1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Would you ever consider buying a converter lens?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Take part and vote http://apmag.co/4zFV6k on this week's poll - Would you ever consider buying a converter lens?

[​IMG]

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I've already got some so the answer is yes...;)

3. MartyG

MartyG Well-Known Member

4. art

art Well-Known Member

Probably never again.

I once bought a wide-angle converter for a video camera and was very disappointed with the poor quality results.

5. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've a few - Canon's Life Size Converter for the 50mm F2. 8 Compact Macro. A couple of teleconverters. And both wide and tele push-on converters for a Holga lens. And whatever the standard lens is for my MPP is convertible by removing the front cells to leave a long focus lens.

Not a fan of front-of-lens converters in general, though.

6. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Oops, I read the poll as teleconverters not the front end ones...:eek:

I do have a couple of those too. One is a Jessops version that can either be a wide converter or a close up lens and in either guise it's a rather poor. The other is a semi-fisheye video converter that I've had for years. That one actually does quite a reasonable job provided I use it purely as a circular fisheye. If I use it as a wide converter the results are ghastly...:D

7. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I've used both front and rear types, as occassion demands. Sometimes, they're the only fix in an awkward situation. Choose carefully, though. There are some truly awful specimens of both types out there, though there are also some very good ones. You won't know which is which until you take some pictures with them...

[​IMG]

8. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Only if I could get one that converts Canon lenses to Nikon.

9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I don't have any but would consider. The 21mm-equivalent converter for the GR seems to be an excellent piece of kit for example.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

If we mean front fitting converters, I have no need of them as I have a 14-24 and I am not particularly interested in macro.

On the other hand I do have a 1.7x teleconverter and I use it quite a lot, mainly because my 300 is an old design and slow to focus. Were I to buy a more recent 300 I probably wouldn't make much use of the converter.

11. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I couldn't find exactly the right option, so I voted "Yes, if quality was good enough". I think the option that would best describe my position would have been "Yes, if they let me do something I couldn't easily do otherwise, at reasonable quality".

I have a couple of reasonably high quality ones - a Marumi DHG achromat +3 dioptre close up converter I use for "macro" work with my Fuji bridge camera, and a Fuji x 0.7 wide converter I use with my Fuji compact.

12. deltablue

deltablue Well-Known Member

I have a Marumi close up lens, don't use it muchbut when do find it very good

13. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Hi
    There is a converter for that, its called Ebay, you sell your Canon lenses and use the dosh to buy yourself Nikopn ones.

14. Hamski

Hamski Well-Known Member

Ive never used them and am yet to be convince they are of any use, what I have tho are close up filters that respectively enlarge close ups +1,+2,+4 and +10 factor. I swear by them for things like insect photography.