1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Premiere Elements 13 learning curve

Discussion in 'Digital Image Editing & Printing' started by Rupert49, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

I've started playing around with some very basic video editing .. trimming the ends and some bits in the middle, etc. and so far all seems to be going OK.

I'm using the Quick mode at the moment, but I'm slightly lost as to how best to save my edited product. It's easy enough to name the file and select a destination, but there's also a bewildering choice of formats to choose from. The drop down menu looks like this:

NTSC DVD Standard (default setting)
    NTSC DVD Widescreen
    PAL DVD Standard
    PAL DVD Widescreen
    HD 720p 25
    HD 720p 30
    MPEG2 1440x 1080i 25
    MPEG2 1440x 1080i 30
    MPEG2 1920x 1080i 25
    MPEG2 1920x 1080i 30
    HDTV 1080i 25 High Quality
    HDTV 1080p 24 High Quality
    HDTV 1080p 25 High Quality
    HDTV 1080p 29.97 High Quality
    HDTV 720p 24 High Quality
    HDTV 720p 25 High Quality
    HDTV 720p 29.97 High Quality
    TiVo® Series2™ (NTSC)

I haven't a clue which one to use. Videos from my Canon 5D MkIII are 1920x1080, so I guess I need to select the format choice (above) that matches the video record settings in camera. However, when it comes to editing a downloaded video clip from an outside source (e.g. YouTube), what then would be the governing factor when it comes to selecting the most appropriate format to save?

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Anything with NTSC is American so if you're in Britain you can ignore them. Anything with DVD is for writing to a recordable DVD for playback on a domestic player. MPEG 2 is described here and the HDTV files here. I'm not a video expert so this is simply your starter for 10.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Welcome to hell.

There's about 4 things you need to know.

Containers
    Codecs
    Resolution
    Framerate

Some are interlinked, some are independent.

You should always work in the highest resolution you can, based usually on the source, but if you have multiple sources you may need to work in the lowest common resolution (e.g. if you're making a video by combining YouTube plus your DSLR, then whatever resolution the YouTube video is in probably determines your choice).

But what you work in and what you export as, don't have to match. You can always export to a lower resolution (if you want).

There are some standard resolutions,

DVD (720 x 576 PAL or 720 x 480 NTSC)
    HD (720 x 1280)
    FullHD or HDTV (1080 x 1920)

etc.

See https://www.lifewire.com/720p-vs-1080p-a-comparison-1847332

In your list, the MPEG2 is not a resolution description unlike the others, but is a codec. The algorithm used to encode the actual video. It's annoying that software mixes those terms up when it presents them. Some formats (such as DVD) are tied to specific codecs (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video) so if you want to burn an actual DVD that will play in a DVD player, you have to export it using that codec (and some other stuff, including the correct container). But, DVD can also be used to describe a frame rate and resolution.

In your list, the p stands for progressive and the i stands for interlaced. Interlaced is like the old TV days where each frame only encodes half the image, and the next frame encodes the other half. Avoid interlaced unless you know you need it, using progressive.

The 24, 25 and 29.97 in your list are frame rates. Movies are usually 24 fps, PAL TV is 25 fps, NTSC video is 29.96 fps. You should usually stick to 25fps, but work with whatever frame rate your imported media is in.

Spend some time reading up on codecs and containers, and good luck.

4. Rupert49

Rupert49 Well-Known Member

Thank you Both for your replies .. I've got some reading (and understanding) to do; I'll work through it and, by trial and error, I'm sure I'll arrive where I want to be!

Thanks again.

5. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Why is video editing so complex Tony? Too many formats? It is probably even more frustrating than printing.