1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pre- and post-Christmas/New Year food

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Roger Hicks, Dec 11, 2018.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

It has never been on the menu here, although in the past only because I didn't like it. My customers who buy farmed salmon usually tell me they don't like the wild stuff but sometimes they also mention price... The price seems to be as well engineered as the colour and taste!

Ps. There was a documentary about Norwegian farmed salmon being the most toxic food in the world on YouTube.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Not had a 100% authentic one, but love them. At a basic level a salty croissant but so so so so so much better.

Catriona likes this.
  3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm glad you do!! :)

4. Catriona

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

LesleySM and Catriona like this.
  6. Catriona

Haha! This would be good at breakfast for you. Enjoy yourself!

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Would have been great, but no chance of me staggering along to Scotmid on the off chance of them having any in. Scrambled eggs on toast got me feeling human again.

Catriona likes this.
  8. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I was the same this morning

Roger Hicks likes this.
  9. Catriona

Haha! I had that tonight! :)

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

And the farmed salmon don't have the benefit of all the omega 3 fish oils that they should have since they are not fed enough krill.
    In spite of all that I do eat some lightly smoked farmed salmon (the sort meant to be cooked) but admit that it is not environmentally friendly or healthy. It tastes good.

11. Learning

I am very pleased that you can afford to be in such a state considering all we have heard on your blog thread. Keep up the good work.

12. Catriona

?? Which sort of smoked salmon is meant to be cooked?

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Lightly smoked fillets.

14. Catriona

Ah! Those doctored offerings. I must admit I like my fish just fresh - then I can add my own tastes if I want to. I think I had a lightly smoked one once and didn't like it much.
    I like the sort used as it comes but getting decent sliced smoked salmon these days is nigh on impossible for me! I'll have to go back to getting a licence and fly fishing the Creed!

15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Cold smoked.

16. Learning

Good question Catriona. It is farmed and the smoking is very slight. If there was AC for smoked salmon then this would not be AC. Strangely it tastes very good with a concoction of chillis, ginger and onions accompanied by cheap rough tooth fizzingly accidic Sauvignon Blanc. I realise that this post is in very bad taste, however if one is in an appropriate mood the menu is more than acceptable.
    I would not treat real smoked salmon in this way but hey ho, I can't get real Scottish wild salmon, smoked or otherwise. Netting is now banned; selling wild salmon which has been caught by rod is banned. The natural fishery is in crisis. No surprise there. Other Scottish fish caught on rivers and lochs are also in crisis.

About twenty years ago a group of about ten of us were staying in a rented cottage on the banks of Loch Maree and one of our number had a birthday up there so we booked for dinner at a rather formerly posh hotel which in the past was famous as a base for fishing. Queen Victoria apparently had even stayed the odd night. (or so went the blurb). We ate late after coach parties had almost finished their meal.
    We were lead to a large circular table in a bay window overlooking the loch, the kitchen still had the cook and staff and stock to produce a super meal. The serving staff had all the skill and etiquette that would have been expected. I felt slightly out of place.
    What had gone wrong? A wonderful hotel, with the remains of a wonderful staff, taking coach parties to make ends meet, and treating us, a bunch of lower middle class hill walkers as if we were royalty. What had gone wrong even then was a collapse of sea trout and salmon fishing almost certainly due to prescence of salmon farms. We enjoyed our meal but in retrospect felt sad at how that local economy had almost been destroyed.
    I have just found the place on the internet and it looks as if they are doing a bit better again. Clearly not an hotel where famiies with children are welcome but that is their choice; at least they can be choosy enough to make that clear.

17. Lindsay Pennell

Lindsay Pennell Well-Known Member

We are not into traditional Xmas stuff any more, since my old Mum died - she made the whole thing for us but with no kids of our own and not being close to our respective sisters, we are on our own. We've moved around too much to be able to get together with friends - never been able to make long-term ones.
    So, our Christmas eating will be spread over the next few weeks, and will contain:
    1. Roast gammon with honey glaze, served with cauliflower cheese and sweet potato wedges (sorry Roger H)
    2. Roast chicken with roast potatoes, swede, runner beans, carrots, plus an experiment with roast sprouts and cashews
    3. A fishy experiment: "wild"-ish salmon with smoked haddock wrapped in Basa fillets (or sea bream) wrapped in some sort of big leaves and roasted, served with a jus of some light sort, and French beans with mustard seeds and lemon juice, roast parsnips and something else I haven't decided on yet.

Entertainment wise, no TV; a few recorded programmes and DVD's, quite a lot of ham radio, and some nice camera and dog walks.

18. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

Thinking about what I have said in previous posts, bearing in mind I am normally somewhere else on Christmas day, this Christmas we will be at home we will be entertaining and feeding all of our family, it will be a tiring day so what ever finishes up on my plate I shall eat and enjoy......then its the washing up, I could use the dish washer but the exercise will do me some good and I cant wait to try my new rubber gloves out that my wife has bought me......

19. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

You might want to check out how Panga is farmed. I believe it goes something along the lines of make a pond with polluted water, cram as many fish in as possible, feed them toxic food, add oodles of antibiotics into the ecosystem, pay someone very little them to fillet them sitting on the floor and then they add more chemicals so they can be preserved in a frozen state for the rest of time. Yummy?

Roger Hicks likes this.
  20. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I used to be a fan of the Vietnamese river cobbler, which I think is the same as the Basa fish. They were very cheap. I then read about the farming of them, so we never bought them again.

daft_biker and Roger Hicks like this.