1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Will you shop at your local Jessops?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Richard Sibley, Apr 9, 2013.

1. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Will I shop at my local Jessops?

Wrong question!

Will I have a local Jessops to shop at might be a more relevant question. The answer will probably be the same though. Almost certainly not because, when we had one it never had anything I was interested in. I think I will continue to patronise SRS on those occasions when I do want something.

2. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Apparently my nearest local store is now Basingstoke. Not sure if the "one new store opening per day" is holding up in April, but there are currently 13 stores showing on the website

3. J H Foto

J H Foto Well-Known Member

We did have a Jessops in Lichfield but I only ever looked in their window, as I could not afford the inflated prices.....

4. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Well-Known Member

My local one is now in Oxford Street, but it's only about 150 metres from the Camera World in Wells Street, so I'd probably be more likely to go there instead!

5. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

It looks like there's a new Jessops preparing to Open in Exeter, in a different location to the old one (new one in the middle of the high street - looks a bit smaller). I'll probably go in and have a look, but whether I'll actually shop there will depend on customer service and stock. Previously, the other camera shops in town (Devon Camera Centre and LCE) were way better for both.

6. IvorETower

Exeter - seems a little odd. I would have thought that they would focus on opening where there were no competing stores to esnure that they get 100% of possible trade - hence my nearest store now being Basingstoke where there do not appear to be any other photographic shops.

7. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Well, when I was in town last week I saw a big shiny new Jessops sign over a small shopfront in the middle of the high street that had previously been empty. About 1/4 mile from the site of the old Jessops.

Mine not to question the business wisdom of Peter Jones. :)

8. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

I live on Skye , so your attitude to ' shopping ' changes when you choose to live in such an out of the way place as this beautiful island .
    A trip to Inverness takes me about two and a half hours one way , with a choice of two routes , both incredibly scenic , so the journey is never a chore .

When looking to purchase my first digital slr , I scoured the internet for the best prices , and guess what ? -Jessops Online were the cheapest , but they didn't have it in stock due to the huge demand , so I phoned the shop in Inverness and they said they could get one for me from their Belfast branch .

I asked them if I could have it at the online price which was £90+ cheaper than their shop price , and they agreed .
    The shop assistants were just brilliant with helping me choose another lens and a Canon Printer , I cannot praise them highly enough .

When they closed I was very sad to see the only camera shop in Inverness disappear , but they've risen like the Phoenix again to appear in an even better location on the High Street , and when I went in there recently to enquire about getting some prints done and whether they gave Photography lessons , the young man who dealt with me was the epitome of politeness and professionalism , I was very impressed .

Yes is the answer to whether I would shop at Jessops Inverness , they are just brilliant in my opinion !!

9. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

My local independent camera store has told my today that he is closing down and moving to the Isle of Mull to run photographic workshops.

So that pretty much means no camera shops in S.E.London but Jessops have just re-opened in Bromley, the prices are still on the high side but the store looks clean and bright with plenty of cameras on display and able to try, unlike to last time I was in the Market square store.

I wanted an item today and jessops had it in stock so was happy to buy from them.

10. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

It's good to hear that Jessops have reopened in Inverness but I wonder why they haven't in Dundee?? At one time they had two shops in the city. Our nearest independent shop is now JRS in Perth; the only other choice is Currys/PCWorld or Tesco/Asda.

11. Skyehammer

Skyehammer Well-Known Member

I was going to say that you could go to Inverness from Dundee as you'd be closer than Skye , but I've just seen that it's 137.6 miles for you to travel , though time wise it's about the same.
    Is there a train line from Dundee to Inverness ?

I'm going to Inverness on Thursday to see The Magic Numbers [ no cameras allowed ! ] , so I might pop into Jessops for a look around on Friday .

12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

How do you define a "good" camera store, though? I'd probably go to Paris (200 miles) or London (500 miles) if I actually wanted to get my hands on kit to try it. Or, alternatively, to a photo show like the late, lamented Focus.

Cheers,

R.

13. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Good stock of cameras/lenses across all the camera makes. Good stock of second-hand cameras/lenses including older stuff. Willing, helpful and knowledgeable salespeople. Having an interesting website is an added bonus.

Such places did exist but if there's any left I don't know - certainly none around my way.

I can dream. :)

14. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Well, yes. Or if not ALL, then at least most. I mean, not everyone is going to stock Alpa, Linhof, Walker... Or have a good second-hand department as well.

Overall, I can't help feeling that to get a really good cross-section I'd need to go to at least two or three camera stores in or near London, Paris, etc. Even my favourite big camera shop, Foto Skoda in Prague, doesn't stock everything (though it has a superb second-hand department).

Cheers,

R.

15. EOS_SNAPPER

EOS_SNAPPER Well-Known Member

Aberdeen shop is open and it's only an hour away. Very competitive to WEX, Park Cameras etc.

16. EOS_SNAPPER

EOS_SNAPPER Well-Known Member

What a wakeup call when Jessops initially closed it's doors.
    How we took it for granted they would always be there to go and try cameras and lenses before heading home to order on-line where we could always find them a few quid cheaper (but never seem interested when something goes wrong).
    With helpful and enthusiastic staff always keen to offer advice and now with very competitive prices I can’t understand why folk need go online for such an expensive outlay.
    I for one will be going to Jessops for my next camera or lens.
    Take a bow Peter Jones

17. kno

kno Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I handled cameras in Jessops Manchester but bought online because it was cheaper online. I gave a Jessops 'last refusal' on the prices but the staff didn't really want to engage, they just shrugged their shoulders when I showed them the online price. I've subsequently bought bits and bobs online - books, filters etc - its sad. I want to handle goods first and I want to support the high street. But not as much I want to save 25% on the cost. Which makes me hypercritical, I know.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  18. IvorETower

Mid-September, and the "store finder" lists "only" 28 stores; my nearest is still Basingstoke (and I have been there and purchased; 20 minute train journey each way).

Would it be possible for AP to approach Peter Jones and ask him for a progress report? How many more new stores are planned in the next 12 months, how is trade compared to forecasts/business plan etc? Will be interesting to see what pre-Christmas and New Year sales promotions run.........

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You can fly to New York (JFK) and take the Sky Train to Jamaica Station where you change to the LIRR for a train to Penn station then it is a ten minute walk to B&H which store might just meet your requirements.

20. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member