1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Station

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Craig20264, May 10, 2018.

1. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Apparently, this power station provides electricity for over 90,000 homes, by using poultry poo!
    I rather like it due to its composition, the question is, what to you think? It's definitely one for a sunrise and misty water I think. I'm hoping it will slot nicely into a set of 'Where Industry Meets Nature' shots.

xzzLR.jpg

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I like that, cannot think of any suggestions for improvement.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

For what you describe it is bang on. But there is something grotesque about shooting it that way. :)

4. Craig20264

I'll take that as a compliment. If I can provoke a feeling with an image, then I'm halfway there.....I think. :)

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. RovingMike

Well it is a bit odd to me. Incongruous really. Like surrounding me with delicate blooms to make me look young and pretty.:(

6. Craig20264

I have a few more locations in mind. I'll take a few more and see if has legs as a set. I guess I like the idea because of the fact they are totally at odds with each other.

EightBitTony likes this.
  7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Kind of works best in the summer as well, because it looks less incongruous in the winter.

8. RovingMike

Good idea. Not original, but a good set might let you own the idea.

Craig20264 likes this.
  9. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

There are some nice shots along these lines around Sizewell - I've got a couple of the tank traps on the beach and of the power station itself. You could call in for a pint at The Vulcan or have a walk along the coast path as far as Minsmere New Cut and then head inland past the original Leiston Abbey to sample the Adnams at the Eel's Foot in East Bridge.

I really envy you for living in that part of the country!

Cheers, Jeff

10. Craig20264

Yes, I tried a mono conversion but it dumped it straight into the 'Industrial Camp', without the beauty around it.

Sizewell was one of the locations I had in mind, but not sure if there is much beauty around there to offset it. I will have a recce over the weekend to see if I can come up with a composition. If I can get it in from Dunwich Heath with the heather in bloom it could work. Might need a long lens though.

As for Adnams, I'm afraid I'm not a fan. :( I prefer Greene King.

11. RovingMike

Used to get a nice draught Adnams at Woodbridge GC whenever I played there.

12. Craig20264

Ahh, lovely course. Very tough. Mind you, they're all tough if you're not hitting it straight! Was on the first tee at Stowmarket Golf Club this morning at 6.00am. Lovely misty morning. Should have taken the camera instead of the golf clubs! :(

13. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Green King? Fair enough - it's The Vulcan for you then!

There are views of Sizewell from all over the place - I remember walking through some woods just off the road from East Bridge that eventually joins Lover's Lane in Leiston and seeing the dome framed by the trees. I stood looking at the view and then realised that there were some people in the wood with me. Just down the slope in front of me were two blokes in full hazmat suits taking samples of the water from a pond! I made it a point of walking past them, nodding and saying "'morning" without acknowledging the way they were dressed in any way.

Cheers, Jeff

14. RovingMike

I was going to say that. Woodbridge is a doddle if you're hitting it straight. Nightmare (like most gorse & heather) if you're not.

The New Zealand Club in Surrey is another hit it straight, or go home course.

Craig20264 likes this.
  15. Nikonchris

Nikonchris Well-Known Member

Craig...is that a Fibrowatt plant? Is it the Thetford plant?

16. Nikonchris

Nikonchris Well-Known Member

Thornbury's not too bad either but my favs up that neck go the wood is Brancaster and Hunstantion......superb tracks and sooo much fun particularly Brancaster....

17. Craig20264

Indeed it is the Thetford plant.

18. RovingMike

It is a nice shot.

BTW have you got the critique from RPS yet?

19. Craig20264

Nothing yet Mike. E mailed Simon Vercoe (Distinctions Assistant) yesterday but nothing back save an Automated response saying he's on holiday until 20th May. Could have done with a quicker response as was hoping to re-submit in June. Sadly the June dates are fully booked. July is next and if I miss those two dates it will be September. It's dragging on a bit to be honest from a panel that was initially due to be assessed on March 2nd.

Catriona likes this.
  20. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Changes going on at RPS at the moment, but I guess you are up to speed on them? I don't know when they are moving to Bristol though.