1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Porridge

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dream_police, Oct 13, 2017.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Why on earth have the beeb decided to remake the classic Porridge? I have managed about 5 mins of this tonight. What a pile of crap. They should really just leave things alone. It's a good job they have opened up a few cans of laughter. Without it, I may not have realised it was a comedy.

saxacat and peterba like this.
  2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I saw a trailor the other evening so did not even bother....

3. dream_police

I wish I had...

4. dream_police

5. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I rarely watch TV but the Mrs does, she tells me they are fast running out of ideas nearly all the soaps have the same story line!........and yes they should leave all the classics from years ago alone, not only are they bad remakes but the actors are r.....h too........if I were a single person there would be no room in the house for a TV.

6. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more. Sadly, it's not the only indicator of money getting tight.

BUT, I do enjoy some nights' viewing.

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it

8. dream_police

Well it'd be boring if we all enjoyed the same things.
    Having said that there's no accounting for taste ;):)

9. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I must confess I do watch the local news, but even that is sometimes old which I have seen before on the Internet!

10. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

The one that I find utterly unwatchable is that silly re-hash of a story about a useless Prime Minister, running an unpleasant and useless government. It stars (if that's the right word) Theresa something-or-other - an appallingly bad actor - and the plot is even worse..

11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I think they call that reality something or other.

peterba likes this.
  12. peterba

Yes - in common with the so-called 'reality' TV shows, it's about as unreal as can be.

13. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

But wait till they show the episode where she finds the tumbril outside the front door. That should be a hoot ;)

peterba likes this.
  14. peterba

Yes, for that one, I reckon the viewing figures will be quite high. :)

15. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Ideas are getting tighter. And willingness to take risks on the part of producers, tighter still. That's Gen X making all the decisions for you (see earlier thread).

TheFatControlleR likes this.
  16. dream_police

They could update a current comedy and set it in the not too distant past but make it more farcical. Call it "Mr Browns Boys" perhaps.:)

17. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I agree! Trying to redo an old TV shows never works and you'd think they'd realised that by now.

18. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I've generally found the BBC's programmes better than that available on ITV. However, at least with the latter, one can look forward to the adverts between and during some programmes .... :rolleyes:

19. dream_police

I am quite enjoying the Simon Reeves doc on Russia on BBC2 and also Louis Theroux's one about Heroin use in the US

20. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I was quite impressed by the way that last night's episode of Porridge showed the title of the episode in exactly the same way as it appeared in the original series - the same font, in white with a kind of fuzzy edge around it. Everything else about the programme was abysmal (in my opinion - other opinions may be available)

Cheers, Jeff