1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

presentation evening

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by neilhapgood, Oct 16, 2017.

1. neilhapgood

neilhapgood New Member

Hi all, hoping you can help!

I run a presentation evening each year for my job and normally pay a photographer to take photos of the groups as they receive their certificates, however due to cuts I am keen to avoid doing this and take them myself. It will be groups of approx 30 pupils, they are standing on tiered staging on a stage that is well lit from above by the normal stage lights with a black back drop.

How difficult is it to do this, I have a NIKON - D3300 DSLR Camera with 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 Zoom Lens and a
    Neewer TT560 Speedlite flash.

Can i just point and shoot with that set up and get reasonable photos?!

many thanks

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The easiest way to decide is to press gang five or more victims. Get two to stand at the extreme left and right of where the students will be. Two more to stand at the back and front of the line and the last one to represent the middle. Take some sample pictures and examine the shots to see if they work. Depending on the patience of your "volunteers" try using direct flash and bounce flash to see which looks better.

Roger Hicks likes this.