1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - When was the last time you shot on transparency film?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Take part and vote on our poll - When was the last time you shot on transparency film?

[​IMG]

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I can understand why it was used for professional work destined for print as it was by far the preferred medium by designers and for print process work.
    But it was probably the most inconvenient medium for amateurs, how ever brilliant the results.
    I probably never used it for amateur photography after the 70's and went exclusively colour negative and black and white.

3. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

^^^^WHS^^^^^^

Exactly my position - it is bad enough when modern images get buried in he computer but slides were ten times worse for getting one outing and never looked at again. I think I dropped it in the '60s

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I think I shot some on a holiday about 5 years back but I could be wrong...:rolleyes:

5. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

I haven't shot 35mm transparencies since the 'eighties but I do haul out the Hasselblad and do some 6x6 on occassion...

[​IMG]

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I never got round to trying slide film. Probably never will now.

7. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I haven't shot on colour transparency yet, but I have hopes for when the reincarnated Ferrania get things sorted out and can send me my Kickstarter reward...

A "Not yet, but hope to soon" option in the poll would've expressed my position better than "Never".

8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

I tried a frame back in February but the camera locked up. I wrongly assumed it was lack of battery power. It was not. It was lack of use of the camera body. I wasted another frame or two getting it going but then haven't done any more, I think, but memory could be defective on that.

9. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Just over a year. I used to shoot the vast majority of my stuff on transparency film - all except the B&W (and even some of that was the gorgeous Scala) or the odd roll of colour print film. Colours were almost always vastly superior with slide film (I did like a few Kodak and Fuji neg films, though) and it was also generally a lot sharper. I just loved Velvia - proper shadows (very low DR) and colours that some thought garish but I personally thought well represented my vision. Not with an 85A, though, as so many tried...
    My main usage of it died out when I got a DSLR, with the rest going when I got a full frame DSLR. I miss it, though, especially in larger sizes.

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Ah, what year did they kill Kodachrome? :(

11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Whenever it was they axed the 25...

12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Several years: ever since I got a decent full-frame digital camera. Slides gave me a cheap, quick way to get good-quality images for repro, and colour neg was a lot of hassle. For a while I scanned color neg, but as soon as I could shoot adequate quality directly and digitally, slide was less attractive. My "fine art" colour has essentially been jokey, and adequately served by digi.

Of course for really serious photography I still use B+W film. Digi is good when you're shooting colour and quality isn't that important. It helps, though, being married to a brilliant printer who is also one of the world's top hand colourists. She wrote the instructions for the Colorstar and was a brilliant colour printer, but understandably decided there were better ways to spend her time in the darkroom -- mostly with Ilford Art 300.

Cheers,

R.

13. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

27th May 2013. A 36 exposure roll of Kodak Elite Chrome Extra Colour 100 ISO, run through a Canon EOS 100. About two thirds of the 36 came out: the shutter was knackered, I binned the camera and was then lucky enough to get two that worked perfectly.

The next time won't be long as I have an eight pack of Agfa Precisa 100 to use by next October. Apparantly it's not Agfa, though, but Fuji. I understand Agfa slide film can still be bought, but it's packaged as being by Rollei......

14. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

AGFA Precisa 100 is all I ever use........(OK, one camera has B&W loaded).

Lynn

15. PentaxManiac

IIRC, 2008. But by then there was only 64 ISO left, which was never fast enough for my purposes - much preferred the 200 version which they withdrew about a year before.

16. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Dunno but I think there's something in the rules that this needs posted now....

[video=youtube_share;wZpaNJqF4po]https://youtu.be/wZpaNJqF4po[/video]

;)

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago, 35mm Fuji Provia 100. I've still not tried transparency film in medium or large format - Portra or Pro160 seem to be my staples. Funnily enough it's about a year and a half since I last shot B&W; I've just stopped seeing in mono. :(

18. Ilovemycam

Ilovemycam In the Stop Bath

1990's

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Have to say I absolutely loathed the 200. Slight hint of cloud, and everything went magenta. Ghastly stuff. Was never over keen on 64, but I loved 25, which I always rated at 32.

20. PentaxManiac

Ah yes, the old "slight underexposure of slide film gives great saturation" trick. Interestingly I've heard it said that Velvia was (is?) in reality 40 ASA/ISO but DX-coded at 50 to give similar vibrancy/garishness (delete to taste).