to have them printed.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Room in a small flat will always be an issue. A 100 sheet box of 6x4 paper is the size of a 500 page paper-back. I reckon one could get a fair few into a compact space. Finding one you wanted would need some indexing though. Could bring back the 5x3.5" print size too - get 200 in a 5x7 box!

5. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

For what it's worth (which may not be very much), I would rather keep a few hundred A3 prints than thousands of 6"x4"s.

At least that forces me to be selective about what I retain for posterity.

I can't imagine that anyone will be interested in 100 years in the 22,000 image files that currently sit on my computer hard drives. I would be delighted (but perhaps unrealistic) to think that a few of those I chose to print might interest someone.

Eric

6. art

art Well-Known Member

That also works for me. When I first got into digital photography (2000) I got all excited at the prospect of being able to print my own photos, at home, at my own convenience.

It was a short learning curve about the frustrations and expense of ink-jet printing, especially the larger sizes!

Fortunately, the advent of online print shops solved the problem for me and I rarely bother with small prints these days, preferring to be selective and 'go large' for something suitable for framing. Even posters are not stupid prices these days, and the saving on physical printers, ink and paper are substantial.

These days I only have a small mono laser printer for documents (fast and no costly 'nozzle cleaning' required due to infrequent use!) and can't see me ever going back to colour inkjets.

7. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Dont worry about printing your pictures just make sure they are saved on decent hard drives! I was a member of a photographic society for 50 yrs, now I dont belong to any! only the RPS, I used to print all my best pictures to A3-A4 having been converted to digital in the early days this practice carried on, I still have all those pictures stored away in protective print boxes, nowadays I dont print any unless somebody asks for one, I still have a good quality Epson printer which is quite expensive to run. Nowadays I just save all my best pictures and worked on pictures to one file but I never delete picture's unless they are unsharp or uninteresting, I keep them all, these are kept on 5 portable hard drives all these are named after my grandchildren so that they will all have a little something of me when I decide to pop my cloggs! Whether they want to keep the picture's or not is up to them! If not they can delete them and still have a nice hardrive to use themselves, but the problem is now what should I do with all those printed picture's that are stored? Well Nov 5th rings a bell, and I dread to think about it!

8. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

You still can. Online print services such as Photobox will do 6x4" prints for around 10p each, less if you do them in large batches. You can save the image files on their site and make larger prints of the best ones later, at a cost that compares very well with doing your own high quality inkjet. All this on proper photochemical paper!

And you don't have to worry about your original negs getting lost in the post!