1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll - What camera would you take on a European city break?

Discussion in 'Weekly Poll' started by Chrissie_Lay, May 17, 2016.

1. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I bought a 10-24 to give wide-angle of viewon my Fuji E2 rather than take a big camera on my last holiday (not to a city) but I am not sure I like what the wide end does to buildings. I guess I have to buy a 16-35 to compare. Preferably I'd take a 24 TSE on a 5D.

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Didn't you have a lovely time? :)

I usually have some form of compact in my pocket whenever I go out, currently a Rollei B35, but due to health issues, I haven't been to any other cities for over a year. I think the last time was to Bath last April, when I had a Braun Paxette with 35 & 50 mm lenses, as well as a Pentax K3 with Sigma 17-70.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Steve,

Yes.

Why do you think I wrote "You never go to London? Or Bristol? Or..."

The clue lies in "Or".

Cheers,

R.

4. Roger Hicks

I'll never understand the concept of taking a second-best (or second-rate) camera to somewhere I want to take pictures.

Cheers,

R.

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I only wondered because with a population of <14,000, would it count in any sensible definition of "city". Apart from being a bit of a dump of course.

S

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Would you take your best camera on a stag weekend?;)

Usually it's work that takes me to cities and I'd rather not have to cart a big camera around if I'm unlikely to make good use of it.

7. Roger Hicks

Well, I've never been to one, but I can't see why not. If it's going to be so unpleasant I can't carry a Leica I don't think I'd want to go. From what I can see, "stag weekend" in this context is code for "too much money, too little sense".

Cheers,

R.

8. Roger Hicks

Dear Steve,

"City" is a legal status, nothing to do with population. The nearest city to me is Loudun, pop. about 6700; the smallest city in the UK (St. Davids) has a population of under 2000.

Cheers,

R

9. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

I did for my stag weekend, although I didn't take it (Mamiya C330 + 3 lenses) with me when I dived off the end of the Royal Northern Yacht Club pier in Rhu, into the Clyde at two o'clock in the morning in full dinner jacket.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Certainly did on the last one I went on. Wasn't alone, either, as it was Fen's stag do. ;)

11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

In don't consider my 'travel' camera (the Fuji) to be a second best or second rate camera though. I just generally choose the camera that's going to suit my purposes best at the time.

Learning likes this.
  12. Roger Hicks

Which for me is rarely if ever a compact. A Leica or Nikon is my starting point; if I want more quality, or a different look, I'll generally go for something bigger. Admittedly I'm not familiar with the Fuji. It looks very good (I've not handled one since the prototypes at photokina) but I don't need another expensive camera. What does it do that my M9 (or even M8) doesn't?

EDIT: I should have said quality and ease of use.I don't like learning to use new cameras unnecessarily: I prefer to work with the ones I know, because it's quicker and I get better results.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: May 18, 2016
  13. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I know, I know, but Bangor? You wouldn't wish it on an enemy!

S

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Neither do I. I consider my Sony compact the best camera for purpose in this context. I have flown to Europe with only a cabin bag. Bought new shirts, socks and pants while there while discarding used ones in rubbish bins. Wasteful yes, but it is convenient, and not too expensive if the discarded items come from an asian sweat shop via primark or European equivalents. I don't discard cameras .

Geren likes this.
  15. mike_j

mike_j Well-Known Member

Sony A6000 with 18-200mm lens. Covers everything and pretty good on video as well.

16. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Last city break was Oslo two years ago. I took Sony NEX-3n, 16-50mm kit lens, Fujian 35mm lens and Zero 45 5x4" pinhole with tripod and several double dark slides. Next trip likely to be just the Sony and a film SLR with two lenses, but it depends on the destination.

17. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

I have 3 cameras, a good quality compact, a so called starter DSLR Nikon D3300, and a FX camera, they all have their purposes, and for a European break it would have to be the D3300 with the standard 18-55mm lens, as I have got older cameras seem to have got heavier so I am a one camera one lens man when travelling and I always seem to get a nice selection of picture's, but after saying that I am in Eire at the mo and the weather has not been good so the camera has stopped in the bag and I have stopped in the bar!

18. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Why have a camera if you aren't going to use it? The majority of people don't have the option, they only have one "Camera" (they may have a phone with a camera I suppose). We are pretty weird here in having multiple cameras.

19. Roger Hicks

Dear Geoff,

Well, yes. Why would I not use my M9?

Cheers,

R.

20. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

My tried and trusted Praktica TL1000 - possibly two (colour and b&w) - and whichever lenses I think might be appropriate. Not forgetting a supply of films of course.

Lynn