1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - What is the largest capacity memory card you own?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Dec 8, 2015.

1. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

32gb in a D800 used as if loaded with Kodak "echacrome" 50(er..slide film), only take 2 if you think shutter speed was to slow and I can shoot for 2 weeks when touring, without uploading.

2. Smith Jr.

Smith Jr. Active Member

16gb SanDisc extreme plus.

What is considered the best these days?

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

One 64GB CF card.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

There are 2 theories. The commonly-held one is to use several small cards to minimise the risk of losing images in the event of card failure.
    Mine is to use large cards to minimise the risk of permanent loss of images by losing cards and missing images whilst changing cards (especially since the only time I've corrupted a card was by removing it whilst the camera was still writing to it), and that you can almost always recover lost images from a corrupted card anyway.
    So I would suggest buying cards bigger than one day's shooting, BUT always carry a spare. And look at what size provides best value for money - at the moment, that's 16GB and 32GB.

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I bought four 32 gig SD cards for my X-T1 to take on holiday, and didn't even fill one! I guess I'm a parsimonious shooter.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Whilst on the subject of spares keep at least one spare attached to the camera strap in a mall pocket. That covers the case where you leave hurriedly for a photo-op but the card is still in the computer

7. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I recently bought a 32GB card but my D7000 doesn't like it, although the P7100 does. Odd.

8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Knowing what I'm like at losing things I did tend to subscribe to the 'smaller but more of them' theory and have a collection of 4GB and 8GB CF cards. However I won a 32GB SD card which I use in my fuji and I have to say, I like knowing that it's unlikely I'm going to miss a shot becuase all of a sudden the card is full. I also recently suffered the annoyance of having the card fill up while we were doing a moving image project and have to recognise that certainly for video work, a bigger card would have been better. I'm a bit cash-strapped at the moment but a couple of higher capacity cards are on my wishlist!

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have a 128GB Micro SD card in a Nifty Drive in my MacBook Air, this is sufficient for a two week holiday. I have a spare too.
    There is a 64GB Micro SD card in a Nifty Drive in my wife's MacBook Pro, for no particular reason, and I have another spare
    My Nikon 1 J5 has a 32GB Micro SD card, which I am unlikely to fill.

Other than that we have about 14 16GB CF cards for our Nikon D2 and D3 bodies,

Somewhere I have a 1GB IBM Microdrive and associated adaptors, including a PCMCIA adaptor. I think I paid around £200 for it back in 2003, the 128GB Micro SD card was around £25.

10. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Nearly all mine are 8GB.

Though I do have a very old Jessops 64MB card in my Vivitar 8027. It seemed enough at the time.

11. Wheelu

Wheelu Well-Known Member

16 GB. I failed to completely fill two of them during 5 weeks spent abroad last year.

I don't shoot sport, and for action shots I typically pre-focus and normally take just a couple.

I generally delete any obviously duff stuff immediately after shooting, and then review the remainder in camera each evening. Being a natural procrastinator, I prefer to minimise the choices I have to make when the time comes to process in LR, otherwise hours are wasted in contemplating the best choice from a selection of the mediocre. The good ones leap from the screen and are self selecting.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Which, I forgot to say, is for sport.

13. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I now have a 32GB card - in my mobile phone. Mostly music but plenty of space for photos too.

14. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I usually have a 64GB in my D810, however I grabbed the camera out of my bag on Tuesday morning to take a shot and realised that the card was still at home plugged into my PC!

A schoolboy error if ever there was one! I'm currently using a spare 8GB that I had in my pocket.

As an aside, since I no longer carry a fob watch, the watch pocket on my jeans now always seems to hold a spare SD card and a guitar plectrum. To date I've never accidentally put one through the washing machine either!

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

How many shots do you get on a plectrum...:D

16. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Somewhere in my junk drawers there must still be a 16MB Nikon card that came with my D30 - on JPEG it equates to about a 36 shot film, in raw 5 maybe 6 shots if I was lucky...

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  17. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

The strangest item I still use is in my Fujifilm S1 Pro - it's an IBM 1GB microdrive that I bought some time during 2000 and cost, if I recall correctly, somewhere in the region of £500 at the time!

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I've got one somewhere, but it was a lot less than that, bought in 2004 for my EOS 10D - would've been in the region of £100. I bought my 64GB and 5 32GB cards the other week for a lot less than that total.

19. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

My largest is a 64GB, which gets moved between my two Alpha A850s, depending on which is in use. In each bag I have (in theory :rolleyes:) a 32GB, 16GB, and a fast 8GB. Incidentally, I keep a Sony 16GB Memory Stick in each second slot, in case I should forget to put a card in the camera - quick menu visit to swap cards et voila!

Another bit of possibly misplaced theory - a large card should be more reliable, and last longer than a smaller card, as it will have fewer Write/Read/Format cycles - and possibly fewer insertions/extractions.