1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power bank to charge up DSLR battery charger?

Discussion in 'Other Brands & Accessories' started by Mortsy88, Nov 21, 2016.

1. Mortsy88

Mortsy88 Member

Evening everyone,

Was just curious to know if it is possible to buy a power bank to use for a DSLR battery charger to charge up the cameras batteries?

Or if it is possible to buy one for a phone (as my camera battery charger has no usb port) and find a means to connect it to the camera battery charger?

Or is it simply less expensive/easier to buy more batteries?

Many thanks,

Samuel

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Which brand of DSLR / battery type are you trying to charge - they all vary.

3. Andytw

Andytw Well-Known Member

If the camera allows in camera charging (via USB) then you can connect a suitable power bank to the camera and charge the battery this way.
    If you want to charge the battery outside of the camera then it depends on how the charger you are using connects to the mains.
    If the charger has a USB connection then it should work with a suitable power bank.
    As far as I know if the charger connects with a mains cable such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mains-Batt...38&sr=1-5&keywords=battery+charger+for+camera then a power bank cannot be used.
    If the charger uses a separate external power supply which connects via a circular plug (similar to many laptop power supplies) then it may be possible as I have a power bank which will charge different laptops at various voltages, but as Tony said it depends on the DSLR/battery (and charger) type.

4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I am probably out of date but buying spare batteries used to be the way to go. You need to carry at least one spare if you need to change quickly. Decent 3rd party versions are usually available. I cannot remember the past time I had to change a battery while out shooting, but perhaps I take a lot less than others.

5. Andytw

Andytw Well-Known Member

I'd agree that having (charged) spare batteries should be the first port of call but if you are likely to be away from mains electricity for some time then having another way to recharge all the batteries could be needed.

6. Mortsy88

Mortsy88 Member

Panasonic Lumix G7

7. Mortsy88

Mortsy88 Member

Thanks for your replies everyone :)

Yup I figured spare batteries it will be. Question: how do you insulate your batteries when filming outdoors in the cold? Cold + filming in 4K drains them soo fast!

8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You can charge those via USB ports, so you could buy any power bank for charging phones and use it to charge the batteries.

The camera uses DMW-BLC12 batteries. This charger charges those batteries - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lemix-Charger-Panasonic-DMW-BLC12-PANASONIC/dp/B014L5W9BC

The charger specifically states it can be run from a power bank - if you get a big enough power bank you could charge batteries on the go.

For example - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-PowerCore-13000-Portable-Charger/dp/B00Z9UY65G

That says it'll charge an iPhone 6s 3.5 times (iPhone 6s battery is 1810mAh), the battery in your camera is 1200mAh so you should be able to get about 4 of them out of that power bank.

(Also, I hate to be super picky, but the G7's not a DSLR, it's a CSC or mirrorless).

9. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

also, it's an EVIL camera - Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens. :cool:

EightBitTony likes this.
  10. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Wear layers and keep the batteries in an inside layer so they are at body temperature. Make sure terminals cannot short if they don't have proper covers. Don't leave them in the camera when it is not being used.