1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Praktica MTL 5B

Discussion in 'Other Brands & Accessories' started by nastypiranha, Jun 9, 2014.

1. nastypiranha

nastypiranha Well-Known Member

Been playing along quite happy with my Canon SX40 and lately I've been looking into film processing and thought might give that a try but put the idea to one side. So logged into my Facebook and what do I see for sale in one of the local groups a Praktica MTL 5B and first thought would be it would make a nice display piece. So looked it over and the battery had started to leak, so caught that in time. everything else seems to function as it should so thinking about wee clean, buying a flash, then a few rolls of film.

So wasn't sure on what price as the camera was "Offer's" so ended up paying £15 for the collection. it does have it's hard case thats not pictured.
    [​IMG]

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Looks like you got a good deal, assuming everything is working.

You can download a PDF manual from Mike Butkus here - if you find it useful, you might want to send a small donation.

And as you've possibly already seen in the Film section, you can sometimes get Agfa Vista 200 colour print film from Poundland for a quid a 24 exp roll - very occasionaly you might find some 36 shot rolls mixed in. You can get colour dev & print from most larger branches of Boots for £4.99 for 24 shots, or £5.99 for 36.

I've never used a Practica myself, but several people I know, both on the forums and in RL, seem quite fond of them.

Welcome to the fun world of film photography!

3. nastypiranha

Thank you Alex,

I'll get around to checking out that link. I took your advice and had a look at the local poundland and bought 10 roll's of the Agfa Vista 200 :) So i'll need to check out my local boots and see if they still develop film. Camera seems to be working fine except from lack of flash but i'll get one ordered for it and then maybe start looking at what I need to develop the films myself.

4. nastypiranha

Just a quick question to any other MTL 5 B owners do you have the +, 0 and - on the right side of the view finder? all i have on the right side is just a little stick that moves up and down.

5. sillyconguru

sillyconguru Well-Known Member

I think that only the older variants (MTL3, etc) had the "+0-" in the viewfinder; the "0" in the MTL5B is the V-shaped cut-out, anything above this is "+" and below is "-".

6. nastypiranha

Thank you Sillyconguru :)

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

If I remember I'll check my Praktica guide book (currently failing dismally to sell on ebay...).

Adrian

8. jeff1945

jeff1945 In the Stop Bath

My first SLR. You always remember the first.
    With the 50mm pentacon lens produced some decent images. In fact I probably have done no better with later more expensive cameras.
    ProbLem is the manufacture quality was variable and bits became loose or dropped off from time to time.
    If I returned to film photography ( and I am tempted ) I would go for a better quality Japanese model.

9. gray1720

Sorry, book doesn't go as far as the MTL5.

Adrian

10. nastypiranha

Hello Jeff, I'm glad I picked a film camera for my first SLR, I feel its adds so much more to the photo as in what my eye see's and what this camera see's is two different things and the sense of wonder what did I capture :) But its all about learning and it is building a higher level of interest in film development for myself. So I think once i get a bit more used to the SLR, l'll add another one to the collection with more lens available as this is something I need to suss out.

Thank you very much for taking the time to look Adrian :)

11. gray1720

Isn't the MTL 5b M42 screwmount? (ie the lens is on a 42mm thread). If so, there's a huuuuuuuuuuuuuge number of lenses, from brilliant to total sh*te, available.

I think enough of us here still develop film that you'll get help if you need it - if not, we can point you to the right places!

Enjoy the camera.

Adrian

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  12. jeff1945

jeff1945 In the Stop Bath

It is indeedM42.
    There are some very good Pentax, among other, M42 lenses but the questioner should be beware the obscure 3rd party lenses.
    Jeff

13. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

As far as I can make out from various websites dealing with the history of Prakticas etc. the +0- would seem to be actually the standard version. However, I've got 3 x super TL1000s, two of which have +0- whilst the third has the needle and notch. All the various info lists only give the +0- version- the needle and notch is never mentioned, except as an inference that +0- was 'introduced' during the run of this or that camers series. I have a suspicion that there were perhaps occasional supply difficulties which resulted in the needle and notch meter being used to maintain production levels. Another possibility could be that the needle and notch was used in various export models for some reason.

http://ww.dresdner-kameras.de

may be of interest. Praktica- L-Reihe/system is where to go. There is also a Wikipedia/Camera-wiki site which could be helpful.

Apparently the MTL 5b needs an LR44/SR44 battery, or equivalent.

14. nastypiranha

Thank you for all your replys, and i apologise for the delay in replying.

Thank you Adrian, it is indeed a m42 mount as has been pointed out and as you said there is a huge amount of lens on auction sites for not a lot of money. I'm sure i will need a bit of advice with developing.

Thank you Jeff, I'll pop into the lens section and have a read and see if i can pickup the general feel on len. I only just found out what my kenko aps x2 teleplus does.

Ah thank you very much for that very helpful insight Trannifan, I have expanded on my wee collection and have added a Super TL1000 and that has the +0-, felt bad for the seller as i put a bid in at the start for the 99p and no-one else bidded.

15. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member