1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Would you ever use a selfie stick?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Good God no! I look daft enough as it is without emphasising the fact...:D

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Why not ask what you really want to ask? How old are you?

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

"Yes, but not for taking a selfie"

Poking a wasps nest?
    Thrashing street urchins?
    Drawing rude things in the sand?

:confused:

5. Catriona

Haha!
    Scratching your back?

6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Well not really a "Selfie Stick" but I suppose it could be, I use a long extending window cleaning pole to use with my GoPro Action Camera to get stills and video from a different viewpoint. Also good for underwater pictures in local ponds.

7. Catriona

Apart from anything else, I don't think my D300S would balance...

8. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

"Yes, but not for taking a selfie"

Poking out of the upstairs windows to see if the gutters need cleaning out.
    Sticking through the loft-hatch to see what the error-status is on the boiler.

It does come in quite handy sometimes.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I doubt there is one strong enough for a D2 with 24-7- f2.8 and even if there were I probably couldn't hold the combination.

On the other hand, the idea isn't new, there is always a tripod and self timer.

10. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No, not for its intended purpose, but .....

11. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

My Self-Portrait stick has three legs, a centre column and a ball head...

...I do hope this question is not in preparation for the next AP cover give-away. Better be happening on April 1st if it is ;)

12. Catriona

Nah! It's the monthly comp prize (joking!). We are just not cool enough - yet!

13. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Yet - I am working on a secret invention to help us become like the cool kids...

...I have code named it the BrmHandl, see the below image for a shot of the prototype...

[​IMG]

So far I can only get pictures of my left hand at the end of a broom handel, there is more to this selfie-sticking than meets the eye...

14. Catriona

I think you are on to something here! It looks very sturdy and would take my Nikon and Canon easily! Perhaps an angle of 10deg upwards from floor level would do it? Then a push to and fro would also add another app for floor cleaning!
    Yes, definitely something to develop. :)

Kate

15. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

That's an idea, I'll work on that this afternoon :) I like the thought of a converged device, selfie stick and floor cleaner...

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

If you taper it to a point you could also use it as a toothpick

17. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

I have two of them, one of which has built in bluetooth rather than a separate remote and they are very useful at getting angles you would otherwise struggle to get - so why wouldn't I use them?

18. Catriona

My mind is boggling, MartyG - I have these visions of what you are trying to shoot... ;)

Kate

19. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

It has been a gruelling afternoon of testing but i think we are there...

As well as designing three new product lines, I also sought advice from leading industry think-tanks and focus groups on the new product - responding to their feedback, the name "BrmHandl" has been dropped and replaced with the much more cool and relevant "BrmHndl", which has been polled to be 16% more resonant with our target market than the old fashioned and fusty "BrmHandl", the removal of the vowel giving us a more free spirited and rebellious appearance in the eyes of the general public.

So, without further ado, I bring you "BrmHndl-Classic", "BrmHndl-Retro" and "BrmHndl-Power". Plans are currently afoot for "iBrmHndl" but have yet to come to fruition as i cannot find enough Blu-Tak.

BrmHndl-Classic

[​IMG]
    BrmHndl-Classic, although not available to buy yet, is a modern classic which will take the nation, and then the world, by storm! Available in almost any colour you can think of, your BrmHndl-Classic can be matched to your personality and mood. Feeling energetic? Grab your BrmHndl-Classic-Series-Orange and pop a selfie online to let people know. Feeling natural? Grab your BrmHndl-Classic-Series-Green and snap a selfie for your profile to let people know.* There is not a picture you can take of yourself BrmHndl classic cannot improve.

BrmHndl-Retro
    [​IMG]
    BrmHndl-Retro, a new twist on a classic favourite (BrmHndl-Clasic not yet available to buy). Made with real organic straw bristles just like they used make before they made brooms work properly, BrmHndl-Retro will bring an air of refinement to your selfie taking endeavours. Bring a feeling of 1800's country serfdom to your selfies wherever you are doing the sweeping,* at home, in the cinema, on a romantic moonlight stroll sweeping sand at the beach. Don't forget to share your favourite BrmHndl-Retro shots on www.BrmHndlretro.co.com.uk.org for that authentic feeling of yesteryear.

BrmHndl-Power
    [​IMG]
    With the awesome strength of 240 volts of pure electric power (110 volts for BrmHndl-PowerUSA special edition) you can take your selfie taking and domestic cleaning to the next level. Doing the vacuuming? You're not any more, you are wowing your friends, family and random strangers you have added on social media with your superpower selfie skills!* If you need to take your skills to the next level, Power is the only way to go!

*Do not upload your selfies while operating BrmHndl-Classic, Retro or Power. Distraction while operating may lead to damage to property, personal injury or unsatisfactory cleaning results.

Prices to be announced.

20. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Its cool to hear you have been able to find a use for them. In the past i have used my tripod with the legs extended and closed for the same results, using self timer or IR remote to set it off. To that end selfie sticks are replicating an ability I have had access to for years, but if people don't have access to that, or if they find using the sticks easier, i have nothing against them :)