1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Would you every buy a camera with an EVF?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jul 14, 2015.

1. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

I voted no. But that isn't strictly true.

With my shiny new Fuji X-Pro one I do own a camera with an optional EVF, but I chose not to use it.

But I do use what Fuji call a hybrid viewfinder. This is basically an optical finder with a head up display overlaid on it. I have turned off much of the info shown, but have kept exposure compensation and exposure settings.

2. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Or let's not. Sometimes I just want to press the button and get a picture, not because I'm a "news pro", because it's a long time since I was, but just because I want it that way.

So long as we bear in mind that neither approach is superior, we can all enjoy ourselves in our seperate ways.

3. 110bob

110bob New Member

So long as we bear in mind that neither approach is superior, we can all enjoy ourselves in our seperate ways.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, and I often just press the button myself. It's just that dials and old style metal seems to make the "tinkering about" shots more pleasureable and we've got loads of very similar very fast, capable cameras. Which may leave an opening for something different, but which ironically will probably lean heavily on the past. I suppose now I've got what photographers dreamt about 20-30 years ago, I would like something else. Call me fickle if you will.

I did take an Olympus OM 10 out a few weeks ago and was shocked how low my hit rate had become, whether due to ageing or use it or lose it I don't know, I loved using it, but found the results an unpleasant jolt.

4. 110bob

110bob New Member

Say Phil, how have you got on with that X-Pro1, I keep hankering after one, but picked up a bargain EOS 100D with 24mm 2.8 as I have loads of Canon stuff and it was dead right, only 369 shots fired. Sigh !

5. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Probably not.....wouldn't buy a compact with any sort of a viewfinder and SLRs have optical finders. Can't see me buying anything other than a compact that goes in a pocket or a SLR that does sports and macro.

Cameras with EVFs tend to occupy that middle ground of either being not enough of a compromise in terms of size or too much of a compromise in terms of performance.

6. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I'd say quite the opposite. My wife's TZ70 is very pocketable with its EVF tucked into a corner. My G2 cameras give one hell of a bang for the weight, thanks to the tiny EVFs.

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Where I find my WX10 a bit on the large side for a compact. My idea of a compact is pretty much an "ultra compact" but even then with the kind of lightweight outdoor clothing I usually wear they can still feel a bit bulky.

Something that is pretty much just a screen with a short, fast zoom and weighs a couple of ounces would be ideal for me.....assuming you can see the screen outside and it needs less than a weeks notice to fire the shutter that is! :)

8. alfbranch

alfbranch Well-Known Member

Well switching to an EVF helped my macro move on massively

I have two cameras with EVF and one with a clip on EVF and I can say a good EVF is much better than a poor OVF any day. Having clipping warnings in the viewfinder before the shot is taken can be great too or a histogram etc etc.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015
  9. ZenTog

ZenTog Well-Known Member

IMHO

1. Any viewfinder is better than no viewfinder.

2. Optical is best but there are times I would prefer something that showed me how my settings are being applied ie when I switch to mono. The light etc in mono is different from colour and you need to adjust for it in how you compose.

3. See point 1.