1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post FOCUS thoughts on OM-D EM-5

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by 0lybacker, Mar 8, 2012.

1. 0lybacker

0lybacker Well-Known Member

Hmmn. Picks up nicely. Does not feel unpleasant.

Here comes the BUT.

But it is poorly designed. And one is left wondering, once again "Why?" And much, much more "Why?" than on the advent of the Pen. With that camera, I had a lurking suspicion - despite being personally (deeply) sceptical - that it might just be OK. {Roaring success was, therefore, a pleasant surprise! :) }

Samples of OMDEMS on hand were pre-production but I wouldn't anticipate much change. It has good weight and balance with motor on but again, Oly OM principles of low weight (pocketability) would lead me to take the motor off.

New lenses look naff and are too large but don't handle too badly after acclimatisation.

Basically, the thing looks as though its has been designed by a committee, the Chair of which has resigned/been replaced/had nervous breakdown at regular intervals.

Back to the drawing board guys. E-5 Mk2 needed with improved sensor together with pro-sumer and amateur lo-cost versions ... plus the Pen, I want, please. Then you can sort the OM-D EM-5 out. ;)

On that latter note, the outlook is gloomy. Can't believe Olympus can be so daft but then, again, I can. It is par for the course for them. I have a horrible, creeping suspicion that my time in the Olympus camp - apart from a couple of nostalgic toys - may be over. :(:eek::(

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I was happy enough with the lenses - thought they were fine. Not how I would've designed them, but fine, and only a bit too large - much better than Sony's efforts, for sure.

I was more impressed by the camera than I was expecting. It's not in any way an OM; it doesn't look like one or feel like one. My initial impression that it looks more like a Cosina OM 2000 still feels spot on the money. It's not the triumph of design that the Pens are, and certainly doesn't feel as good or handle as well as my E-P1. The EVF is horrible - better than most, for sure, but it's still an EVF, and the downsides of that drive me crazy. I felt build was a touch agricultural, but it was a pre-prod sample, so I'll let them off. But yes, designed by a committee sums it up fairly nicely. The rear screen seemed decent, and image quality on that screen looked very good, as did some of the prints being handed round.

Would I buy one? No.

3. Fen

Fen <span style="font-weight: bold; color: #AF7817;">L

That I fear is the main problem.

When I was at their stand the only people really excited were the people watching 'Ola' and the die hard Olympus fanboys who would hear no wrong.

A couple of tech-writers from other magazines were looking at the camera at the same time as I was and their comments were much the same as written above. Such a shame, it looks like they've missed a good opportunity here.

4. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

I like Olympus. Have been a fan of theirs since My first camera, an OM1.

I really believed the would move forward with the E series, and if they had I would have done my best to move with them.

As it is........... there isn't anything to move forward with, Their lenses to me were the best, Zuiko could have held their own with anything. Now it seems the quality of manufacture has gone, the willingness to go after the high end market has gone and they refuse to listen to the people who matter... their customers

5. 0lybacker

Me, too, x2! :(

6. 0lybacker

'Ola'?

Were those the dancers/models on the podium thingy?

Er ... oh dear, ... I AM past it! :rolleyes::p:eek::eek:;)

7. Fen

Fen <span style="font-weight: bold; color: #AF7817;">L

Apparently they were on some ballroom dance program on the bbc

8. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Anyone have a opinion to how it sits with the Lumix GH2 and G3?

Looking at specs it seems a slightly improved GH2 which is 4.5fps, 16MP, 1.44M dots EVF

Wasn't there a lot of hype about the EVF? Does not read it is much to get excited about.

Olympus really need some good PR these days. :(

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Can't see any reason to buy one over a G3.

Yes, there was; that was my main reason for wanting to see the camera. It's certainly better than some I've seen, but it still suffers from dreadful contrast, pixellation and lag.

They do indeed. I think some will be seduced by this camera, but it's not a game-changer for me in the way the Pens were.

10. P_Stoddart

Oh dear, reads like the OM-D E5 alot of money for 9fps and nostalgia. :rolleyes:

11. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

I thought the Olympus stand was disappointing - basically a short catwalk and, when I was there, one rep with a camera!

I couldn't be bothered to queue to have a look at it. Why didn't they have it on display with the lenses etc so you could at least gawp at it? And they didn't seem to be promoting any of their other cameras.

The only interesting thing for me was seeing the usual rush of blokes when the dancers appeared. :)

12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I did not go to Focus - in fact I have never been to a launch where I was not disappointed in one way or another. At the Pen launch three years ago it was all a similar crowd, one chance to take an (out of focus) image of David Bailey and about 10 seconds to handle a real camera. I could have learn more from a spec sheet and it was not until a year later when the price dropped (next model came out) and they gave away a free 4/3 adaptor that I bought one and realised just how much I liked it. I expect that this new model will go though a similar evolution.

Roger

13. Oly_Man

Oly_Man Well-Known Member

Sounds sadly like it's just what I was expecting.
    The first digital OM should have been a full-frame D800 competitor, priced accordingly, not Pen technology packaged into an OM-inspired body.
    I'm no fan of EVFs either.

14. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but this all sounds a bit like a re-run of what happened when the OM1 first appeared. This is based on comments I heard from Canon, Nikon and Minolta fan-boys at a camera shop I was working at, who generally thought it wouldn't be up to the job as a 'pro' camera because it was too small, and it looked like a toy. Having said that, some of these blokes a few months later were trading in their cameras and had to bite my tongue due to what I had heard them saying 6-9 months previously! I have to admit to being an Olly user, so maybe my opinion is similarly 'coloured' in the opposite direction, and my view is that the E1, was a joy to use egonomically and size-wise, whilst I think the E3/5's feel like they needed to be put on a serious diet. Nevertheless, I bought an E3; I suspect the designers of the OM-D, must have been taking a much closer look at the design principles laid down by Yoshihisa Maitani, (died 2009) or his ghost has been looking over their shoulders.

I was going to go back to the stand to get a much better look at the OM-D, but en route I got waylaid by the compactness and engineering quality of the Alpa 12's ..... Ok, so I'd never be able to justify the expense of even a s/h film version, but it was worth every second of the time I spent closely inspecting this wonderful camera!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2012
  15. P_Stoddart

I cannot say from experience but I believe when the OM1 was launched its was ground breaking. But the OM-D is launching into a market with plenty of compact camera technology. Some at a much keener price like the Lumix G3.

But the OM1 was not totally orginal I believe, you can see some stuff from the Pentax Spotmatic in there.

Benchista may have a different take on that position. :)

16. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

Still have my OM1. Must be due a service by now.....

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Nope. :cool:

18. P_Stoddart

Is that, it's not working or working? :D

If it is still working, given how the film world is going I'd give it a bit of exercise. :)

19. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

Yeah, it's working, but the film counter has packed uo (no problem). I'll get a roll of film and give it a run :)

20. P_Stoddart

If you want to use Kodak E-6 you better hurry up. :(