1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - What do you find the hardest kind of picture to keep sharp with AF?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Liam Clifford

Liam Clifford Active Member

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

None of the choices available.

Jimbo57, Zou and PeatSmoke like this.
  3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Sports and maybe wildlife, Following moving subjects seems to be a bit tricky for both me and my cameras and neither of us can always manage to keep up...:rolleyes:

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The questions don't make sense. AF problems are per picture - not a type of picture.

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Wasn't worth the wait. The page took an age to load. I was able to find next week's poll in the mag while waiting.

Agree genres aren't examples.

6. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Very strange page. How am I supposed to know or want to know anything about Ilford or Leyton and what the heck is the Morrowwind expansion? Weird. Anyway, to answer the question, I find hand-held exposures over a second most difficult to keep sharp.

7. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Well, for me, it would have to be anything that moves. If it doesn't move I use Manual Focus.

8. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Anything that either doesn't move (in which case manual focus works fine) or anything that does move (in which case it is generally more effective to pre-focus on a given spot, manually of course, or to follow focus manually).

There is however one type of picture where I recommend autofocus: ones where I hand my camera over to someone else who doesn't realize that some cameras can be focussed thoughtfully and manually.

It took a moment, incidentally, before I read the name of the quiz company as "apester" instead of just plain "pester" with an odd blob in front. Then I wondered about the relevance of "ape". Chimping, perhaps? Or typing out the complete works of Shakespeare?

Cheers,

R.

9. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Likewise

10. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I could not answer the question this time as it made no sense Photographically.

All of the genres given could contain easy to focus subjects, and more difficult ones, depending on subject, light level and type of movement.
    But providing you are using the right technique, and have equipment with a sufficiently advanced autofocus system and one that can be turned to manual when needed, any genre of activity can be accomplished with relative ease.
    However People have been successfully shooting all these subjects, with manual focus lenses, since the dawn of photography.

Sometimes autofocus is very much second best.

This is almost certainly true for all static subjects such as Stitched Panoramic photography, macro work, architecture, technical and for still life.
    As in all photography you must know what you are doing, to be able to get the result you want.

I find I use the ability of my camera to take a spot Auto focus, at the press of a button when in manual mode, almost as much as Full auto focus.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I think I understand AF rather better than I understand this poll

12. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

It's REALLY HARD keeping things in focus with autofocus on my 8x10 inch De Vere.

Cheers,.

R.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  13. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Well Mr H, the answer to that is easy - just stick a 120mm lens on the front, set it at f11, set the focus at just shy of four feet and then everything from two feet to infinity will be in focus!

Problem solved!

Cheers, Jeff

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The autofocus on my mum's Brownie 127 always worked. :cool:

15. Jimbo57

Jimbo57 Well-Known Member

The answer options (or maybe just the question) seem even more badly thought out than usual. In wildlife photography my AF has no problem with bird on a stick but may struggle with a raptor fishing. In sports photography, a formula one car may present greater problems than a snooker player.

PhotoEcosse likes this.