1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Would you ever use a selfie stick?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jun 2, 2015.

1. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Your tripod must be exceedingly lighter than mine.

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

The great thing is, you don't have to hold them, you know? :rolleyes:

3. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

Then your tripod must be exceedingly tall ;)

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Going back a few years on this forum one regular member of the time showed a picture of himself, presumably taken by a colleague, of himself stood at the top of a pair of very high steps while he used a large format camera on the highest tripod I could imagine. Does anyone remember him?

5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Not a expletive deleted chance ……. but, I'll sell 'em :D

Hypocritically yours,

Jack

6. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I am very lucky in that respect - it even has a detachable leg which the ball head can be directly attached to to make a monopod, however i do not use that function much... One leg good, three legs better...? I suppose it depends on what you need it for...

My old, heavy, 055 tripod was used in a similar manner however, being dangled over bridges to get river shots with the camera bare inches from the waters surface, hitched over my shoulder for unique POV shots etc. It's all good fun with an extended tripod so I can see why self-sticks could appeal, but I've already been doing it for a good long while (save for 'selfies' - I just set the tripod on its own feet for self portrait but it's a rare occasion, I am not a fascinating subject ;))

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  7. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I like that, Cuthbert! A good bit of lateral thinking. :) Cheers, Oly

8. 0lybacker

Hi Atavar, Nor am I. But I've got arms if a selfie is required along with a selection of Olympus widey-dangles. First ever one was done with newly acquired 30mm Lydith on Zenith E to show before & after effect of the removal of my first beard way back in nineteen-tiddlysomething. Did the business, s-stick or no s-stick. That's my schtick! Cheers, Oly

9. 0lybacker

The easy use of digital cameras, and attachment of images to e-mails seems like a great way to reduce the queues for appointments at Doctor's surgeries, especially for quick checks of potential skin cancers, chicken pox, measles, etc., etc.. On a recent skin cancer visit, I recently suggested as much to my GP. It was received with somewhat blistering under-enthusiasm.

Before the 'advent of (widespread) digital', I had chicken pox really badly. As it was a late-life occurrence, Doc (different, previous GP) insisted I dragged my very sick, extremely unwilling, correctly self-diagnosed & highly infectious body into his crowded waiting room. Eventually, I was ushered into The Presence to be told "You've got chicken pox." and "Go home, remain isolated. Stay in bed. Drink fluids. Take aspirin/paracetamol if necessary."

"Which is where I had been & had been doing until you dragged me in here, Doc."

All that careful watching of every single episode of ER?

Wasted.

"Thanks, Doc."

Cheers, Oly

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have a Benbo tripod, at maximum extension it is something like 10' tall and several feet beyond the reach of my remote release! However it would probably achieve a similar viewpoint to that achieved by those intent on taking their own image in front of some famous location. Excess baggage charges permitting, packed it is of a size similar to a set of golf clubs.

11. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I've no need of one, my camera has a flip screen.

12. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I would say, Oly, more upwardly mobile thinking :rolleyes:

Cheers,

jack

13. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Only to poke my own eye out.

Cheers,

R.

14. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Geoff,

Are you sure? My tallest tripod (a Linhof) is only about 8 feet, and as far as I recall the biggest Benbos ever made weren't quite that high (I had one once). Can you check it?

Cheers,

R.

15. alindsay

alindsay Well-Known Member

Heck no, it's like standing with a great big arrow with the label 'DORK' pointed at your head.

16. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

........or go around picking up old fag packets, waste paper etc. and thus make yourself useful?

........or fix to the base of a nordic walking stick (or both) and selfie yourself from a different angle?

Lynn

17. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

Up until this last week I would have instantly said no, but when you're in a small group and you want a shot of all of you (and you don't have a tripod with you) I can actually see the benefit of them.
    It'd probably give a better shot than I could get at arms length too, if I actually wanted to take a "selfie".

18. spuddie

spuddie Member

Yes but not for selfies, I reckon it could be useful for getting some interesting and unusual different photo angles such as high up over a crowd....much cheaper than buying a drone :)

19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

..and probably easier to control

20. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

I use a Manfrotto 679 monopod, with a Manfrotto 222 [ original ] head.It holds my D800 and 24-70mm 2.8 but is a strain on the arms. [ one other reason for selling the D3 ]