1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - What do you find is the biggest annoyance with home printing?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Liam Clifford, Aug 16, 2017.

1. Liam Clifford

Liam Clifford Active Member

Take part in this week's poll.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Why so negative? I didn't read the article in AP as aiming to dissuade people. Sure it's expensive but I can't describe costs as "annoying"

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Well not had any gremlins since I stopped using Epson printers. Quality was good, but....
    The reason I don't print much at home is that when I want a print these days, I'm generally printing larger than A3, or having a photobook, if it's personal stuff, or it's too time intensive for pro stuff.

Catriona likes this.
  4. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Papers and inks which are nowhere near smudge-proof. Any photos I print at home are merely for my own use - initial selections for possible exhibitions, calendars etc. What I then actually need for calendars, exhibitions etc. is either printed professionally or sent through a printing machine in either a photography shop or a drug store.

Lynn

5. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

There isn't an option for not having a problem. I only print up to A2 but don't find it that expensive and there are many positives to printing your own.

6. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Given up printing photos at home. I got fed up being ripped off for the ink - probably costs tuppence a bucketful to produce and they sell it for the price of gold! :rolleyes:

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Setting up a temporary darkroom in the kitchen.

Getting the blackout complete was a real bugger, setting up the enlarger and other stuff took ages, and the need to clean up afterwards before my wife got home meant that there wasn't much time for the printing. I gave up about 25 years ago, but still have some monochrome prints and even some (very few) successful Cibachrome prints from Kodachrome slides.

Or have I misunderstood the question, forgetting how young Liam appears to be?

8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Kinda helps if a) you looked at the poll and b) read AP this week

9. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I had looked at the poll - there was no option for my reply.
    Yet another AP poll that assumes that the range of answers must cover everybody, when it completely ignores a lot of us.

The article is clearly aimed at Lightroom or Photoshop enthusiasts, so did not get read in great detail. But I did notice the advice to increase the brightness of images to be printed, which should have been the first thing on the list. I have learned this myself when ordering prints from the Jessops website (an expensive learning curve).

10. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I detest home printing, at least for photos. Far too unreliable, expensive and frustrating. If I printed on a regular basis it would probably make sense, but I don't so lab printing for me.

11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I am currently stalled in the process of printing out family photographs from holidays taken over the last decade or so. The most frustrating thing is only having one laser printer, the lack of decent photo paper for laser printers, and other people jumping onto the print queue and printing off stupid internet memes on my expensive photo paper! Or recipes. (Actually that was me.)

12. PhotoEcosse

PhotoEcosse Well-Known Member

Another one of those polls where I needed an additional option - "None of those".

There is really nothing about home printing that annoys me. Yes, it would be nice if inks were a little less expensive but, despite the fairly high costs, home printing gives me so much more control over the final quality of my prints that I consider it to be excellent value for money.

Gezza likes this.
  13. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Home printing...

14. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I must say I now only make reference prints. I leave the real thing to the experts.
    However I do calibrate my screen, as without even taking that small step, the chances of seeing or printing any thing near to the desired result is remote indeed.

I think the term "annoying" was the wrong to use one as applied to most of the answers.

High quality home printing is certainly achievable. though it is highly technical, relatively expensive and time consuming.
    With the right equipment and training it is not so difficult that any competent Photographer could not learn the necessary skills.
    Any more than it was to make excellent colour prints in the darkroom.
    However it is not something to be taken lightly, or with out considerable commitment, if you want to obtain consistent results.

15. Mandy Steer

Mandy Steer New Member

I get frustrated by the huge brightness difference between our lovely new, backlit monitors and the final print. I know this is a problem yet every time I adjust the image to the point it looks awful on screen, it still prints too dark on the first print. I hate waste, but I love being able to print my own images as I want it exactly how I want it to look, as I am very sensitive to any colour shifts. It took a long time to find a printer that suited me though, many expensive mistakes in my past.

16. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

For once I found a perfect response to tick.
    Result I feel very ordinary. I'm not used to so many people agreeing with me.

17. jimh

jimh Member

Why does this "weekly" poll still appear on my screen?

18. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

You do realise that you are replying to a very old thread.

19. jimh

jimh Member

Yes, I still get this version of this poll on my Chromebook! It's beginning to irritate.