1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Port-Glasgow Ship Builder family album found at car boot

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Kamepa, Jun 10, 2011.

1. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This album and a few other items cost me 87p at a local car boot sale. I believe it is all related in some way to the Ferguson Port-Glasgow Ship Building Firm or a family member. I think it dates from 1890's onwards to possibly the 1950's. Complete album can be found here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sovietcamera/sets/72157626928278396/

Any information or help in identifying these individuals would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I would got to rootsweb (http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/) and see if you can find a Scottish, or particularly a Glaswegian, family history mailing list. Despite the Ancestry connection, the mailing lists are free.

The other possibility that comes immediately to mind is to try the Mariners mailing list - just look for that name in Rootsweb - who are mad keen on anything shipping related.

Hope that helps,

Adrian

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

4. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

delightful set of piccies

5. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

Thanks for the information I have responded to the forum post and might be lucky and find a link to this familiy. If I could identify the address of the hous it would be a start.

[​IMG]

From a newspaper obituary cutting found with the photo album: Clyd Shipbuilders Death, Mr Robert Ferguson, 66 Newark Street, Greenock. He was one of four brothers that started the Port-Glasgow Ship Building Firm. He was 68 years old.

Does anybody know if this house still exists and is the one in the photo?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
  6. gray1720

I've had a quick look in street view (should be doing other thing, mind), and can't see anything that matches it - but the houses generally from my very limited knowledge of Scottish Architecture look as though they could be post-WW1 - any Scots out there who could comment further? The house in the photo is classic cod-baronial 19th century Scottish architecture, missing only the candle-snuffer turrets for the full set.

Adrian

7. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

I looked at street view and don't think the location is the same or maybe even street view is not correct? The house does look typical for the period and not somrthing you would find in my local area of Suffolk.

8. gray1720

Hard to say - it's obviously in a posh area, because it's such a fine house, but my knowledge of Greenock is nil. Architecturally, it actually matches this place pretty well: http://www.amazingretreats.com/venues/kinnettles-castle/image-gallery/
    though that might just be because the style was so very popular. That house is 1840s IIRC (and, if you go down to the bottom of the gallery, the stable block is where my ancestors lived).

As you say, I'd be pretty damn surprised to see it in rural East Anglia - I'd definitely walk round it twice! But it reeks of Scotland - the corbie-step gables especially. Even if you hadn't said, I'd have said north of the border straight away. I think this might be one where local knowledge is called for - are there any others of houses in there that might give clues? Unfortunately my architectural contacts are all in Dundee, or not on email, which is the wrong side of the country for you. Check the rootsweb groups for one with a reasonable amount of traffic, and post a link to Photobucket. I've had a couple of very unpromising pictures identified just by being lucky enough to have a clue as to the area.

Good luck!

Adrian

9. dachs

dachs Well-Known Member

I was in Greenock last October; there are remnants of the architecture dotted about but much has gone for new build 60's onwards housing; as often one manse gives developers 20 plots of rabbit hutch. The odd pub and hotel survives and they have a nice park with a manse in it, but my best guess would be that this particular one had gone.

Paisley down the road is similar, with perhaps more post WWII bungalows. Good luck in your searches

10. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

The minute I saw the photo of the house, I thought 'Helensburgh'. Most of the wealthy associated with the ship building industry in Greenock lived in Helensburgh, and commuted by ferry.

I used to spend a lot of time Helensburgh, and this architectural style is very typical of the older properties, and, I must say, it seems vaguely familiar.

11. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

It could be anywhere on the Clyde coast or just inland. The transport network was different back then, with fleets of paddle steamers sccoting about the Clyde you could commute easily from Bute, Dunoon, Rhu, Wemyss Bay. Many of the magnates also lived slightly inland in places like Houston, Bridge of Weir and Kilmacolm. I would suggest trying Inverclydes museums or searching out a local history society. The Glasgow transport museum (of which we are bound to see hundreds of photos!) is due to open next week and they may hold info (or even be interested in the pics).

Graeme

12. Kamepa

Kamepa Well-Known Member

Good idea I will contact them

Here is a newspaper cutting that came with the album

[​IMG]

On the back:

[​IMG]

I am confused now as the ship Builder Robert Ferguson died in 1955. Another Ship builder by the same name possibly a relative died in 1937. The newspaper article from the information on the back probably dates from 1941 or possibly even 1937 unless there was a none aggression pact signed in Berlin in 1955? There was loads of none aggrssion pacts or similar signed in the 1937-55 period. All a bit of information overload!!!

Just discovered that the Auxiliary Territorial Service (ATS) was formed in 1938 so date is either 1941 or 55.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Definitely 1941. Yugoslavia after the war was commie, and there is mentionof the Prince Regent. He left the scene in about 1944 ISTR