1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Press / Photographers pass

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by novajova, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Is that the same as what the military refer to as "embedding"?

:D :D :D

2. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

Is his the kind of press card one tucks into the hatband of one's trilby? :D

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

4. JRSPhotography

JRSPhotography New Member

Ok, thanks

5. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Probably ...
    133x v 90x ;)

NUJ used to do the 'official' card but as VB would point out, whether you were a London based pro (who maybe knew & photographed senior officers), some other pro with the official card or a pro freelance with or without a card, when a police officer (Constable!) told you to stay behind a tape or that there would be "no access until forensics have been & done their stuff", you all had & have to take notice of what the officer says and 'stay on the right side of the pavement'.

Bit hard to get any pics at all sat in the back of a police car or van.

At the risk of generalising about pro photographers :p ;) who all have to get the picture, the thing that sets the pro from the less than pro, the pro who is going places from the 'time server' or easily deterred, is that you find ways to make or get a picture. That said, a lot of the stuff is mundane and could be taken by anyone. On top of that, you may come up with something a bit different, a slightly fresher angle and find the PicEd decides to go with 'mundane'. :rolleyes:

6. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

Yes, the NUJ used to issue the only press card, many years ago. However, it was easily forged, and there were growing concerns over security, particularly with the IRA bombing campaign at the time, so the Met. Police took over the issuing of new style press cards, only available to journalists/photographers working for the National Press, TV and Radio.

The original post was regarding access to photograph at concerts. This will involve contacting the promoter's office for a pass. A press card won't. on its own, get you in. If the concert involves major performers, then only a limited number of professionals will be allowed passes, and then generally only for the first three numbers performed. Better for the non-pro to work up experience with lesser known artists playing local venues, even pubs. You might even get a pic in the local newspaper.

7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Yep!

Some of the old lags on here couldn't resist re-iterating some of the realities of working (photographer) life. :eek: It's a fair cop, Guv. I'll come quietly, officer. Go easy on me, just trying to do me job ... I got a wife an' six kids and FIFA to support!

:D

8. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

How about this "reality" which happened to me when using one of the first generation digital SLR's while on assignment......It was pouring with rain on a news job, and my (then) top of the range digi packed up in the wet.......I took the camera back to the importers with a complaint, only to be met with the following response...

"Well sir, when it rains, you're supposed to put your camera away in its case." ......

Me:.....er. yes...I'll tell that to my editor!

9. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I knew there was a reason why I avoided doorstepping as if it were the plague!

:D

10. Elijah James

Elijah James New Member

Hi. I came across this fascinating thread since being involved with a photographer who works out of Copenhagen in Denmark and it just so happens that our most-recent advice column looks at this issue. I'll admit it, I found this thread from a Google search with the words press pass for photographers and forums in the discussion. I sincerely think our advice column is worth a bump to benefit both new readers and those who have already contributed to this thread. If you're interested to know how a professional photographer has approached the issue of gaining press credentials then feel free to head over to the in-depth advice column blog post that we've written up for the benefit of all photographers here: https://goo.gl/IDDClH

Thanks!

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

It's more than 2 years old!

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Worse than that - it started in 2006! :eek:

13. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

The new post could be a subtle form of spam.

Andrew Flannigan and Catriona like this.
  14. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Could be many things, but what the last three posts aren't is welcoming.