1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Possible Pentax FF body...wishlist

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hi,

I know this has been discussed before, but I have changed my mind about something. Two friends at my Photographic Club have recently bought themselves FF bodied cameras with very high pixel counts. Well one, who is a well respected landscape photographer, told me that he has found his quite a difficult camera to use. Due to the very high resolution, he is concerned that it is all too easy to get soft images due to camera shake, even with stabilisation switched on. Also he thinks defraction problems seem to set in earlier than on his APS-C body. Advice given was to try to always use a tripod and use 'mirror up' to reduce shakes. The advice was also to use inverse of double the focal length as the shutter speed, i.e. 1/200th second for a 100mm lens when hand held. This is just his observations of course and may not be typical of every user's experience. It may also be true that he is perhaps using less suitable lenses.

Well, I use my camera for just about everything from landscapes to street photography and holidays, so I do not want to have to cart a tripod everywhere and take all of these precautions to be sure of a good image. I also want to be able to use my legacy lenses. Perhaps then around 16 to 20Mp is a better compromise, such as the D600, 5D Mk 3 and other similar Marks. So I am hoping that the Pentax body, when it comes, will be a little more restrained. The Nikon D4 for example has only 16.2Mp, yet is is one of the best cameras around and the results are spectacular.

Perhaps Pixels are not the only measure of good. What do you think?

2. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Not sure what the problems is. :)

The newer IS systems usually good for 4 stop at least.

But the new FF sensors also have high ISO ceilings so the shutter speeds needed to keep camera shake at bay are available.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Ca...rand2)/Canon/(appareil3)/792|0/(brand3)/Nikon

As for diffraction, read this

http://www.luminescentphoto.com/blog/2012/07/18/d800-sharpness-diffraction/

When you zoom on a image you are experience the image as if printed very large and examined close.

3. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

If you pixel peep to 100% actual pixels onscreen, then high resolution sensors are going to be more demanding. However, if you compare uncropped prints of the same size, the high resolution sensor gives a small improvement in overall resolution with the same lens (see Prof. Newman's article of a year or so ago).

Personally, I think around 18-24Mpxl is about right for full frame for my purposes, giving enough resolution for reasonable sized prints and large enough wells for good dynamic range.

What's really on my wishlist for the next Pentax DSLR is automatic hyperfocal focussing.

4. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Despite all the denials on this Forum pros who have adopted the Nikon D800 (maybe the club members very high pixel count FF) are reporting via magazines like Grays of Westminster Gazette that it is the best thing since sliced bread now but it gave them some real problems to start with. They have reported the same symptoms of visible camera shake because of the resolution of the sensor. They have said they had to rethink their methods.

Your thread also indicates that new starters on digital have never had to think about shutter speeds and the film "rule" of 1/the focal length minimum - but it's worth learning.

The Nikon D4 has 16.2 Mp because (as the D4 catalogue says) it gives the best balance between low light performance, data processing speed, depth as well as detail, and smooth colour transition. These are all pro photographer requirements.

However, the minute Canon bring out a 50 Mp enthusiast camera followed by a 50 Mp starter camera, and they will, then all amateurs will want them.

So for your Pentax FF wish list you maybe want to forget the pro requirements (despite them being right) and wish for about 24 Mp to start with - seems like a good balance between pixel lust and good results without the tears. Oh - and some high build quality like a magnesium alloy chassis.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  5. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I have another friend who has the D4. I cannot see any need to go beyond 16.2Mp in truth. Even the D300s gives excellent results. My K-5 has superb colour rendition and image quality, which would be even better in FF.

The other benefit to a lower pixel count is faster continuous shooting, up to 10fps instead of just 4. I am far more concerned about the pro requirements than I am about bottom line pixel count.

The build quality is taken for granted really, again my K-5 excels in that department. I would not expect Pentax to produce anything less in a 'long awaited' FF body.

Perhaps Pentax may consider using the (Sony?) sensor from the D4. That would be nice.

After all is said and done, if one really needs more pixels, there is always the Pentax medium format route.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Truer words have yet to be utter, young David. :) Personally speaking, I still
    believe the yob who's pressing the shutter button should receive the accolades for the resulting images.

Cheers,

Jack

7. Done_rundleCams

I meant to add that the "yob/ette" is also in charge of deciding when/where/why to go out for picture taking :)

Cheers,

Jack

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

And you did too................;)

9. Done_rundleCams

and you did too, Monsieur Nigel :D

Cheers,

Jack