1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Previous editors of AP

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Polyglot, Aug 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Polyglot

Polyglot Member

I am trying to find some details about previous editors of AP, to help me pinpoint a date around early 1965 - in particular exactly when Reg Mason took over editorship from ALM Sowerby. I can find nothing about the detailed history of the magazine either in its website, in the forum or in Wikipedia. Can anyone help?
    Many thanks, Alec.

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I think he may have been in charge all the way back to soon after WW2, maybe around 1950. I don't think I have any copies earlier than the 1960s now. The box is buried in the loft at present. If you are not in a hurry, I'll try to remember to have a look next time I'm up there in a few days time.

The other thing you could try is to find an eBayer flogging, say, a 1946 copy and ask them to look at the masthead. Then find one selling a 1951 copy .. etc., etc..

AP were trying to digitise their archive but I have a feeling that project may have - for reasons of their move - stalled.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

4. Polyglot

Polyglot Member

Thanks to you both. Maurice Fisher's website www.photomemorabilia.co.uk is an excellent historical source of most things photographic, but sadly it doesn't include a section on the photographic press as such, which would have been really useful. A.L.M.Sowerby was editor when I joined AP's editorial staff but I wasn't sure of the actual dates, having lost my treasured back numbers while moving around in three countries over the years. Sowerby was a wonderful raconteur and occasionally used to keep me in the office for a couple of extra hours after work while he ran through his fascinating reminiscences. I worked there with the Technical Editor Neville Maude, answering hundreds of technical enquiries each week.I am writing up my own memories of the photographic press of that time, covering 1960 to 1968, and I wanted to be sure of a few dates. I think I must have been at AP roughly between 1962 and 1964, but it would be good to have confirmation from just one copy within that period, if anyone can find one. Meanwhile I'll take a look at eBay!
    Alec Fry.

daft_biker likes this.
  5. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi Alec, one of your former customers here! Thinking some more on this, my brain has occasionally whirred like a fruit machine with four digits from 0-9 coming up now with 1955/1956 for A.L.M Sowerby handing over to Reggie Mason but that obviously cannot be correct from your post above if you worked with ALMS. However, was RHM already on staff as Asst.Ed. or Dep.Ed. when you were there? In which case 1968 may be more like it. My problem is I mix up MotorSport/Motoring News history with that of AP. Will try to scramble in the loft soon! Cheers, Oly

6. Polyglot

Polyglot Member

Thanks, Oly, but I think Andrew Flannigan (and his source Kevin MacDonnell) is right on the nail when he says 1963 for the changeover, and this ties up with my recollections.I had no luck tracking down a back number on Ebay between 1962 and 1964, it would be really appreciated.
    Alec Fry.

7. Polyglot

Polyglot Member

Since writing to express my regrets that www.photomemorabilia.co.uk did not include a section on the history of the photographic press, hey presto! - I see with great delight that there is now a superb, detailed article on the entire history of Amateur Photographer: http://www.photomemorabilia.co.uk/AP.html. This gives the actual dates when I was on the editorial staff - a little before 6th March 1963 to April 1964. Exactly what I needed to know! Could it really have been little more than a year? - so much happened in such a short time. Sadly I was tempted away with an offer to set up and edit a completely new magazine - and I cannot resist a challenge.The article also includes a lovely tribute to that amazing character, Victor Blackman of the Daily Express; it was thanks to his co-operation by offering the services of their dispatch rider that I was able to get a page of photos of a rather dramatic motor-racing crash filling a page in the following day's Daily Express.
    It is, however, really sad that I can find not a single tribute or biography anywhere else in the web on that wonderful Editor for 20 years, A.L.M.Sowerby, B.A, M.Sc, F.R.P.S. Nobody even seems to know what the initials of his name stand for. His contribution to AP was immeasurable, and he deserves a fitting tribute.
    Alec Fry

8. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

A quick search for A.L.M. Sowerby found this http://www.chem.ucl.ac.uk/resources/history/people/sowerby.html, quite an interesting read. The ALW stands for Arthur Lindsay McRae.

best wishes,
    Alan

9. Polyglot

Polyglot Member

Well done, Alan, you are obviously more skilled at using Google than I am! Another mystery - he wrote his qualifications as BA, MSc, FRPS. Why did he consider the Master's less important than a BA - or is there some reason why they are that way round, such as in alphabetical order? My son has a Master's from Cambridge and I know what prestige it carries - everything else follows on.
    Alec

10. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

I think he has it right, I've always assumed that degrees were listed in ascending order of academic status.

Alan.

11. Polyglot

Polyglot Member

I am sure you must be right, Alan, I had never thought about it before. You can tell I never went to Uni in my mis-spent youth...

12. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I was always under the impression that you just listed the highest academic award. Unless, possibly, they were in unrelated subjects.

Or your first degree was from Oxbridge and your PhD wasn't