1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Which format do you use most of the time?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Guitarist

Guitarist Well-Known Member

JPEG, because I haven't quite got my head round RAW yet. Come to think of it, I haven't got my head round my lovely Nikon D90 yet, but if I set it to the green pictogram, it works wonderfully well on its own! I WILL get into it all soon!

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I tend to shoot jpg mostly these days. If I'm using my DSLR on a tripod with cable release and all the effort, or if I know I will have to heavily manipulate the image to the desired end product then I shoot raw, but for casual use the immediacy of jpg can't be knocked. Plus I have never really been 100% happy with eithy Silkypix or Adobe for getting the best out of my raw files (K100D).

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Do Pentax do a RAW convertor? It's been a while since I've been happy to use a 3rd party RAW convertor on my Canon files for similar reasons....partly because I don't like the interface and partly because I don't think the results measure up.

Just thinking....I've shot something like 15,000 JPEGs on my DSLR in the last couple of months but maybe only 1500 or so RAWs. I still use RAW "most of the time" though;) I like my RAW files so raw they're not even rotated:cool:

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Pentax bundle Silkypix with the camera. It's alright but time consuming. Lightroom is best but too dear.

5. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

How do you get the time to look at 15,000 JPEGs?

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I don't.....they go on a site folk can enter their race number or name in after OCR software has catalogued the pics. Chances are they don't all get looked at.

7. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Mostly jpeg, raw occasionally, but I have used Medium/Small Raw when I didn't need the large file size.

8. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I always shoot raw for myself. When covering eg sports day for the school I shoot large fine JPEGs. Shot 484 pics last sports day, and 100 at a performing arts evening. No way was I going to slog through those in DPP.

OTOH I could have done them in RSE which was fast, with a brilliant interface. May God Damn Adobe to eternal torment for eating Pixmantek :mad:.
    Dave

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I liked RSE so much I stumped up for RSP. In turn, that gave me Lightroom after the Adobe takeover - and on balance, I prefer it to RawShooter. No, it's not as quick, but it is a lot more powerful, and works well for most of my stuff, and I do use it in much the same way as RSE/P.

10. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I shoot entirely in rAw (or is it RaW? :p) but only because I'm too lazy and not a good enough photographer to shoot JPEGs.

11. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

If you liked it so much why didn't you pay for the 'paid for' version? If you had done so then you would have been given the first version of Lightroom when those evil people at Adobe took away your options of upgrading your freeby. :rolleyes: Lightroom does all that RSE did and so much more.:cool:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  12. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

I almost always shoot both simultaneously because I'm a coward who hopes to be lazy.

And I always write 'raw' just as I always use 'ppi' when I don't mean 'dpi', and...[list of anally retentive issues continues]

PS. Yes, you guessed it - that's 300ppi too! :D

13. pilliwinks

pilliwinks Well-Known Member

I always use Fine Image Large Megapixels - F.I.L.M. for short. Can I have a box to check for this please?

14. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Hang on a minute, your the editor and it said RAW on the cover of AP. Was you out voted in the office? :D

I have just started using raw more because my lastest camera can write it as fast as jpgs. The only time jpgs now seems useful is to get 7 frames in the buffer at 3fps. Which to be honest I've not found useful yet.

Using the raw offers me the chance to correct CA etc.

15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I didn't stump up for RSP because 1) I was a cheapskate (And short of readdies), and 2) I dithered too much. By the time I decided that I would stump up it was too late.

I do remember downloading a trial of Lightroom but found it not really satisfying. I do all my conversions in DPP (I told you I was a cheapskate!).

I used beta versions of Capture 1 and liked it, but couldn't afford the "real thing"

I've also tried Rawtherapee but had to uninstall it when I got C++ Library errors.

If I want to do any more serious editing I use Picture Window Pro 5

Dave

16. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

When I first saw the title to this thread, and before I'd read Damien's note, I expected to be voting on whether I used :-

Full Frame . . . . . . . . (yes)
    APS-H 1.3x crop . . . . (yes)
    APS-C 1.5x crop . . . .
    APS-C 1.6x crop . . . . (yes)

or even
    4/3 2 2x crop . . . . . .

How wrong I was...

17. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

Until recently it was jpeg but I started raw+ in May.Just as well it was raw+ since after losing all my pics last week,now recovered,the raw files have still not been found depite extensive searching.

So I voted raw+.

18. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

All my digital cameras are capable of shooting in raw format - It's been one of my main requirements since I started getting seriously into digital photography. My Pentax K20D is in raw+JPEG mode, but I seldom do much with the .jpgs, other than a quick look when first uploading to the computer. The 3 Fujis can only do raw xor .jpg, and are always set to raw, except when a flat battery has caused an intentional full reset.

I started using raw when I first found the UFraw plugin for GIMP, about a year after I first got my Fuji S9500. I now mainly use Bibble for the K20D conversions, and RawTherapee for the Fujis, except when I want very detailed editing, when I still use UFraw / GIMP.

19. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I've found that a very good combination and makes a better job of my Sony a900 raw files than CS3/ACR.

20. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

RAW with Capitals on the cover is a graphic descision. May I please refer you to 'art ed'.
    :eek: