1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - When was the last time you shot on transparency film?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Oct 27, 2015.

1. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

On the 1st August 2007. Until then 90% of my output was slides and the other 10% mono - usually TriX. I have no colour negatives anywhere in the house.

It must have been about then that I decided that digital was OK. ;)

For some time after that I had slides made from digital files but, looking back, they were never excellent.

MickLL

2. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

1997 - shortly before I got my first digicam

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Thing about Velvia was that it was pretty much the only film that gave good separation of greens - with Kodachrome, you got one amorphous mass. Kodachrome 25's reds were spectacular - something generations of National Geographic photographers used to good effect, often by including themselves or others wearing their red NG coats. Velvia also had by far the widest density range when projected (which made it a bugger to scan with a low-end scanner) as a result of it's low dynamic range - Velvia forced me to love shadows and changed my way of shooting.

4. Richard Sibley

Richard Sibley AP Deputy Editor

There's the next poll question!
    Do you think your equipment has directly influenced the way you take photos?

5. ZenithE

ZenithE Active Member

I last shot on transparency film in August 2006 at the Manx International Rally.

6. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

I organised an 'Autumn Colours and Fungi' trip for members of Brentwood Photographic Club two weeks ago and only 7 members turned up but one brought his Dad a Wildlife Photographer from Chesterfield and I used my 2002 Hasselblad loaded with 07/2003 dated Fuji VELVIA 50 I rated at 32 ASA -- I got the results a few days ago and am pleased -- for the close-ups i used a small extension tube + two small Vivitar flashes, one with a slave cell.
    [​IMG]Thorndon 09 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    [​IMG]Thorndon 11 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Well, they look pretty good to me, Pete!

I've only ever shot two rolls of trannie - one by accident, lent a camera with a film in, and one roll of Kodachrome 64 in its last year.

Adrian

8. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

What -- you never used Ferraniacolor in the early 1960's and processed it yourself? !!!

9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

It would have been an impressive feat if I had, given that I wasn't born until 1971!

Adrian

10. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Aaahhhrrrr, ye young whippersnapper.

:D

11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Thinking back, I remember once using a roll of Agfa Dia-Direct. Monochrome slide-film with the amazing speed of, iirc, 16ASA!

At least you didn't get odd colour casts with it!

12. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I processed only a couple of ferraniacolor films but dozens of extachrome 120 ones. Far easier than black and white as you had to follow the instructions exactly.

13. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

As I mentioned in another thread, I've just started looking at some old slides with a projector i've just got from E bay. Amongst the ones that my dad had taken I have found some that I took in 1979. I think that must have been the one and only time I used it.