1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - What is the largest capacity memory card you own?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, Dec 8, 2015.

1. Chrissie_Lay

Chrissie_Lay AP Editor's PA

Take part and vote on this week's poll - What is the largest capacity memory card you own?

[​IMG]

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

16GB, and never even close to filled it.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

8 GB -- and sometimes needed 2 or 3 when travelling.

Then again, I shoot Raw and I shoot more than on film, when I'd take 50-100 rolls to India (1800-3600 shots) for 3 weeks.

Cheers,

R.

4. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I have a 16 Gb as standard but carry two 8Gb cards as spares.
    however I empty the card every day that I use it so it never gets anwhere near full.

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

16 gig card for photos, but a 256 gig SSD for my Blackmagic camera, which it can fill in half an hour.

6. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Normally I have two 64Gb cards in the camera and two spare in the bag. One 64Gb card can take almost 1000 of my D810 raw files (although the counter starts at 793 but does not go down one for one).

If I am on an extended trip when 4 x 64Gb will not be enough (such as on a 7-week road trip in USA last year) I take a small notebook with a 512Gb hard disc and download from the cards to that at regular intervals.

I never "edit" what is on my cards by deleting obvious duplicates and suchlike while on a trip. I could probably make the cards last longer if I did but the evidence (or is it just rumour?) seems to suggest that cards are much more prone to failure if files are constantly being deleted on the run, as it were, rather than leaving everything on the card until it has been imported into Lightroom and the card then formatted properly in the camera.

7. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

32 Gb which is far more than enough for my still photography.
    I use raw+ jpeg on D800 and D7100.
    I have 16Gb in a Sony RX100M3
    If I made video then I would buy bigger and faster cards.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Each of my MacBooks has a 64GB Micro SD card in a Nifty Drive, this is to keep Office files off the "hard" drive. In my Nikon 1 I have a 32GB Micro SD card, simply because that was what I had available and it will take years to fill. In each of my D3 bodies I have two 16GB CF cards and I carry spares.

So the biggest card I have is 64GB but they will probably never see the card slot in a camera.

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I might have a 16 GB as card 2 in one camera but it is so long since I filled card 1 that I cannot remember. The standard is 8 GB. I don't store on the camera cards so they always start empty.

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

16GB and have filled it in a matter of hours shooting weddings and sports events. Sometimes I filled an 8GB or two as well :eek:

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

16GB which is far more than I need for the way I use the camera but I tend to leave images on the card, instead of deleting them until I sure that the ones on the computer are properly backed up, so it does fill up. Occasionally I go to a grandchild's concert and make a video and the next time I do that I will buy a larger card.

12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Body A: Main slot 64GB, 2nd slot 16GB
    Body B: Main slot 32GB, 2nd slot 8GB

In the bag: 1 x 32, 2 x 16, 2 x 8GB

In the luggage/car: Tablet (or Net-book or both) with 256GB SSD backup drive.
    If I swap bodies to even-out the shutter-count, the cards get swapped too.

Does the team think...

...I carry enough storage? :eek: :D

13. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Usually 8gb or 16gb for the still cameras, but two 32gb micro SD cards for my GoPro Action Camera.

14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Until earlier this year my biggest was 4Gb but I now have a couple of 8Gb SD cards, mostly because anything smaller is not easily available - if at all...

My biggest CF cards are still only 4Gb though as none of my cameras really require anything much bigger...

I even still have a quartet of 256Mb but they're now relegated to spares for the old D30.

15. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

A 16GB and that's way too big … I miss my 4GB's but, be d@mned, if I canfind them anymore :(Jack

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I use mostly 32GB cards, supplemented by 16 gig ones. I like cards big enough that I don't have to change them mid-shoot, which is where the chances of losing shots comes in, either because of the time taken, or because you remove a card whilst being written to, which I believe is where most file corruption comes from, or simply because the risk of then losing the card is much higher. Small cards terrify me.
    16 would be enough for most uses, but I find that when travelling, 32 tends to last about a week.

17. Bejay

Bejay Well-Known Member

Was it really that long ago I had to save up (IIRC it cost £120) for my first 1GB CF drive for my 300D..

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Thinking back, I seem to recall having a 16MB card. Must see if I can still find it. Probably Smart Media.

19. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

I've got two 16GB cards in the D7000 that were part of the package when I bought it. The D80 and D40 have 4GB cards in, although the D40 has been known to have a 2GB card in it.

I don't think I even own an 8GB card. I bought loads of 4GB cards when Morrison's was selling twin packs for a fiver.

20. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

I have a 128MB SmartMedia card that I paid £80 for. It was marked down from £120 so I snapped it up and lived on plain pasta for the next fortnight.