1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Press / Photographers pass

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by novajova, Oct 10, 2006.

1. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

Very special, with a press pass, so nerrr! ;)

2. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Out of interest, was this the case in 2006 too, or were there a different set of rules back then?

I know when I joined Demotix their press card could be obtained by almost anyone. A while later it was altered to be anyone who had had published success with them, which was fair enough. Haven't looked on the site for a few years now, not sure what their current rules are.

3. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

You have to have 20 news stories publish now to obtain a press pass.

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I've just been looking at who's online and what is being viewed. There are threads being viewed from many years ago by guests, one in particular is 13 years old.

5. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

.....so beware. Your digital footprint is impressed deep in the sands of time!

:)

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

TBH, looking back at some old photographs and how I looked, I am more embarrassed about my analogue past than my digital one!

7. PhotoEcosse

Love it.

:)

8. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Nobody needs one.

I was a working press person from roughly 1968 to 1990, with several gaps for other jobs. I probably averaged twenty publications a week when doing freelance photography but also wrote, designed and sold advertising (won a national award for one advert), did page layout, ran circulation and even did six months as an Editor.

However, I was never a union member, never had an "official" press pass, never needed either; and this was at the height of unionisation.

You get passes to events by working for publications from which the organisers want publicity. If you've done all the "boring" jumble sales and local events, so proving your reliability, the editors will give you their passes, provided none of the permies want them.

Now, in those days, I'd have earned a few shillings by writing up the story of the local chap who resurrected an eight year old thread and got a picture of him holding up his computer and pointing at the screen. Even better if it was a girl with long legs and a short skirt.

Corn always sells!

:D

9. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Years ago, I had an NUJ ticket.

Frankly it wasn't a lot of use, except when it came to asking organizers for passes for specific events. There is NO press pass in the world that you can just wave and get in to everything, every time.

A Demotix press pass is probably even more useless.

Cheers,

R.

10. PhotoEcosse

I suspect they all are, Roger.

The problem is not obtaining a Press Pass (hell, you could print your own and the gorillas on the gate wouldn't know the difference). It is getting into the event.

A smooth talker with a £10 note will always score over the guy or guyess with a ream of passes.

Eric

11. Roger Hicks

Dear Eric,

The NUJ is not entirely unknown. Unlike Demotix.

Cheers,

R.

12. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

If it's totally unknown how do you know how to spell it? :p

13. Roger Hicks

Copy-and-paste to Google from someone who mentioned it. On checking, it seems to have been you. I'd never heard of it before (or since).

Cheers,

R.

14. PhotoEcosse

But, to be fair, the NUJ does not have a lot of clout nowadays either. The Australian guy and his Hungarian (?) oppo saw to that.

Eric

PS - I have never heard of Demontix either - and, unlike you, don't have the dedication to Google for it.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  15. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Sorry, it was a reappropriated quote from someone a lot more witty than I originally uttered in a discussion about atheism basically meaning "even if you don't believe in it, it has still had enough effect for you to know of it". Couldn't resist, may not be as well known as I originally intended - and obviously if you had to go and Lycos it, not a terribly good point either :)

Please note, I mentioned "Press Card", not press pass. I would expect a press pass to be issued by an event to allow entry to the allotted member of the press under the express understanding they are there to work, not a press card giving one affiliation with a group like Demotix, NUJ or Getty (if they still do them).

16. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Really?

I must remember to tell that to any newspaper/magazine client that they cannot possibly arrange to issue me with a Press Pass for that event they want me to cover for which they will pay me money (which I will use to pay the tax & the mortgage & buy food) for the pictures which get published and show the organisers' event to the reading public who were not able to attend who buy the magazine that employs the Editor who was willing arrange the Press Pass for me with the agreement of the organisers who in the event of continuing success need more people to turn up to the event they will hold next year. :) Or maybe not ...

... tell them, that is.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  17. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

You have to be a full time pro working for either a national newspaper or news agency to get an official press card. This will involve you being security checked before issue, since it gives you access to places like Downing St. You can apply through the NUJ or the CIoJ, but you still have to be a bona-fide working journalist or photographer. It is the only press card recognised by the authorities.

However, this is not the same as a pass to cover an individual event like a concert . It's unlikely you'd get one unless you're a full time pro., and known to the organisers. Such passes are in high demand and issue is limited. This is understandable because the organiser wants a fair guarantee that some publicity will come via the photographers at the event. They will be equipped to wire back pictures to their publication within minutes of taking them, so they get into the first editions of their respective newspapers.

18. JRSPhotography

JRSPhotography New Member

NOT true

You have to prove you earn a living from your work and supply proof of what you have worked on, I shoot sports, and can be seen in Classic Cars magazine and speed scene, etc,

I don't work for an agency or a newspaper.

19. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi Filmlover, Oh yeah? Since when? Cheers, Oly

20. filmlover

filmlover Well-Known Member

The press card I'm referring to is the one previously issued through the Metropolitan Police to full time press photographers only working for national newspapers & agencies. Since I retired I gather the issue of such cards is now handled by a different organisation, but still with the same security checks.

I suspect we are talking about different cards.