1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - What puts you off buying new camera kit?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Take part and vote on this week's poll - What puts you off buying new camera kit?

[​IMG]

2. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

A couple of points about the options.

It's not "all too expensive". Some stuff is, which is why "I don’t buy new", in general; I can't afford to, not "I prefer to".

As for "I don’t need it: I have everything I want", does anyone really have everything they want? I have everything I need, but that isn't the same thing. I quite fancy the new Olympus 30mm Macro lens, but...

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Want and need are two very different things. If I want an item of photography equipment and I can afford it, I'll generally buy it.

The main obstacle to me buying stuff is there's a set of burdizzo lying around here somewhere and my wife is familiar with their function.

4. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I answered that I buy everything I need - which sounds awful when I read it back! A more correct answer would be that I buy everything I want - as long as I can afford it!

I'm an amateur photographer and there's no way that I need any of the equipment that I own, however as long as I'm able to pay for my actual needs (shelter, fuel, clothing, food etc), then spending anything that's left over on the newest Nikon lens because I enjoy my hobby isn't unreasonable.

Cheers, Jeff

RogerMac likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

So did I. I want things that I have need for. I do not buy things for which I have no need.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Perhaps lack of storage space is the limiting factor

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I plumped for don't buy new because largely that's true. The last piece of new 'proper'* camera gear I bought was probably my monopod and before that either the 40D or a 50mm AF-D Nikkor lens.

* Batteries and spare QR mounts don't count...:D

8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I buy both new and Used. I simply buy what I have a need for.
    However I do not buy every thing that I might fancy.
    Though that does result in a health second hand market for the rest of us.

9. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

As long as the kit I've got keeps working, does what I want it to and film is still being produced then I don't need anything new.

Lynn

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Apart from a £7 lens last year, it has been nearly three years since I bought any camera gear (and that was a £30 lens, and that followed a few months after a £20 lens). Want? Yes. Need? Not really. Could usefully add to what I have now without cutting expending elsewhere? No.

I could easily bankrupt myself on film though. :oops:

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have more cameras than I can practically use, one of them, a D3, had well under 10,000 shutter actuation when I got it and it turned out to be a fairly early example in near mint condition. I paid considerably less than the new price. I use two D3 bodies with the Nikon trinity of lenses and have no real desire to buy anything else. I certainly dont need any new equipment.

12. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

These days as a pensioner I'm not in a position to buy stuff just because I fancy a new toy.
    I have to actually need it. ;)

13. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I put "I don’t need it: I have everything I want" But that is only half true... I am trying very hard to stick to this as I DO have everything I need but I am finding it very hard not to buy some more.

14. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Yes, it's a sort-of
    "I have everything I need, but not everything I want".
    I'd like a 70-200 f/2.8 and a super-tele-zoom such as a 150-600 but I'd probably use each of them only a few times each year so I can get by without. If they each cost around £10 there'd be no question, I'd buy both. But finding about 2 grand for such "frivolities" is a different matter

15. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Yes - I am one of those who should have answered "Nothing. I buy anything I want".

Having said that, I haven't made any significant purchases since swapping my Nikon D800 for a D810 a couple of years ago and changing my Epson R3000 for a P600.. Maybe in the coming year I'll decide that I want to swap my Panasonic GX7 for a GX8 but the urge has not yet solidified.

I think that there may be a bit of a shock in the buying cycle as a result of the big price hikes following the Brexit vote but I suspect that will dissipate within the next 12 months as folk get used to the new figures.

As to the local shops issue, I don't find that worries me. I have bought everything photographic on-line for the past 10 years or so, largely because I consistently found that the sales people in the shops generally knew far less about photography than I did myself. I was finally put off when I had a conversation with one such sales guy and he conceded that, in the two years he had worked in the shop, the only training he had been given was in the art of conning customers to buy extended warranties - a product upon which he received twice as much commission as on cameras and lenses. He was just back from a holiday in the Caribbean which he had been awarded as a prize for being the group's salesperson of the month.

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I have more than I need, and even have what I want. Of course I could buy lots of upmarket kit, but for what? I like new toys and could be tempted but that would be silly.
    A brace of similar very desirable DX cameras with the lenses that I use. An FX camera that comes out for relevant occasions, with a suitable lens, and to always carry around a Sony 100 compact mark3; who needs a ridiculously priced mark5.
    I admit that I am spoilt. But I am spoilt largely by my own efforts.

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I have a 24-120 f 4.0 and prefer that to the 24-70, 70-200 f2.8 duo. My choice is not as 'professional' but neither am I; it does what I want. As for a 150-600, presumable at f6.3, I bought a Nikon 200--500 at 5.6; 80-400 at f5.6 was another option. You takes your choice. If I was making photographs for a paid job then I would have gone up weight and aperture. If I could buy a puka 70-200 f2.8 for £10 then I would buy it and immediately sell it on for a profit. I guess that we all have our own choices and that gives incentive to the manufacturers to produce the choice.

18. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

I am actually lucky enough at the moment to be able to buy what I want, but that does not mean that it would be very smart...

19. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

Well I wonder if the reality is simply cameras are getting so high performance its tricky to work out if you need upgrading. :)

Let say you produce 12x18" prints which are likely to be printed at 300ppi by a commercial company assuming you got a reasonable border on your shot say 1" then 14MP on a good size sensor should be okay. :)

Now even beginner cameras have 24MP plus quite a lot of low budget lenses perform quite well. :)

I only upgraded (that was via 2nd hand) because I wanted better low light performance and more pixels for cropping.

That upgrade took me 4 years to justify, partly because the camera I had been having a good time with started showing a few signs of having control problems as well. Wear & tear of course LOL

So unless my current camera lets me down from a working point of view can't see a upgrade really. LOL

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
  20. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Going shopping.

PhotoEcosse likes this.