1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - What camera would you take on a European city break?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, May 17, 2016.

1. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

I bought my CSC outfit for travel photography after I got fed up with lugging DSLRs around. I did do one trip to Prague where I just took my D80 with a 35mm f1.8 on it and thoroughly enjoyed the challenge.

Tally Ho! Andrew

2. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Perhaps the question should be "What camera / lens(es) combination do you take........."

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Andrew,

But as one of my main reasons for going anywhere is to take (preferably high quality) pictures, "not lugging cameras around" is not really an option.

Cheers,

R.

4. spangler

spangler Well-Known Member

I'm quite happy with the quality of image I get with my Lumix m4/3 gear and I can squeeze it all into a small Lowepro sling bag!

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Indeed, a much more interesting topic - to see what other photographers think it is worth carrying for a few days as a stranger in a strange land (everywhere outside the UK is pretty strange, if you ask me). :D

I have an excellent Kata (now Manfrotto) holster bag, which takes my Sony A850 + VG with 24-70mm f:2.8 mounted, and in the side pockets, on the right, a 50mm f:1.4 and the Sony baby flash, and on the left a Sigma 17-35mm f:2.8>4, the smallest super-wide zoom, just small enough to fit in that pocket. I also have a Sony 75-300mm in a belt pouch - again a small, light lens, but that usually stays in the Hotel unless I am going out of the Town/City.

This is the minimum I take with me, when travelling in company - on my own, the list is longer, the kit heavier, the bags more numerous, the pain greater...:eek::D

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My normal travel kit is EOS 6D, 8-15mm Fisheye, 16-35mm f4, 24-70mm f4, 70-300mm f4-5.6, 40mm f2.8 and Lensbaby. Plus EOS M3, 11-22mm, 18-55mm, 55-200mm and 22mm f2, plus EF adaptor. Would normally carry one or the other kit - the full frame DSLR for when I was expecting to take photos as a primary activity, the CSC for when I wasn't. Quite possible that one or more DSLR lenses might not go with me every time, particularly after a first visit or when I actually have something in mind. Also possible the CSC and mount adaptor come as a backup. CSC and prime also used as an almost-pocketable combination.
    The bag I use is a relatively small Kata bag that doesn't really get in the way; DSLR and all those lenses is quite heavy, although each item is about as light as possible for the quality. CSC kit in the same bag is incredibly light, but nothing like as much fun.

7. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

A bag..? Sounds like you'd be better off with a wheelbarrow!

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Not in the slightest. Bag is 22 cm wide, 30 long and 22 high.

9. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Is it bigger on the inside?

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Just well-designed. And it's either DSLR and lenses OR CSC and lenses in it, not the whole lot. Sometimes a small flash, too. Just big enough, but everything has to go in the right place or I can't close it. ;)

11. JBJB

JBJB Well-Known Member

The Fuji X100 series are lovely cameras (IMHO, of course). The X100T completely reinvigorated my interest in photography - the "computer with a lens attached" nature of some digital cameras put me off for many years (a bit odd, seeing as I'm 30+ years into a career as a computer scientist and electronic engineer, and otherwise ridiculously gadget-friendly). The X100T has a traditional shutter speed dial, and aperture and focus rings. It's like using a "real"camera - I can (mostly) avoid all the menus and just take pictures.

I enjoyed it so much, I bought an XPro2 and a few primes and am loving that even more.

Probably nothing (apart from having AF, should you ever want it). It's lot cheaper than an M9 though, so for those of us whose photography is limited by our ability rather than the equipment (I'm the first to admit I'm not very good, but I do enjoy it), it's a nice option.

That's one of the reasons I love my X100T and XPro2 - they handle very much like the manual film camera I used decades ago.

/JB

12. gm1tbw

gm1tbw New Member

After carrying around an Olympuse e500 with a couple of kit lenses and a small video camera for a couple of hours I changed to a Lumix FZ150 and I appreciate the light weight of the Lumix doing everything I want.