1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Would you every buy a camera with an EVF?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

This week we ask - Would you every buy a camera with an EVF? Take part and vote http://apmag.co/nVmFeF
    on this week's poll

[​IMG]

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

From the poll so far all 9 were in favour of EVF's
    So it would seem that they have gained considerable acceptance since the advent of csc cameras.

3. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I already have three with built-in EVFs and two with clip-ons. It's a no-brainer from my point of view: WYSIWYG.

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Senator, you get that with the rear screen! What's the difference? Cheers, Oly

5. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I have a camera with an EVF - a Fuji bridge I bought 9 years ago which I still use occasionally, but I don't like them. The Fuji was a compromise.

The poll was missing an "I have one but I don't like them" option, so I voted "I have one", but perhaps I should go back and vote "I don't like them" as well...

S.A., they're not quite WYSIWYG, more WYSI a fraction of a second before WYG! :)

6. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

No sunblast.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Had to vote "No, can't use them because they give me headaches" - not absolutely true, they don't, but they make me nauseous, disorientated and make me fall over, so they're completely useless to me. No problems with a rear screen or optical finder.

8. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

[The following statement is now pointless, see EDIT at end of post.] I'm not usually one to knock the Weekly Question, its what i built the Ultimate Poll in defence of (http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?107089-Ultimate-Poll), but i belive this weeks question may be incomplete? Based on the responses i can choose, perhaps it should read:

"Would you ever buy a camera with an EVF instead of an optical viewfinder?"

Or taking into account the typo in the thread headder:

"Would every camera you buy in future have an EVF"

The above which i would say no to. SLRs are fine. Medium Format SLRs which i would aspire to one day own and use are currenly optical only (and way out of my price range).

The question "Would you ever buy a camera with an EVF?" assumes A) I have not already, which I have in the Lumix G3 which is on permanent loan to a close friend, and B) that I am not planning on getting any more Optical viewfinder cameras such as a Leica or future SLR, which i definately am...

:eek:EDIT - Ignore this post, just seen "I already own one" in the choices.:eek:

EDIT EDIT - Actually, I just chose "Yes, i already own one" but I am not planing on buying another one any time soon... does that count? Probbably with the way the question is worded. Never mind, carry on reguardless!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
  9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

My answer would be simple yes...;)

Having looked through a few of the latest generation they seem acceptable but I'm not rushing off to buy a camera just becuase it's got one. I would generally buy a camera with an EVF over one without though - all else being equal(ish)...:)

10. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

It depends on the EVF.

I've used an A77-2 (EVF) simultaneously with an A350 (optical) and using the EVF was no problem. A slightly different user experience as the viewfinder picture freezes for a moment during capture rather than blanking out which takes a bit out getting used to.

The lack of mirror slap is nice, but slightly disconcerting if you've got so used to it in the past. With the EVF, I can fold the back display inwards and review shots without taking my eye from the viewfinder.

I've also used an A55 (I think that was the first Sony SLT EVF) in the past which used a slightly different display technology and I couldn't get on with that - a bit slower response and when you blink the picture decomposed to RGB bands. I can understand that making you nauseous after a while!

11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I think the questions should have been limited to the Current and future generations of EVF's
    In the past they have ranged from diabolical to useless.
    They are now mostly good to excellent.

12. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

I prefer the EVF on my Fuji X-T1 over an optical viewfinder, it has much more functionality.

13. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Yup, I like the EVF on the Fuji XPro1.

14. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

P900

:)

Jack

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Plus, if your eyes are as bad as mine you end up either having to take your glasses off and holding the camera so close you may as well have a VF or holding it at arms length and getting camera shake all the time. Not to mention looking a right pillock! :eek:

And with an optical, ie DSLR, VF you may end up chimping, as I believe they call it, all the time!

I've just spent a month or two trying to use a rear-screen only camera - it's been retired already.

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I have one but not on my serious cameras. I consider them better than an off axis bright view finder with parallax problems but not as good as a reflex system. Perhaps they soon will be.

17. 110bob

110bob New Member

I've just bought a Canon 100D having tried EVF's and not liking them. Admittedly the fact that most of my other EOS stuff will work with it is also a factor, but trying EVF cameras clinched it for me, at the moment.

I wanted a small compact carry around and the 100D with 24mm and 40mm STM's just about fits the bill.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Oddly enough, the more modern ones are actually worse for my condition, the X-T1 being the worst I have tried. I suspect it's because the much smaller delay actually confuses my brain more than the massive lag on something like my elderly G1, which causes me few problems (but is horrible to use anyway!).

19. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Ever? Dunno.

Now? No.

Cheers,

R.

20. 110bob

110bob New Member

Do they make film cameras with EVF's ? I can remember when I would probably never go digital. I bet you can too Roger.

I hope that we see a resurgence of rangefinders, (it will be nice for the younger generation). Taking photography back to an era of fiddling and focussing, where the actual process is pleasure in itself, something tactile and involving. Rather than press and seven frames are gone plus HDR and white balance brackets, I'll find a picture in there somewhere. Fine if your a news pro, but for a pleasurable pastime, lets tinker and contemplate the results.