1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portmuck Waves 2

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by beatnik69, Oct 6, 2018.

1. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I took this one this morning. The tide was too high for the shot I had in mind, so I took this instead. There wasn't really much colour in the sky at all as the sun came up, which was a little disappointing.

[​IMG]Portmuck Waves 2 by Gary Robinson Photography, on Flickr

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Not sure the composition excites me to be entirely open. Also, it feels very blue? I actually prefer the shot in black and white (which isn't something I say often about landscapes).

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I think the bottom half is doing nice things, but top half is very ordinary. Mag in the sky again too.

4. beatnik69

The sooner I get a decent set of grad filters the better.

5. RovingMike

Don't get Cokin. Ned to pay quite a lot for real ND.

6. beatnik69

I used to have Cokin, but lost the wallet a few months ago. Bought some cheapies to tide me over until I can get a decent set but they really are nasty. I'm thinking of going for NiSi. They seem to get good reviews.

7. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Cokin aren't bad until you start doubling them up, then you get a magenta cast, but as Mike says, a true neutral density filter is expensive. I bit the bullet and have been slowly replacing my Cokins with Lee. If you're serious about landscape photography, it's a shame to put a piece of inferior glass in front of an expensive lens.
    A cheaper method is taking a couple of shots and blending the two exposures. ;)

8. RovingMike

I'd go with Lee.

9. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

Cokin Nuances are very good indeed

Gary
    This is a much better shutter speed than the 3 seconds in #1 get out for a bigger sea and play with shutter speeds from 1/30 to 0.5 seconds and if you get close and avoid waves and spray the irish sea has much to offer
    I live the other side of the Irish sea.

beatnik69 likes this.
  10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I use Lee, and also find Hitech fine (I currently use one of their reverse grass, and have a set of P size grads) , but if I were buying now, I would get Nisi or Breakthrough filters, which seem excellent.

Incidentally, I'm building up a set of old Cokin A filters for a little project I have in mind for next year - as many weird ones as I can find.;)

11. beatnik69

I've been looking at the NiSi ones. They come with a CP and the filter holder has a little wheel built in which allows you to turn the polariser without rotating the rest of the filters.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And the NDs are optical glass, and have a good reputation for lack of colour cast. Breakthrough are allegedly the best of all, but expensive, and only available from the US, as far as I can tell.

beatnik69 likes this.
  13. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I finally got around to buying some Lee Filters. The main downside is the amount of space their pouches take up - this was a big surprise to me. I wrote off my Cokin ones by trying to save space by doubling up in the carry boxes - an excellent way to make ND ground glass I found.

14. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Am I the only one seeing two ships on the horizon just right of centre?

I don`t see magenta in the sky either.My monitor is calibrated, too before anyone asks.

15. PeteRob

No, they are there. It is more a hint of magenta. It isn't particularly obvious on my screen.

16. beatnik69

It's actually two lighthouses on a pair of islands called The Maidens. In between them you can see a bit of Scotland (Kintyre)

17. RovingMike

Fairly clear on mine, re-calibrated today. This is without:

[​IMG]

But some seems to be creeping back in between flickr and here.

18. PeteRob

I can see it if I toggle between the two, more clear on my NEC than my iMac screen.