1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Would you buy a brand new film camera?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, May 18, 2017.

1. Liam Clifford

Liam Clifford Active Member

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I have a 35 mm and a MF so no pressing need for another. Toying with the idea of buying a scanner and getting the dev tank out but seems perverse given investment in Canon digital 35 mm kit and Fuji CSC.

3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I like cameras. I've got a variety of film cameras in different formats and if something that I considered to be worth having came along then I wouldn't hesitate to buy a brand new film camera.

Cheers, Jeff

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

The poll needed a 'Maybe. Depends...' option.

The last new 35mm camera I bought was last year. It was a plastic pinhole-camera kit, a present for a friend who was retiring.

He is a bit of a hard-core film person - Pentax LX as main machine and a Kiev 80. He does have a digital camera - a Canon Powershot A1100, that he uses for snapshots - but still prefers film. He enjoyed his retirement present. Or so he said... :cool:

5. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Still have 35mm and MF film cameras and a darkroom, none have been used for over 10 years and I doubt they ever will be but I like to hang on to them just in case! So no, I wouldn't be interested in buying a film camera.

6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Would like to buy a medium format rangefinder that's not too expensive.... Say half the price of the one Fuji released a couple of years ago (G 670 or something like that)

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  7. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

No, I don't think I would if I am honest.

8. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I was bought up on film mainly black and white, with the occasinal colour film it was a sorry day when I got rid of it all......now I could never go back to it. No I would not be interested in a film camera. I still have a film camera that I inherited but I would never dream of using it....

9. Paul Manuell

Paul Manuell Member

Yes, most definitely. A Pentax 67III with soft mirror action and a tripod mount for portrait orientation would be my dream camera.

10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I used film cameras for 60 years. I would not want to buy another. However there are still excellent examples of second hand iconic makes out there at bargain prices, so I do not see that there would be much of a market for a new one.

11. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Nope. Why would I?

12. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have at least seven (unless one has failed recently) including MF film cameras and if ./ when the urge to use film strikes I use one of those

13. B10nyx

B10nyx New Member

Heck Yeah, my secondhand EOS 1n is built and sounds like a tank!

14. exspmr

exspmr In the Stop Bath

Is there any pattern to when you choose to use film?

15. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I don't 'do' digital.............so, should I need a 'new' or even a new 35mm camera then I'd be interested.

Lynn

16. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Not really. I already have several dozen, in formats from sub-miniature to 12x15 inch. There's nothing on the market today that's better than the best of them, and some of them, such as my Leica MP (2003) and Alpa 12 (1998) are still on the market, unchanged since I got them, so I don't have much incentive. And, for that matter, some of the old, ratty ones are still more fun than the vast majority of lardy DSLRs available today.

Then again, I just bought a new battery and charger for my Minox 8111 and for the price of a few batteries brought a Lumix DMC-FZ8 and some sort of little Canon digi back to life: the batteries and (where necessary) chargers are worth about the same as the cameras in all cases. And my Nikon D70 suddenly decided to start working again. Then there's a Nikon D1 that might or might not work: I don't feel like spending the necessary money on a battery and charger just to find out.

It's all for fun, and the biggest problem is having too many cameras. Even if I "needed" a new film Leica, I'd probably just buy a used one.

Cheers,

R.

17. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I can't really see myself buying another film camera let alone a new one. Digital allows me to do what I want to do the way I want to do it at my convenience and without any inconveniently unpleasant chemicals and faff...:)

18. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Nigel,

Um... I use conveniently pleasant chemicals, whenever I want to. As for "faff", good grief, you can use a computer and say that with a straight face?

When it comes to black and white prints, the difference between film and digital is akin to the difference between fresh-ground coffee and instant coffee. Or at best, fresh pineapple and canned pineapple.

Cheers,

R.

19. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Another poll with missing options !

I'm well covered with 35mm , Rangefinders , P+S , SLR's , manual focus and auto focus .
    My main 35mm SLR's are the Minolta Dynax 7 & 9 , being an A mount shooter .
    Even in the non existant chance Sony brought out a 35mm film A mount camera , there's nothing they could add that I don't have with the (Minolta) gear I have .

The choice available for used medium format is fantastic , at great prices .
    I'm fully catered for with 6x6 and 6x4.5 SLR's and a good selection of TLR's .

Anything new in medium format film , that catches my eye , would likewise cost an astronomical amount .
    Likewise , where would the market be - given the quality and specification of used gear on the market ?

Back to the point , and the missing option on the poll .

Why no option for large format cameras ?

My NEXT NEW FILM CAMERA will be a large format camera .
    They are made new , to order , with a waiting time of about 6 weeks .
    And their BRITISH MADE !
    https://intrepidcamera.co.uk/products/intrepid-camera

A 5x4 field camera , choice of bellows colour .
    An upgrade to my Speed Graphic and Crown Graphic , with full movements at the front and a rotating back , all for just £250 !

Large format photography , alive and well , just the same as 35mm and 120 , don't forget us A.P !

20. pilliwinks

pilliwinks Well-Known Member

As above. None of the answers are suitable - I don't intend to buy a new 35mm camera, either manual or autofocus; I don't intend to buy more new medium format cameras; I do buy second hand but am prepared to buy new if the camera is one I want; and I'm not in the least digital (unless you count the camera phone I think I have in my £10 mobile). I would seriously consider an Intrepid 10x8 when they become available.

The main thrust of the question seemed to be really "are you sufficently interested in film to actually use it?" I am and I do.

(It's a 5x4 camera in my avatar and a focusing cloth over my right shoulder.)

Roger Hicks likes this.