1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Print Mounting Service?

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Fishboy, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation! That's one of the good things about this forum - there are things that some of us don't know, and when we ask the question there are people who have first-hand experience that they're willing to share with us..

Now that looks like something that I could make a fair attempt at! Now all I need to do is get back on speaking terms with my printer!

Cheers, Jeff

2. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I don't do that either. I use these.
    http://dscolourlabs.co.uk/browse

I'm just lazy :oops:

3. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I would also recommend DSCL for reasonable priced prints. I find home printing a nightmare.

Personally I prefer to display my prints without a border but on a suitable mount.

4. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

From the experience of cutting may mounts, using a verity of cutters,I would say it takes me up to an hour to cut a perfect mount.(gather in tools, laying out board, measuring.....etc) But,If I had a Pro grade cutter, I recon I could cut one in a few minutes. If I wanted a lot done, I would look at the cost of a Pro cutter Vs buying cut mounts from a picture framer, seems to be one in every town.
    Cutting one mount is a hobbyists pain, cutting 10 is a profession!!

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Matting and framing a single picture takes me about 10 minutes with the Olfa, a cutting mat, a long steel ruler (doubles as a straight edge), a soft pencil, and a scalpel (the last for cutting the board to size). I've mounted quite a few exhibitions this way: scores, probably hundreds, of pictures.

Cheers,

R.

6. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

What you say, Mick, is true for masking tape, which most clubs and exhibitions ban. However, other tapes such as parcel tape and good old Cellotape can be used safely and is accepted in all clubs and exhibitions that I have come across.

Returning to the OP, before I went totally DIY, I got my mounting boards cut by Cotswold Mounts. The prpoblem is that there is a minimum order for any size of aperture. Now I buy my uncut boards from them and use a Logan mat cutter to cut bevelled apertures. I would reckon about 4 minutes per mount. The advantage of cutting your own is that the proportions of each print are an important factor in the overall composisition and I want to be able to cut them to whatever size and proportions any particular print demands. On a 50x40cm board, that might mean an aperture of something completely irregular such as 34½x21¼cm.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  7. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I'm beginning to think a change of club or a change of competition secretary is the way to go. Helpful advice costs nothing.

Takes me 5 minutes to cut a mount.

plus

....... 15 minutes to get all my stuff ready
    ........20 minutes to measure 5 times plus once for luck
    .......10 minutes to tape print to mount
    ....... put kettle on
    ...... make coffee
    .......drink coffee and admire work
    .......10 minutes to clear equipment away

cliveva and Fishboy like this.
  8. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

You are probably right but (I'm sure you know) there will always be the smart Alec who invents his own definition of masking tape and tries to circumvent the rules. From the admin point of view it's much easier to ban all tape.

As an aside if you can give me a link to some wording that allows some tape but not other sorts I'd be grateful.It's not that I disbelieve you just that if it's good wording I might be tempted to use it sometime.

MickLL

PS For clarity I keep adding the word NOT before 'that I disbelieve" and it shows in the edited version but disappears when I log out.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
  9. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Mick,

"Masking Tape" is a very specific type of adhesive tape and the term is, I believe, widely understood.

Its virtue, in its intended use for masking, is that it is very easily removed and does not in any way damage the surface of the material to which it has been applied and subsequently removed. It is this ease of removal that causes problems when it is used for mounting prints as it can easily come loose and stick to other prints in a stack.

Here are a few references that mention it:

http://www.bordermonochrome.co.uk/rules.html

http://salemcountyfair.com/premiumbook/2016 HE Photo.pdf

http://www6.clikpic.com/occc/clik_media/Introduction_to_OCCC_Competitions_Aug_2014.pdf

http://www.hunterdoncountycameraclub.org/pages/njfcc_about_prints.php

http://www.thornburycameraclub.co.uk/uploads/2/0/8/3/20837378/mounting_prints_tips_and_tricks.pdf

Hope this clarifies.

10. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

Thanks for your time and trouble. By coincidence my own club is discussing the use of tape at the moment and some of the committee are getting hung up on the words to use.

Obviously we are aware of the properties of masking tape but, as I said before, we all know of the existence of folk who will cavil about words in order to achieve their own ends. It's very useful to see what others are doing.

Personally I'm in the 'ban all tape' camp - but that's because I've lost a number of prints to errant tape. It's not so terrible in the digital age but in the darkroom age when it was more difficult to precisely replicate a print it was extremely annoying.

Thanks again.

MickLL

11. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Each season our club places a bulk order for sheets of mountboard plus rolls of picture framers paper tape. Most use that.

12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Indeed that is what I assumed. That or some other form of archival tape. I find it hard to imagine that anyone would have so little respect for their own pictures that they would use anything else.

Also, I'd have thought that with standardized mounts, it's easy enough to pack the prints in pairs, face to face.

Cheers,

R.

PhotoEcosse likes this.
  13. Sphinx

Sphinx Well-Known Member

On the subject of mounts and cutting - I have recently joined a local camera club and am looking to enter the competitions. There was a great demonstration of mounting with the explaination of tape - framers tape only because other tapes risk damage. Even sellotape and packing tape can have a corner peel and curl. My problem is I do not have and cannot get in time a cutter to do bevelled edges with. Does anyone know how their club feels about the aperture being cut with 90 degree angle instead of 45? As far as I can see most clubs take their rules from a central photographic organization I cannot remember the name of right now.

14. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I can understand that standardisation makes life easier for the clubs.
    But at one time the norm was for prints to be dry mounted with shellac tissue but of any size and shape that suited the image.
    These days standardisation has gone too far and is encroaching on standardised images to.

Archival art prints are usually mounted with only the top edge tacked to the back mount with a length or archival fixing tape.
    This allows the print to expand with out warping under the aperture cut mount. Nothing is permanently glued.