1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Would you want Wi-Fi in your camera?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

I wonder if you would be interested in a camera that could automatically download images to your computer the moment you walked in the front door. Or a camera that could automatically update its own firmware, or one that you could connect directly to a photo-sharing website, or one that could beam its live view to a remote-control screen where you could alter menu settings. In other electronic devices these functions sound normal, but in cameras it all seems futuristic.

Press photographers have been using wireless connections for some time to rocket their breaking news images to the picture desk, but now we are seeing the same technology in enthusiast and consumer cameras. Samsung has brought what it does so well in its phones to its latest NX compact system cameras, while Nikon has distilled what it does for its professionals and is offering it to purchasers of the D3200.

I wonder how much the average photographer wants Wi-Fi, or really appreciates what it does. For those of us who came from film it is a curious step, but if we love digital photography for its convenience and instant nature, Wi-Fi connections perhaps make perfect sense. I’m sure it might be the future.

Take part in this weeks poll Would you want Wi-Fi in our camera? by clicking on the link.

[​IMG]

2. Fen

Fen <span style="font-weight: bold; color: #AF7817;">L

Not really interested in wi-fi for the camera.

GPS... yeah.

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Not many wi-fi hot spots out in the woods but I would quite like it if my camera downloaded itself to my computer when I got home.

As it is I have to bend down and plug it in just to transfer data and that's outrageous in this day and age:p;)

And I have to take the battery out and plug that in too.....I'd like wireless power transfer aswell as wireless data transfer.

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I could see scenarios where it would be beneficial - but only if it was an integrated solution (as Samsung have done) rather than the stupid accessory for the D3200 which requires your other input/output plugs to be exposed to the elements whilst using it. Even the Olympus PenPal thing is designed better.

5. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Thing is a USB2.0 card reader gets the data of my cards quicker than WI-FI.

The real break through would be 4G which with the switchover is now on the cards.

6. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Absolutely not. No download without MY explicit consent ... otherwise any camera with this technology is fair game for having the images within it downloaded by third parties without the owner's consent, or even replaced by incriminating images.

Automatic firmware update? NEVER! Should be banned by law .... the security implications are alarming, to say the least. It's MY device, not the manufacturers to have restricted or crippled at their whim.

Futuristic? Maybe, if so I don't want to go there.

7. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

I should want it because the pro's can do it?

No thanks.

8. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Not the least interested in WiFi in a camera, as I 'proof' directly from the card, and dump those I don't want, and only download those I do.

However, I am interested in which web designer thinks that with the noun 'vote':

one = votes
    two or more = vote :D

9. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

It is the sort of thing you would find a use for.

It would be useful to be able to control a camera at a distance and see the view.
    But you would also need to control the mounting head it was on, and any other associated equipment like flashes or IR lighting. Photography is very much an interrelated operation. To control one part with out the others is rather pointless.

10. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

I copy my files to my netbook and back that up over the internet to a hard disk at home. I would be nice if I could do it straight from the camera. The problem is file size and slow outward bound internet connections in hotels: at 20 minutes per photograph, the advantage of a wifi connection is somewhat nullified.

On the other hand, if the camera automatically built a website on itself, of small versions of the photos, was able to create a tunnel through to my computer at home so that I could give it a public ip number and address, http://f16.eu/camera, then that would be a bit of fun. Maybe live view streaming to http://f16.eu/whatsalanlookingat

11. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

No. As others have said, security issues, and a card reader is faster when I get home. I can see the point for some users, where being able to upload directly from (an urban) location could be useful, but it's not something I want.

BTW, there seems to be a bug in the logic of the poll results display: 1 votes... 17 vote

12. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Never say never, but I can't see a use for it at present.

One of those global positioning thingies would be ever so useful however.

13. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I voted "yes it would be brilliant"

In fact the additional card slot of the 5D mk3 is one of the reasons i will buy it - so i can stick in a wifi card.

I do realise that i probably shoot a lot differently than a lot of people, but for me the ability to shoot and transfer the images in real time to laptop or iPad for review would be "brilliant"

When using flash it would give a lot bigger image to review the lighting, it would give a much clearer image with with to show the model why is/isn't working, and would make it much easier to know when the "shot" is achieved - many pics are ruined by tiny details that you just can't see on the camera back

I've tried shooting tethered, but the camera to laptop lead just annoys me too much

Oddly GPS is one camera "feature" I can not understand at all. What could it possibly be used for?? If I want to know where something is the first thing I'd do is look at a photo to see. If there is no photo then a lat/long would be a fall back. So as with every photo you can immediately see where it was taken why would you ever need to know the lat/long? I don't understand.... I must be missing something

14. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Yes you are. If you're shooting wildlife with a long lens, or botanical subjects in the field, your location may be far from obvious from the image contents. And for some work having an accurate time stamp is useful, GPS provides one of the best available. It's receive only so no security issues. Makes sense but whether it's worth the complication, power draw & expense .... maybe so for some people, obviously not for others.

15. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I have no need for any of these gizmos but we all use our cameras differently so I'm quite sure others will welcome them.

16. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Ok yes I can sort of see that. But I am fairly sure that whatever the subject it would be enough to jog my memory of the time and place I shot it. But if you were cataloging thousands of images, say, I can see how it could save time.

17. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Shooting stock you take umpteen shots in strange lands and, even though I try to write up a diary, it takes forever to pin down the exact locations. GPS would be incredibly useful.

18. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

As BJB says.
    One of my photographic regrets was a trip to the Galapogos Islands. Some day I might find an expert to help but for now I haven't a blind clue which photographs go with which island.:(

19. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Just to add my 2p worth to GPS debate, we already have wildlife competitions demanding access to raw file from entrants and I suspect that it will only be a matter of time before the organisers demand GPS info in the exif file. Similarly with news photos from war locations, they may become unusable without GPS information

Roger

20. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Continuing the GPS tangent.

I just did a little experiment and did some random clicking on "My Pictures" I came across a folder containing this pic.

[​IMG]

I picked that one out because it gave no visual clue as to where it was. I remember shooting it one day trip to London, somewhere on the south bank in 2006. It took me about 2 mins to pin-point it to here

Here

Ok London is a bit more structured than a landscape environment, and the google maps coverage is probably better there, It was an interesting memory test though.

[edit] I'm not trying to say GPS in cameras is pointless of course. I'm just fascinated by the diversity of humanity generally. And think it's brilliant how something as useless to me as a chocolate tea cup is highly desirable to others and via versa. In fact the endless variety of humans is the main reason i enjoy photographing them so much

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012