1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Will you shop at your local Jessops?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Richard Sibley, Apr 9, 2013.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Do they stock Alpas? I thought that was only Fotocare in NY. But I've not been to B&H for ages.

Cheers,

R.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Neither have I Roger, must four or five years since I was there.

3. George W Johnson

George W Johnson Well-Known Member

My old man, when he was shooting in the 1980's, was always in and out of Jessops but when I picked up a camera I relied more on the online stores.

The only bricks'n'mortar camera shop I do find good are Park Camera's, my last three lenses and two cameras bought from them at their store near Battlebridge, they were knowledgeable very helpful and pretty reasonable prices.

I'll be honest I probably wouldn't use Jessops unless I can be assured they have knowledgeable staff and reasonable prices. I'm all in favour of keeping high streets stores going, employing people is always a good thing but at the end of the day I need to watch my pennies as much as the next person.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Seems to a bit of point scoring going on here. I claim maximum points for never having gone to New York, or even America. If I believed in God I could easily say that the USA is almost the most godforsaken land on earth. I say almost because most of the middle east is far worse.
    As for Jessops, I will use them if it suits me. I can't see me making a major purchase there unless they have another pre-failure fire sale.

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

In this week's magazine, inside back cover, their advert claims that the new Nikon Coolpix is made by Pentax !

6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Ah, Martin, I was wondering who bought one of those Porsche designed Samsung
    cameras ;).

Cheers,

Jack

7. Done_rundleCams

As for "shopping at Jessops", I've done that several times .... never purchased anything :eek: I never purchased because, if they had what I was looking for, I couldn't find it and none of their sales people could find it or kept sending me back to the same section :confused:. So, all my purchases, photographic wise, were made a Jacobs or Harrods (photo dept).

Plus, it's a bit of a journey .... YVR to LHR .. tube to Leicester Square and change and to Tottenham Court Rd and a few minutes walk .... well, I guess it's not that much of a journey ;)

Cheers,

Jack

8. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

Shopped at Jessops Inverness last Wednesday , the lady assistant was both helpful and good-looking which is always a bonus .[​IMG]

9. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

America: godforsaken? I can trump that. I reckon, along with Augusta National, that Yosemite is pretty close to heaven on earth. I've stood in St Ansel's tripod-prints. :) [God also made the Grand Canyon without any help from man and just to make a point stuck it near the Hoover Dam. ;)]

Not been to Augusta National. Probably wouldn't let me in anyway. Jacket is the wrong colour :eek: and from what they tell me I couldn't afford the ticket price these days. :( How many points is that; are we playing US or UK Stableford?

10. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

As I said in another thread, the new Jessops is very like the old one, very little has changed, from the general layout of the store to the poor selection of goodies and the prices they are asking for them. I tend to walk straight past nowadays, as I dislike being the only prospective customer in the store!

Things will not change until they revert to doing part exchange and used goods, as in days or old. They also seem to have trouble getting regular sizes of printing paper, apart from A4.

I ask again, "Do Dragons make poor investments?"

11. Roger Hicks

It's OK. I used to live about 300 miles from Yosemite, and sooner or later it becomes overly familiar: there's a limit to how much faux wilderness I can put up with. Personally I much prefer Malta and thousands of years of history.

Cheers,

R.

12. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hi Rog!

Not made it to Malta but am told it's impressive. They do old cars & buses in Cal, too. :) The old saying goes that if you wanted to give the world an enema, you'd stick it in Los Angeles but I rather like Cal despite all that.

Regards,
    Oly

13. Roger Hicks

It's stunning. Look out for cheap, last-minute packages. You'll end up in miserable touristy resorts but hire a car (or just get a bus) and you'll see that their claim of "a continent in miniature" is fully justified. The old Maltese bus system has recently been overhauled: much less fun, but no more square wheels either. Take a look at http://www.rogerandfrances.com/subscription/pst malta.html -- quite old now, but once you're outside the tourist hot-spots Malta changes less than seems reasonable.

Cheers,

R.

14. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The new Jessops is nearer to Oxford Circus Jack, it is about 700 meters closer to you than the old one!

15. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Not point scoring, merely demonstrating that decent camera stores are few and far between. I don't know of any one store in London that I would call comprehensively stocked and only a few in the entire country. I do however know that B&H hold considerable stocks. I know of only one other store in the USA, outside of New York city, that I would call comprehensive. I don't know about Canada.

Lest anyone should come back and tell me that they know of London stores that hold wide stocks, it is my experience that they do so for one camera brand only. Finding storage solutions regularly requires internet shopping.

16. Done_rundleCams

Wooooo Hoooooo .... thanks Geoff :) I knew that email to Jessops would work :D

Cheers,

Jack

17. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

If you have bought online and been supplied non-UK sourced stock you cannot really expect Jessops, or any other retailer to match 25% off, they would be selling at a loss. Indeed it makes you hypocritical, it is the very reason that photographic retailers in this country have been closing down.

The last camera I bought was from Currys, there is a nearby Jessops. The latter were more expensive, Currys were selling with a two year warranty and threw in a fairly expensive Sandisk memory card as an incentive.

Will I shop at Jessops? Not that likely as I am not really in the market for anything at present. Certainly the new set-up should be more streamlined, the shops are indeed more attractive and interactive, but this process had started pre-dragon. They do need to set their pricing more attractively on many items though.

18. EOS_SNAPPER

EOS_SNAPPER Well-Known Member

They have already matched their prices with Wex and Park Cameras, what more do you want!!! BLOOD ?
    I am currently in the market for a Canon EOS 5d mark III and did the web search and found Wex are selling for £2975 with a 24 – 105 L and a free Canon battery grip, Lightroom and Elements 11 included.
    Guess what, my local (Aberdeen) Jessops matched the deal on the spot.

19. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It would help:)

Selecting a part quote so it is out of context does not help though.

Many of their prices are simply not competitive, even with Currys who are often nearby.

20. EOS_SNAPPER

EOS_SNAPPER Well-Known Member

No such luck up here, John Lewis is the only other store and they have bugger all in the way of accessories or in-store printing. FFordes are the major shop north of the border and they are a good 100 miles away.:( Truth be told, I often wait until we visit my wife's family in South Wales and then I will call in at Camarthen Cameras (http://www.carmarthencameras.co.uk/) where I always get first class service and free advice. Prices are a little high but they have good stocks and try to match competitors.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013