1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post your fungus shots

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by EightBitTony, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Charlotte Moon

Charlotte Moon Well-Known Member

On the Broads shroom.jpg

steveandthedogs likes this.
  2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

These two shots are from Whinfell, Center Parcs, the week I fell over and broke my foot and shoulder.

Which I'm afraid to say is almost a year ago now!

The second shot is stupidly blurry because I was too lazy to do it properly.

20160821-7DM2-8769_x1200_hq.jpg

20160821-7DM2-29-2_x1200_hq.jpg

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I think it's because you were nibbling it.

S

EightBitTony likes this.
  4. steveandthedogs

I think it's a "candlesnuff" fungus. Quite small, about a cm or so, grows on rotting twigs.

S

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I think if you nibbled that thing, your whole world would go blurry, never mind the photo
    download.jpg

EightBitTony and steveandthedogs like this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Fungus and egg on toast. Smashing!

Panasonic GM5_red 8GB 02 P1220726.JPG

EightBitTony likes this.
  7. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

1off017036.jpg

1off017040.jpg

Family pack (20cm. diameter)

1off017046.jpg

Don't ask me what they all are!

Lynn

EightBitTony likes this.
  8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

When I was a child, one of the houses we lived in (okay, actually several of the houses we lived in) backed onto fields. The particular field I'm thinking of however, was a rich source of ... field mushrooms. Very similar to the kind that you can buy in the supermarket now, only we had to get up early and go foraging for them. I can remember making a stove of sorts out of an empty tin of Lyle's Golden Syrup - holes punched in the side for ventilation, candle in the bottom, lid used as a cooking surface. Melt some butter in the lid and slowly and inefficiently fry sliced up field mushrooms in the melted butter. Agonisingly dozy but so delicious!

I was reminded of this relatively frequent activity on a walk a while back when we came across some funny looking mushroom/toadstools and one of my children asked if we could eat them. I had no idea because I didn't recognise them. So I went to get a book on recognising mushrooms from the library. And realised that I have a problem. I would look at the images in the book and then the next week find myeslf looking at whatever bit of fungus was in front of me and simply could not seem to match them up with anything in my memory. I mean, who lugs a book round with them all the time on the off chance they'll find a shroom? My default answer then is now 'No. You can't eat them', but I wonder what delights I'm missing out on simply because I can't remember from one day to the next what a mushroom looks like?

9. EightBitTony

Smart phone.

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Smart alec! When I said 'a while back', I really did mean a while back. I think my smartphone looked like this:

smartphone.jpg

But even if I were to use my phone now, I think I'd struggle to accurately determine if what was in the picture looked exactly like what I was looking at. Perhaps I need to go out with an expert.

11. EightBitTony

We had those bricks too, they wouldn't let my wife get one in her name (no credit history) and they were terrified of giving me two in my name, they just couldn't work out why I wanted to pay for two phones.

In a few years, augmented reality via phone will solve your problem, you'll just point the phone camera the mushroom and it'll be automatically labelled with what it is. Or more likely, your headset / eyepiece / glasses / retina-cam will do it for you.

Geren likes this.
  12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Part of me really likes that idea. Part of me worries that our ability to learn and retain information will go down the pan completely. I'm already aware of a reduced tolerance for sitting reading things. I want my information fast and punchy and I'm so used to scrolling past adverts and having random links pop up that I worry I am losing the abililty to concentrate on ANYTHING!

13. EightBitTony

Yeh, it'll be interesting. Gone are the days of long conversations in the lounge about whether something really happened in 1971 or 1968, now it takes 30 seconds on Wikipedia and the conversation moves on to something else.

The world is changing.

Halting State and Rule 34 by Charles Stross aren't superb books, but they're a great insight in to augmented reality and what happens when smart phones become super computers. They're hard going, high in jargon, but his insight into how augmented reality will change our daily lives is great.

14. steveandthedogs

Geren, I was going to post something similar.

I quite like not being able to know everything at the press of a button. Having to put some effort into something seems to make it more worthwhile and gives a [minor] sense of achievement.

Augmented reality in the form of being able to look up something instantly probably means knowledge will become as throw-away as an empty packet.

S

15. EightBitTony

Also, while I'm good at remembering a face (I know if I've met someone before) I'm terrible at remembering names (even though I try and use the relevant techniques), so I'll finally be happy to be able to look at someone and have a little label pop up over their head to tell me their name.

And age.

And last facebook post.

And current job.

And last Instagram picture.

And their friends.

And religious associations.

And political leanings.

16. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with just knowing the name. :(

17. EightBitTony

Indeed, I'm just not sure we'll be able to stop it there - once it knows one thing ...

18. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

That is actually truly terrifying!

19. EightBitTony

We're stumbling right into that future. Google Glass was just a bit too early - too many people in the target age range were still nervous about security and privacy and always on cameras.

In another 10 years, the Instagram / Snapchat generation will have all the disposable income they need to buy always on, augmented reality glasses, with built in video live streaming.

Exciting times ahead.

20. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

There's a story about Sir Thomas Beecham that goes something like this :

I met a woman in Fortnum and Mason and remembered that she had a brother.

"What's your brother doing these days"

"Oh he's still King"

MickLL

Geren likes this.