1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Post deleted by perkeo

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by perkeo, Feb 28, 2001.

1. perkeo

perkeo Well-Known Member

2. Raz

Raz Well-Known Member

Re: Magnum and the Kumbh Mela Visions.

i tend to agree, considering.. basicly its going to be hard to not get good pictures... that really the photographers didnt do a great job. i appreciate how hard it was over there, and i know a few photographers got a few kicks and there gear stolen, band and abused.. so for that im glad they got any.. but the images bar a 2 failed to show the amzing scale and passion the event obviously held. i dont think they did the subject justice.. but to be controversial.. I've never really thought much of magnum anyway. (apart from there rules and ethic's)..all the photographers seem to have got famous with one set of pictures.. then spend the rest of their career riding off those images.. none being as good as other contemporys... apart from ofcourse the man himself.. bresson, great pictures and amzing speed.. its the speed that does it for me
    Raz

www.angelfire.com/on/aroof

3. JMACNALLY

JMACNALLY RIP

Most of the people I have shown my AP to agree that the pictures weren't too inspiring, but this maybe because they were the only ones AP were given. I don't doubt that there will be more books etc. forthcoming showing the atmosphere of the event and other aspects.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Actually, Raz, I think Cartier-Bresson is/was by far the most overrated member of Magnum - definately one of the "live of a few good shots" brigade. Just he happened to think of the phrase "the decisive moment". Without that, I don't think he would have done half as well. The speed often shows - in poor composition!

Nick

5. Raz

Raz Well-Known Member

hmmm i know what you mean.. the pictures are good.. but what makes them good is the way he achived them.. and seeing him actually take them (i got a video) is outstandin.. literally running ducking diving.. getting getting the metering right and pressing the shutter.. thats what is impressive.. and i suppose in that light.. it isnt the final picture that matters it was the dance he did to get it.. oh got i always get stuck in conceptual idea's in photography.. but to me.. thats his longevity and validity.. as well as being one of the founders of magnum.. (photographers standing up for themself)-- but i mean come on.. hes not as bad as martin parr.. although i quitelike some of his new work.. but hes still surfing on work he did 20 years ago.

www.angelfire.com/on/aroof

6. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Presentation is everything, maybe fewer photographs given more space would have helped but I suspect Magnum are holding on to the best shots for some forthcoming publication.

As for HCB, it all comes down to a matter of opinion and taste. I believe his place is secure as one of the great photographers of the the 20th century, whether I like it or not :))

7. N Atherton

N Atherton Member

Sorry you didn't like the Kumbh Mela piece. As the Features Editor, I commissioned this feature, and one of the drawbacks of agreeing to run a story before you see it (which we rarely do) is that you're committed to it come what may. In retrospect it may have been better to have focused on one person's work. A lot of people liked Bruce Gilden's b&w's.
    But to be honest, I haven't yet seen any really great pictures of Kumbh Mela from anyone, though we have just received a portfolio submission from a reader which is at least as good as the Magnum ones we published.

Nigel Atherton

PS: I hope there hasn't been too many other 'let downs'