1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - What percentage of your photo equipment is second-hand?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

This week we ask - What percentage of your photo equipment is second-hand?

Take part and cast your vote

[​IMG]

2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Nearly all of it!

3. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Over half of it!

To be accurate... by value about half, by number of major items about three-quarters.

4. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

About 10% now but when I collected cameras about 99% :)

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

100% now I've got it: I could hardly sell it as new.

Seriously, dunno. A very high percentage, well over 90%, but a few high or very high value items from new (LF cameras and lenses, Alpa, Leica, Nikon Df) would distort the figures if I calculated on the basis of value.

I don't even know how many cameras and lenses I own, which is one reason why I don't buy much stuff any more: it has to be something I need, and there's not much of that any more. The last few purchases (working backwards) have been a s/h Micro Nikkor (ffrom Ffordes, the well-known AP advertisers) a few weeks ago; the Df new from Gray's (AP advertiser again) a couple of years ago; and a couple of new Leica lenses direct from Leica, but that was five years ago or more.

Cheers,

R.

6. DaveBromley

DaveBromley New Member

About 10% but thats only because ive only just started, i fully intent to take advantage of good quality secondhand glass as much as possible.

Dave

7. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Just call me Second Hand Rose...:D

8. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I have two fairly comprehensive Alpha 850 systems, one entirely bought new, and one partially bought second hand. All my tele-zooms (2 * 70-200 & 2 * 70-300) were bought new or new old stock, as after trying a few eBay jobs, they were usually decentered to some degree.

Standard zooms - 2 new, one 2nd hand
    W/A zooms - one of each.
    Macros - one of each.
    VGs - both new.
    Standard fixies - 2 new
    28 - 135mm - one of each (even if I did buy the new one in 1985 o_O)
    Bodies - 1 new, 1 ex-demo (600 shots)

9. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

About 10%

I prefer to buy new.

10. Roger Hicks

Try to find a new Thambar...

Cheers,

R.

11. KrystalsGrandad2502

KrystalsGrandad2502 Well-Known Member

Probably about 8 or 9% a single body and a lens

I would buy more second hand as I can't afford new.

12. retrofit

retrofit Well-Known Member

I do buy secondhand, I picked up a rather clean mechanically sound OM10 a few months back.

I just often buy new, availability permitting that is.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I would like to buy new but really good used equipment is significantly cheaper and I also like to eat!

14. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Only a rather nice OM10 I picked up in a flea market in Switzerland for almost nothing. I do however have some kit, going back to 1884, that is inherited..

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Less than half but that figure will only increase.

16. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Today so close to zero as makes no difference but 30 years ago 100% .

17. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I have a considerable amount of second-hand kit - mainly because I love cameras and now I have the opportunity to pick up all of those that I couldn't afford at the time for next to nothing online.

Cheers, Jeff

Roger Hicks likes this.
  18. Roger Hicks

Dear Pete,

What was wrong with the cameras, that led you to replace them?

Cheers,

R.

19. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

None of my photographic gear is second hand, I have I always saved hard and worked hard for extra pay to buy what I wanted, to-day I have a fx and dx plus a quality compact they are all used for different purposes and they are all a joy to use........but a few years ago I really wanted a Nikon D3, I saved hard for that camera, when it was time to buy they had gone up in price quite a lot, and I was gutted and I never bought my dream camera, but I was not desperate for a camera I already had one! now long retired and very much a senior just lately I have been checking the prices out of photographic gear and pictures of the Nikon D3 keep popping up at a fraction of the price when they were new...I am very tempted to re-live that dream......oh by the way I have never been a collector of cameras and most of my life I only ever had just the one camera and a back up which was never needed....

Last edited: Jul 1, 2016
  20. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

100%