1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - When did you last have a roll of film developed?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Damien_Demolder, Apr 23, 2012.

1. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

I’m not a great fan of the smell of chemist shops. I’m not entirely sure what that smell is, but they all have it. It’s the kind of odour I can’t breath in for long without feeling a bit ill. Perhaps that’s what it’s for – like the supermarket baker pumping the aroma of hot bread into the atmosphere – to encourage you to buy something.

There is a positive side to this smell, though. It immediately reminds me of the first roll of film I ever had developed. It was in a chemist shop near the house my parents still live in. You had to be quiet in there, just as if you were in church. The head pharmacist was the priest and the 4in-square washed-out prints were like a collection of disappointing holy relics.

The association between photography and the chemist shop is ages old, and while Boots says it isn’t giving up on film processing, it is obviously scaling back in less busy stores. It’s understandable, of course, but sad all the same. In all likelihood it won’t be too long before you can’t get a film processed on the high street, but when that day comes it will be purely because too few people are using the service. How much will you miss it?

Take part in this weeks poll When did you last have a roll of film developed? by clicking on the link.

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

two weeks ago but the week before that I had 14 developed
  3. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

About a year ago, maybe a bit more. Can't afford it any more. Hey ho.....
  4. Fen

Fen <span style="font-weight: bold; color: #AF7817;">L

Would this be having someone else develop your film, or doing it yourself?

Having someone else develop the film that would be about 12 weeks ago - three rolls of colour 120 film.

Doing it yourself, that would be about five weeks ago - two rolls of B&W 120 film.
  5. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

6. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

More than 5 years ago, ever since I got my first digital camera. I'll never say never, but ir's extremely unlikely I'll shoot film again, but I do have about ten rolls of film up to twenty odd years old that I've never got round to getting round to developing. Maybe some day.
  7. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Last week, and previously a couple of weeks before that. I think I'm averaging about a roll of 35mm a month, plus a few hundred frames of digital.

Now if only I could make 1 good photo a month... :)

The last time I developed a roll of film myself was about 40 years ago.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  8. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

Probably February. It wasn't that long ago that I had a bunch processed. I've got another half dozen in the fridge that get done when I've used up the rolls that are currently languishing in the cameras.
  9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

March. I've several rolls outstanding and a few sheets of 5x4 which are waiting for me to buy a MOD 54 kit. Will of course be doing some rolls for the Relic Challenge. :cool:
  10. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Since buying my first FF dSLR almost 3 years ago I've abandoned film. So I've not developed any film since then. Bit of a wrench after 50+ years but time and technology march on :)
  11. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

When did I last have a roll of film developed? Sometime last year, I think. When did I last have more than one roll developed at a time? Over 5 years ago, before I bought my EOS 5D. Once I could use my fisheye on digital, I pretty much lost the need for film. 2003 was the last year I used film in any significant volume.
  12. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I had some done last year. We had disposable cameras at our wedding 3 years ago but never got round to getting them developed. Yesterday I bought two disposable cameras for my 2.5 year old daughter and myself just for fun.
  13. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

I've just found an old disc camera still with 6 frames left to use. What's on the preceding 9? Who knows?

You don't get this level of suspense and excitement with digital.
  14. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

Yes you can!

Just don't look at them until you have downloaded them and post them without any processing in shop :)
  15. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Not in the current millennium
  16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

At least five years ago and that was Velvia.
    I last developed film for myself a couple of months ago and that was Delta 400.
  17. Wheelman

Wheelman Well-Known Member

I had 4 films developed and scanned on 19th August 2011.

This was the total film output for last year. I do try and shoot a few more just to excercise some of the film cameras.

I did re-stock with 10 rolls of Fuji so will be taking some of the film cameras out again shortly.
  18. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

I love the way that in the main forum listing this poll question appears as

'When was the last time you had...'

Please post possible endings below :)
  19. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

When did you last have....
    a cup of tea....
    good idea I'll put the kettle on
  20. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin