1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Which format do you use most of the time?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

The great thing about the sliced, bagged bread you buy from the supermarket is that you don’t have to make it yourself and it stays mould-free for a week. When you run out it’s a hop and a skip to get some more, the slices tend to marry up nicely for sandwiches and the regularity of shape and consistency is a godsend when soldiers are required for a soft boiled egg.

The bad things about supermarket bread we don’t have room to go into, but one is that it tends not to taste quite as good as perhaps it could. Making your own bread, you can alter the ingredients according to the flavour you require. You could use rye, seeds, mix in some olives, onion or sun-dried tomatoes. You might use live yoghurt, virgin pressed olive oil or just simply high-quality flour and some love. You choose what goes in and what will come out, and with practice the result will be streets ahead of what you can buy.

Suggesting that the files that come straight from your camera are like supermarket bread would be a bit unkind to JPEGs, but it’s certainly true that the only way to really control what is in your image files is to set your camera to shoot in raw.

Take part in our poll, Which format do you use most of the time? by heading to the homepage.

Thanks all

Damien

[​IMG]

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I almost always shoot in RAW. The only exceptions tend to be occasions where I may end up shooting a lot of images of the same subject and/or I want the maximum speed and burst capacity when in continuous drive.

PS

Breadwise I prefer a nice unsliced loaf...;)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

I've always shot RAW exclusively ever since my first DSLR a decade ago. I might give a bash to shooting RAW + fine B&W Jpeg though; the Jpeg serving merely to give an idea of whether the RAW might be better converted to monochrome without the faff of doing it to see.

4. OneTen

OneTen 'Two Breakfasts'

I nearly always shoot raw. The only exception is when taking snapshots or photos at work when I use an old Fuji bridge camera and shoot jpegs.

5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I always use raw.

Please note is not an acronym and therefore shouldn't be capitalised. :)

6. zx9

zx9 Well-Known Member

I almost always shoot in RAW, it takes just as long to delete .jpg shots :) Unless as as El_Sid says
    Even then I rarely fill the buffer, preferring a short high speed burst to outright machine gunning, the exception been if something is say, going badly wrong on a corner and I have followed the action in the view finder. Sometimes I have to wait a few seconds before I can review the sequence.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Similarly, I shoot RAWunless shooting sports, when I switch to JPEG for continuous shooting.

8. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Always raw (thanks Roger, I wondered why you get so fussed:D) except when I'm using my pocket compact which doesn't give an option.

9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I always shoot both, because:

1. I've got a bunch of fast 32GB cards. :cool:

2. The Sony raw reader is slow, so I find it much faster to do a preliminary review of the jpegs as a slide show.

10. Roger_Provins

I said to my wife when I posted that comment that someone would make that sort of reply. We didn't have to wait long ... thanks for fulfilling my prediction and the good laugh :)

11. Norman

Norman Well-Known Member

I think you're flogging a dead horse here Roger. :rolleyes:

Always RAW for me too.

12. Roger_Provins

If you don't mind appearing uneducated that's fine :)

13. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

You do know we're going to WIN don't you...:D

14. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Hmmm...

As raw is just a shortened version of raw data, and in this case, image data, perhaps we should call it Raw Image Data, or RID. That way, we could get RID of the RAW. :rolleyes:

15. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

By all accounts it depends on the quality of the JPG engine supplied with your camera. Mine supplies me with excellent 5/6MB JPGs so I record both and use the JPG for straightforward shots and the RAW when complicated processing is needed

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My pleasure. :cool:

17. DeeJay

DeeJay Well-Known Member

RAW all the way for me, it seems that whilst I am still learning it gives me the most flexibility too. A couple of times I have pulled dodgy exposures back from the brink with a raw file. Not sure I could do that as well or easily as a beginner with a JPEG file.

18. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I mostly use RAW;)

[​IMG]

19. Roger_Provins

I suppose one has to forgive foreigners for mistakes in English - but there's no excuse for native speakers - even Scots. :)

20. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

London isn't an acronym either ;)

I always shoot "raw" ... CR2 with DSLR & Y800 (raw video) with my astro cameras.