1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - What kind of camera do you use for street photography?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Sep 27, 2016.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

This week we ask - What kind of camera do you use for street photography? Cast your vote on this week's poll.

[​IMG]

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

My only attempt at street photography was with a DSLR, so that's what I voted for!

When I started out to try a bit of 'street' I had the nagging feeling that I should have been using either my Fuji X-Pro1 or a film rangefinder like my Contax II, but the bottom line is that my DSLR is the camera that I feel most comfortable using and, to me, that's the most important thing.

Cheers, Jeff

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I don't do street photography these days but years ago I did and then used a rangefinder camera which isn't among your voting choices.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Honestly - whichever camera I have with me.

Zou likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Another odd selection. I'd have thought rangefinders, zoom and fixed lens compacts and bridge cameras all deserving of a choice. As I don't generally speaking take pictures of people at large (only if my patience at waiting for a clear people free scene gets exhausted) I was well catered for.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Mostly Rangefinder. Mostly Leica. The classic.

Cheers,

R.

7. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I rarely participate in "street" photography but if I am out I will probably carry an SLR. Although I have a Nikon 1J5 I really don't get on with it, an SLR does what it is told this is not true of the 1J5.

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I don't really do street photography but if I do happen to take photograph or two which might fit the concept it'll be with whatever camera I have with me - most likely a DSLR if I'm deliberately out to take pictures or a compact I'f I'm not...

9. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I don't really do much street photographer, but I usually carry a small film camera which sometimes gets used on the street, over the last year mainly Rollei B35, Braun Paxette, or Voigtlander Vitomatic. Some of these are rangefinders, some simple viewfinder.

10. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Personally I think the lens is more important than the camera. My favorite is a 40 mm pancake on a full frame body - relatively inconspicuous and giving plenty of IQ to allow cropping. If Canon made a 35mm pancake I would use that but I don't think they do. At least the lens is comparatively cheap.

11. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I use my little Fuji X30, but then I use it for about everything these days.

12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

If you're serious about street photography, then there is only one type of camera to use. This is the last one I used - got dozens of streets all in one go!

[​IMG]
    :D

EightBitTony, GeoffR and Geren like this.
  13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

The poll only allows you to select one option and I regularly use a variety of different cameras including DSLR, SLR, mirrorless compact (fixed lens), phone and medium format.

Zou likes this.
  14. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

Mirrorless Sony NEX 6 normally with an old Pentax 28mm lens, giving an effective 42mm focal length. Occasionally with a sigma 19mm, equating to 28mm FF.

If you lug a great FF DSLR onto the street you are in a different ball game, not necessarily worse, but different. There's less opportunity for candid shots, but perhaps you're more able to persuade people to pose. Having said that I find that a majority of people will agree to have their photo taken if engaged in conversation and asked politely!

15. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Is that Google, OS, or maybe military? I am surprised that its so short.

16. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

It's a Wild RC-10, fitted with a 6" lens, taking 9" by 9" negatives for photogrammetric mapping. I last used one in Yemen back in the last century. It could also be fitted with a 3.5" lens.

The military jobs were longer, because they used much longer focal length lenses. The last military job I used was a Vinton Triple Ray, which was actually three cameras linked together, with the outer lenses splayed outward to get a very wide field of view. Main use? - to see what was going on in East Germany without crossing the border.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

As above, a range of cameras, depending on what I have with me. Mirrorless, film SLR, film compact, digital compact, phone, medium and even large format pinhole.

18. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Whatever is over my shoulder.

19. ascu75

ascu75 Well-Known Member

I use whatever I take out. Lat week I had my TZ8 and asked a lady if I could photographer her multi coloured hair and I dont think it would have mattered if I had been with a full production team she would have been glad to cooperate. Down came her locks and swirled and posed to show them off. By now my wife had already died of embarrassment and walked away. I only to a couple of shots as to be honest she looked much better unguarded than in pose.

20. Louise

Louise Well-Known Member

It was my Panasonic TZ70, looks like I might not have that for long :((