1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - When was the last time you cleaned your digital...

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

....camera sensor?

Vote on this week's poll - When was the last time you cleaned your digital camera sensor?
    apmag.co/HhtsZW

[​IMG]

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

No times on my current ones!
    Lots of times on my old Nikon D50
    I stick to primes when I can. This does seem to help. Zooming did seem to aggravate the problem of dust on my old camera.

Kate

3. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

I've never cleaned the sensor.

Only ever had a problem with dirt on the sensor once so far, it was on my D300 when it was about 5 years old; I sent it to Nikon for a service and clean.

4. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

The last camera I owned without vibrate sensor dust farewell systems* was a D80 which I rocket blew every so often. Since then I have used the blower so infrequently I cannot recall where I left it...

*translate to whatever your chosen brand calls it.

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

bit of a dust gatherer then:p
    I've been lucky and have only ever had to blow a bit of dust/hairs off the sensor a couple of times in ten years of inter-changeable lens photography

6. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

My Pentax DSLRs have a vibrating sensor anti dust system, which seems very effective. I've never seen any signs of dust on my photos, despite occasionally changing lenses outdoors, and usually shooting at f/8 - f/16.

My old Fuji S3 Pro did get dust, and needed a blow with the Rocket every few months, and even that didn't always sort it, but I became quite handy with the spot heal tool! :)

Since the poll options don't seem to allow for having more than one camera, I chose "Never", since that applies to the camera I use most.

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have been using DLSRs for getting on for 10 years, first Olympus (various), and now supplemented by a Canon 6D and have never had to do a sensor clean on any of them.

8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

A few puffs from the rocket blower whenever there is visible dust on the sensor.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Sorry, I can't vote there isn't an appropriate answer. I clean my sensors when they needs it.

10. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

In most cases once I'm home after a shoot that has involved changing lenses I'll give the sensor and mirror a preventive blast of air from the rocket blower. I do the same with the rear element of any of the lenses I've used, and also blast the lens rear cap. I then clean the lens front element, usually with the rocket and sometimes a lens brush. Then recharge battery/s and reformat any SD card used once backed up. The bag and camera kit is then ready to grab and used. I do have a sensor wet cleaning kit but so far haven't needed it.

11. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I give my sensor a couple of puffs before a pro shoot but other than that I don;t bother. I've never had any of my sensors cleaned, nor would I attempt to do it myself.

12. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

A week or so ago. Very quick and easy to do.

13. Ilovemycam

Ilovemycam In the Stop Bath

Never, I may blow em once in a while but that is it.

14. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

I don't keep any of them that long................:)

15. Klaesser

Klaesser Active Member

Prefer to leave it alone - supposedly a self cleaner

16. spike 1960

spike 1960 New Member

I've had my DSLR for about 8 years now and never cleaned inside and so far haven't noticed any appreciable problems (touch wood) on the basis if I tried to poke about inside things I don't understand I would do more damage.

I do try and limit changing lenses outside particularly in wet weather.