1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - Which focus mode do you mostly use?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Aug 9, 2016.

1. CanonGary

CanonGary Member

AI Servo with Back button focus.

Although I have just read that my flash will only use infra-red light for focusing with one shot or AI-Focus so I may change when using a flash.

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

The way you put that suggests that when the maximum aperture of a fitted lens is below f5.6 AF just stops. Depending on how Nikon have set up their AF this needn't be the case. Assuming that the software doesn't simply disable AF beyond f5.6, attaching an f8 lens would simply reduce the speed of the AF system in obtaining focus. Given a really bright subject f11 might still allow AF operation.
    Obviously, I don't know how Nikon have configured their software for the various models but I would suggest that f5.6 represents the lens maximum aperture below which AF performance becomes unacceptable. Clearly Nikon could have programmed a hard cut off and the foregoing doesn't apply. What I can say with some certainty is that the amount of light reaching the AF module is important and, even at f2.8, a D3 may struggle to focus in low light situations. I don't have a lens combination that will allow me to test whether the D3 can still focus below f5.6 or I would try it.

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

You seem to have missed the irony. I also stated that the F90 worked at F8.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

As has been said many times, irony doesn't always come over on the screen.

Anyway, I also took the opportunity, for the benefit of the less informed, to comment on a common misunderstanding.

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

iirc it was Jonathan Miller who suggested we needed a special font (called Ironic?) for written irony.

And we do have a font already for bad jokes - Comic Sans. ;)

GeoffR likes this.